PDA

View Full Version : The telltale physical signs a woman is a serious lifter

sweetbecky
09-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey all,
I read in another thread that Marilyn Monroe was thought to be a "secret bodybuilder" because of her expanded ribcage. When I go to bodybuilding shows, I see women in the audience who have tiny butts and no hips, and a wide upper back. What are some other traits on a woman's body that tell you she lifts seriously?

1stindoor
09-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Hey all,
What are some other traits on a woman's body that tell you she lifts seriously?

Your protein powder keeps disappearing faster than you can drink it.

Thunder_Bunny
09-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Her expanded rib cage might have been due to genetics. Both my mother and I have larger rib cages and this was before I even touched a weight.

Hmm.. Some other traits...a serious lifter can be caught checking out their muscles in the mirror. :)

Clear Intention
09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Trait: you feel like you're in a steel bear trap when she gives you a hug. :D

fitormiss
09-20-2004, 04:05 PM
When your 8 year old says the only comfy thing to lay on anymore is your boobs.

kaylers
09-20-2004, 04:35 PM
1. Carry around your meals in tupperware/cooler
2. Have whey in a shaker in your purse
3. Do a real nice squat
4. When you have realized its not just about exterior strength, but also inner strength that makes you a serious lifter
5. When you subscribe to bodybuilding forums (hehe)

Defiant1
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Hey all,
I read in another thread that Marilyn Monroe was thought to be a "secret bodybuilder" because of her expanded ribcage. When I go to bodybuilding shows, I see women in the audience who have tiny butts and no hips, and a wide upper back. What are some other traits on a woman's body that tell you she lifts seriously?

YOUR face has brush-burns from kissing her.

(Oops that's steroids) :D

Tom Ricci
09-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Good shoulders

themainman
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
When she puts up more weight than you.

Hibiscus09
09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
When the person is actually very sweet spirited but starts throwing dirty looks at people to scare them off so they don't try to chat her up while she's supersetting. :D

kaylers
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
LMAO... I know that face you are talking about! LOL...

pinfrEak
09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
If she's in tthe gym not bull ****ting and hitting the weights hard.

Kane Fan
09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
when she does a chin up or lifts a weight that makes her put forth actual effort

fitormiss
09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
When guys in the gym stop asking if she needs a spot, and starts asking if she'll spot them.

Titania
09-22-2004, 07:48 AM
She never wears long sleeve tops.

She has two meals and a spoon in her handbag at all times.

She brings her own food to the restaurant.

She eats meat and veggies on public transport.

Her arms are bigger than the calves of the guy next to her.

She carries all the groceries in from the car with one hand and uses the other to unlock the front door.

She carries her husband over the threshold on her honeymoon.

All the 45 lb plates dissappear from the weight stand on her leg day.

.....and you all think I'm joking :eek:

MsFit
09-22-2004, 07:59 AM
1. Carry around your meals in tupperware/cooler
2. Have whey in a shaker in your purse
3. Do a real nice squat
4. When you have realized its not just about exterior strength, but also inner strength that makes you a serious lifter
5. When you subscribe to bodybuilding forums (hehe)

Wow!! Think we knew each other in a former life? Feels like I'm reading my own post reading yours.

MsFit
09-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Nice to see you again Titania. :)

She's depressed when she loses 2 pounds and is the only female happy to actually gain weight.

Does squats with more than just the bar.

Freaks out when she misses a meal.

Runs to her car while clubbing to scarf down tuna and veggies.

Eats raw broccoli on the stalk while driving.

Lifts more than her dad when moving furniture upstairs.

Schedules life around her training.

Chooses a job that allows her to train properly...not a lot of travel or strange hours.

Makes a happy plate all the time, provided her portions are measured out to ensure she's not over or under eating.

Hate's the questions.."Do you workout" or "How much do you lift"?

Titania
09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Wow, Karen....are you sure you're not my long lost twin??
Perhaps you, me and kaylers are triplets LOL :D

darkangel
09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Great thread! I'm still aspiring to be all of these things!

kaylers
09-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Phew... good thing to know I'm not the only tupperware purse smuggler. Its encouraging to know that others organize their lives around leading a healthy lifestyle!!

:)

sweetbecky
09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Phew... good thing to know I'm not the only tupperware purse smuggler. Its encouraging to know that others organize their lives around leading a healthy lifestyle!!

:)
lol...
When you don't appreciate the free lunch offered in business meetings (sandwiches, chips and cookies)... and your assistant knows enough to order you a salad with lots of chicken! :D

We're the normal ones!

Anima
09-22-2004, 02:09 PM
chooses her new home based on it's proximity to her gym (I know I did!)

kaylers
09-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Saw a t-shirt saying
'Eat, Sleep, Train' and then Compete

at a competition this weekend. I think we should create our own! Our would of course be for the serious lifter that says

'Eat, Sleep, Post, Train' and the compete :)

hehe.. post in relation to posting here ....

