PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here-Question

cdawnreed
09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I stumbled on this forum after being a member of the cycling forum for a few months. I am new to cycling but not to lifting. I am 32 yo and have been lifting seriously off and on for about 4 years. I would like to ask a question to the group, my problem is I think I work out too long. I normally work out 1.5-2 hrs a day/4 days a week. I do a 2 day split twice a week. Day 1: Chest/Back superset and Bi/Tri superset. Day 2: Legs/Shoulders Day 3: rest. Then repeat. I try to get in 30-45 minutes of cardio on those 4 days also. Does this training split seem reasonable, of do you need more info? I have been off for several months, due to an injury. Most of my muscle tone is gone and I have gained several pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh 137 pounds. I would like to get down to 128lbs and of course increase my definition. What do you guys think?

MsFit
09-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Yes, you are over training. To lose fat you need to eat properly and train intensely, yet briefly. Cut your training down to an hour 3-5 days a week... whatever works best for you. Might try and do your cadio on your days off from lifting for better balance. I'd lower it to 20 minutes then add 5 minutes each week and build it back up that way.

cdawnreed
09-22-2004, 05:24 AM
So should I continue to do weights 4 days a week? How would you recommend that I cut back to an hour a day? And why would you recommend that I cut my cardio back to 20 min?

Thanks for the reply

MsFit
09-22-2004, 07:30 AM
You can do weights 4-6 days a week. I feel one body part a week is enough though.

There's no need in training over an hour. When I was young I had a 12:00 curfew and I fought this all the time with my parents. Mom said I don't need to be out past 12. I said anything I can do after 12 I can do before. :o Same concept. Anything you can do in 1.5 hours, you can do in just 1 hour.

Training 1-2 body parts should not take more than an hour, if so, you are doing too much. Use 2-3 exercises per body part, 3-4 sets and 6-12 reps. As you advance, you go more on the low end. I do 3 sets with 4 reps when I want to put on muscle and play in the 10 rep range when I want to maintain. I'm at my natural muscle max, so I all I can do is increase density really.

Your primary goal is weight loss. You are doing 4 days of cardio at 45 minutes. It won't be long before your body adapts. What do you do next? Increase cardio. Before you know it, you'll be a 1.5 hours of cardio 6 days a week and wondering why you are losing or seeing changes. Cardio adaption.

It would be to your advantage to just start over. If your diet is clean, you won't gain weight. Start off with 20 minutes of cardio 3-4 days a week and increase it by 5 minutes each week so you are slowing building and keeping your body off guard at the same time. At least this way, you have something to fall back on when cardio plateaus. Another way to break though plateaus is HIIT. I like to toss it in once or twice a week for a good shock or when I feel my body is adapting to the current cardio.

Listen to your body, but keep it guessing and you'll get the body you desire. ;)

The Elite Physique (www.theelitephysique.com)