Titania
09-22-2004, 06:26 PM
LOL kaylers :D

I'm going to print this thread, frame it and put it on the wall of my gym. ;)

Anima
09-22-2004, 11:24 PM
When your computer at home and at work has hot looking female BB's for the desktop as inspiration

When even your dog suddenly looks like a bodybuilder (I have a couple of Jack Russel terriers and they look like little muscle men to me!)

When you look at a nice set of arms on a man and it is not so much a sex thing as a "I want a pair of those too!" feeling

When you find yourself seriously torn between paying bills or getting that little weight set you saw for travel!

Clear Intention
09-23-2004, 05:50 AM
When even your dog suddenly looks like a bodybuilder (I have a couple of Jack Russel terriers and they look like little muscle men to me!)

LOL I thought I was the only one who suddenly noticed that my dogs looked very muscular and ripped. :p

hotgymchick
09-23-2004, 06:17 AM
LOL ladies, some of these a great.

You can tell a woman is serious about the gym if she:

-Dresses the part. This one is a big one for me as I saw a woman at the gym today wearing 2 necklaces,huge bangly bracelets, full makeup, hair down, a tight catsuit I think it was, and clogs. She was running on the treadmill. I cant take a woman seriously about fitness if she looks like shes ready for a date rather than working out. Last night I was doing cardio and there were these 2 girls about 16 there. They were doing 3 minutes on the elliptical then hitting on teen boys. They were in normal clothes and full makeup. Come on! I'm not saying everyone has to dress like me (baggy sweats, hat, no makeup) but at least wear something designed to work out in.

And the eating thing. Its refreshing to hear women talk about food from a fitness standpoint than the normal "I'll eat 400 calories a day til I fit into a bikini". Come on, women. You're fat because you eat **** and don't work out. Starving yourself will just make it worse.

Rant over!

Anima
09-26-2004, 07:55 AM
She goes out on a first date and, despite him being good looking, well off and available, she rejects him cause he makes disparaging remarks about her training..... "Why do you want to go and do that for? They're ugly!!"

Exit stage left....

BellaLove
09-26-2004, 11:33 AM
When the person is actually very sweet spirited but starts throwing dirty looks at people to scare them off so they don't try to chat her up while she's supersetting. :D

LOL---I LOVE IT!!! and sooooo true!!!

BellaLove
09-26-2004, 11:36 AM
When your day revolves around what time your next meal is.

kaylers
09-26-2004, 12:05 PM
When your computer at home and at work has hot looking female BB's for the desktop as inspiration

When you look at a nice set of arms on a man and it is not so much a sex thing as a "I want a pair of those too!" feeling

When you find yourself seriously torn between paying bills or getting that little weight set you saw for travel!

So, I'm not the only one with a nice pic of a BB on my screen?? And not the only person who's homepage is fitday.com

Hahah, I love this thread!

ctgblue
09-26-2004, 02:30 PM
this ones for my wife

When the guys are freaked out by her leg press of 5 plates per side, until they realize she's about to add more plates....;.

Emma-Leigh
09-26-2004, 03:57 PM
this ones for my wife

When the guys are freaked out by her leg press of 5 plates per side, until they realize she's about to add more plates....;.

:D

Sunshineslynn
09-26-2004, 04:05 PM
When her triceps are visible and shoulders well defined from the arms. No flapping skin on the arms....

Laurie
09-26-2004, 10:43 PM
When you figure out how many hours between meals.

When you get antsy because you had to forego some days lifting because of family or work consideration.

When you know those odd arthritis pains from NOT lifting consistantly will go away after you do. You actually look forward to those DOMS to relieve them.

Titania
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
this ones for my wife

Bump to Emma's smile here. :D

jle
09-27-2004, 01:20 PM
when she'd rather get weights and treadmill for gifts,
than chocolates and roses or jewelry

when cross-trainers, capris and sports bras are better than dresses and heels

when hubby says, "whatever your'e doing, keep on doing it babe!" he he he

when you are grouchy because you miss a workout.

egoatdoor
10-02-2004, 03:15 PM
What are some other traits on a woman's body that tell you she lifts seriously?

1. Definitely the wide upper back.
2. Real shoulders, not those that need enhancement from shoulder pads under a dress.
3. A firm, rounded ( not bony or flabby) butt.
4. Biceps, not sticks on the upper arm.
5. And most importantly, a true hard and firm "X" figure( a wide top, slim waist and sweeping quads).

raven777
10-02-2004, 03:55 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!! DO I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!! Ok as I kept reading I feel so much more normal now!!! Most people think my habits are just plain crazy!!!

fitormiss
10-02-2004, 04:56 PM
A little bit OT, but just curious, How many of us build for size and definition, and how many for the fitness magazine (think SHAPE, not OXYGEN) model look?

jjh04f
10-02-2004, 05:43 PM
When people blame here being 'bit%^y' on "it's that time of the cycle" in stead on the usual. Oh, that was roids, oops.
When she brings a magazine to work that is WPO related.
When she thinks an investment in herself is protein and creatine and not plastic surgery.

Titania
10-03-2004, 01:28 AM
A little bit OT, but just curious, How many of us build for size and definition, and how many for the fitness magazine (think SHAPE, not OXYGEN) model look?
Definitely 110% for strength, size and definition here. My aim is to go as far as I can without steroids and maintain my femininity. :D

mslift
10-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Definitely size and definition here.

hotgymchick
10-03-2004, 02:30 PM

Size & Definition

Shape models aren't fit at all. Its all the miraculous work of lighting, makeup, and airbrushing to give them the appearance of a quasi-defined midsection. In reality, they are just skinny fat.

egoatdoor
10-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Size & Definition

Shape models aren't fit at all. Its all the miraculous work of lighting, makeup, and airbrushing to give them the appearance of a quasi-defined midsection. In reality, they are just skinny fat.

Right on to that hotgymchick. They're skinny fat, fake and not attractive if you ask me.

fitormiss
10-03-2004, 09:05 PM
AMEN!!

I feel the same way, it (the shape model look) isn't a healthy look to me. There's a definate lack of appeal, no curves, no shape, no sexiness. I strive to be built, well defined and very feminine at the same time. I like being strong and looking cut.
This months Muscle and Fitness has an article on Kristi Tauti, she has a phenomenal back and great shoulders but is still very feminine and looks great.
The skinnyfat chicks (also known as aerobic barbie) always look to me like they're in need of a cheeseburger.

It's nice to find other women that understand, and feel the same way....

karen
10-04-2004, 07:59 AM
She wears whatever she wants,isn`t concerned about whether other people think she is built big enough or not, is proud of her achievements, continues trying to improve and work hard even though she may get looked down on because she isn`t geneticaly made to be "big" and stays natural in spite of feeling this kind of pressure.

If she resembles Barbie then she just gives Mom and Dad a big hug and keeps on keeping on lifting like a maniac. This Barbie definately will have muscles and is no quitter.

I think it`s wrong to judge others like there is a contest in everyday life because genetics are too variable and there are many things we can`t change about our bodies and there are a lot of things really great about people regardless of how their body is made.

A serious lifter has a life outside the gym and has a lot of friends who don`t lift. They even play checkers sometimes. 0jiju8hubhubu...that`s what my husband wrote about this subject. He says I got to get off the stupid computer right now. Bye!

Tattoogirl4
10-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Ah, you all make me smile. Oh and about the animals and muscles. My boyfriend and I always stop and look his neighbors horses and admire how ripped they look.

Another trait is having a gym membership by your house, and a membership at the gym by your work....if you don't live close to work like me that is.

Laurie
10-04-2004, 02:15 PM
When they have a serious Olympic bench setup at home and USE that 45lb bb AND plates.

Anima
10-05-2004, 12:12 AM
When her walk is pure feline, meaning well muscled, lithe predator...... the confidence she oozes is bone deep.

When she can be just as feminine in a pair of combats as in high heels.

When she compares muscles with the guys at work.

Gabrielle
10-05-2004, 04:23 AM
The "glassware" in her kitchen consists of squirt water bottles and shaker cups.

She doesn't feel a bit self conscious making loud grunting noises to get that last rep out or while staring at her muscles in the mirror while resting between sets.

She has never talked on her cell phone while working out.

Hibiscus09
10-05-2004, 05:44 AM
LOL -- Amen on that last one, Gabrielle!! :D

Anima
10-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Pfffft my gsm stays in the locker where it belongs.

Annoying contraptions in a gym!

fitormiss
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
When you're more traumatized by your blender breaking than breaking up with your boyfriend.

Anima
10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
When she is constantly, unconciously, feeling her biceps and smiling. hehehe

SarahLou
10-06-2004, 03:40 AM
She goes out on a first date and, despite him being good looking, well off and available, she rejects him cause he makes disparaging remarks about her training..... "Why do you want to go and do that for? They're ugly!!"

Exit stage left....

You dated him aswell then ;)

pinkchick2328
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
wow.. I'm new here and I feel like I've just found my sisters.
MsFit, Anima, Titania - you rock!
Thank you girls - all of you - for being true to who you are.

I have nothing new to add.. you have said it all.

blessings

"you are here on purpose to fulfill one. Stay fit-Stay strong-and never give up".

pinkchick2328

GetnThere
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
When she is constantly, unconciously, feeling her biceps and smiling. hehehe

LOL, I am glad I'm not the only one:) (my tri's mostly though)

SKorn
10-12-2004, 06:47 PM
When you're more traumatized by your blender breaking than breaking up with your boyfriend.

LOL, thats the best one so far

jul
10-14-2004, 06:29 PM
please tell me I'm not the only one with calluses????????????????

shutupntra1n
10-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I have more than fully enjoyed all the posts here. They are all very true and humerous. ;) Thanks for the giggles.

GetnThere
10-20-2004, 11:31 AM
please tell me I'm not the only one with calluses????????????????

No, you are not alone. I prefer the calluses to wearing gloves...they get in the way if you ask me & really don't work anyway.

Titania
10-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Add me to the calluses club too. I never used gloves for years, then bought a pair, used them for a while and went back to not using them.

MsFit
10-21-2004, 06:45 AM
I've always used gloves. My hands are rough enough naturally, so I do what I can to keep the from getting worse. Hey, but I grunt when I slip each on...does that count as a brownie point? LMAO

hhat
10-21-2004, 06:49 AM
I've found that a very balanced and defined forearm is one of the best ways, naturally strong women tend not to have balanced muscle groupings (ie: it comes from repetative motions the develop one section more than the other). Any real tricep development is a huge one to.

EmperialChina
10-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Big sexy, and well defined calves. :)

Titania
10-21-2004, 05:59 PM
I've always used gloves. My hands are rough enough naturally, so I do what I can to keep the from getting worse. Hey, but I grunt when I slip each on...does that count as a brownie point? LMAO
ROFL :D :D.....I think we can award some points for that. ;)

Tattoogirl4
10-21-2004, 09:20 PM
I have calluses on my hands and I'm darn proud of them.

wwedivaxx
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
AMEN!!

I feel the same way, it (the shape model look) isn't a healthy look to me. There's a definate lack of appeal, no curves, no shape, no sexiness. I strive to be built, well defined and very feminine at the same time. I like being strong and looking cut.
This months Muscle and Fitness has an article on Kristi Tauti, she has a phenomenal back and great shoulders but is still very feminine and looks great.
The skinnyfat chicks (also known as aerobic barbie) always look to me like they're in need of a cheeseburger.

It's nice to find other women that understand, and feel the same way....

I actually hae that M&F and looked at that after reading your post (although I have to admit I only bought the mag for cover boy John Cena. I'm a wrestling fan).
even though I don't fall in the category of being a serious lifter some I've seen some of these that apply to me. definitely the one about carrying all your shopping bags in one hand and opening doors with the other. I do that every week when I go grocery shopping for my grandmother. I get it all out in one trip.

egoatdoor
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
AMEN!!

I just bought the issue and her workout was a breath of fresh air. Pull ups UNASSISTED!!! DEADLIFTS!!!! I wish I could sneak into the women's locker room in my gym and leave some copies of the article. In the months I've been there, only one lady ( and boy is she buff!!) dares to even try these exercises.

Kristi also mentioned that since her lower body was larger, she trained heavy in the upper body to make her physique more symmetrical. So many women spend endless hours doing low intensity legs and cardio, while doing nothing to bring up their upper backs and shoulders. Then of course, you hear them complaining that weight training doesn't work complain when their physiques still look the same months later.

A lot of the present company excluded, ladies get a clue, pleazzzzzzeeeee...

clarke74
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
When she looks damn good, but a man is afraid to comment.
When you swear you are asking 'Red Sonya' out on a date.
When you stare at her chest but see exactly how many ounces of milk she can produce.
When she looks like the love child of Conan the Barbarian, and Wonder Woman.
When she looks as strong as the love child of Superman and Wonder Woman.
When she exercises with the determination of a love child of Christopher Reeves and Wonder Woman.
When you look at her and wonder if she spins around a few times... will she turn into Wonder Woman.
When you stare at her and she reminds you of Wonder Woman.
Why the hell Does she Remind me of Wonder Woman.
When she looks damn good, but a man is afraid to comment that she looks like Wonder Woman.
When she smiles when you ask her if she is Wonder Woman.

liftingchic
10-28-2004, 01:17 AM
She never wears long sleeve tops.

She has two meals and a spoon in her handbag at all times.

She brings her own food to the restaurant.

She eats meat and veggies on public transport.

Her arms are bigger than the calves of the guy next to her.

She carries all the groceries in from the car with one hand and uses the other to unlock the front door.

She carries her husband over the threshold on her honeymoon.

All the 45 lb plates dissappear from the weight stand on her leg day.

.....and you all think I'm joking :eek:

LOVE THEM!!'

mine is when you see her carrying a gallon of water :) hehe

sweetbecky
10-28-2004, 03:37 AM
When she looks damn good, but a man is afraid to comment.
When you swear you are asking 'Red Sonya' out on a date.
When you stare at her chest but see exactly how many ounces of milk she can produce.
When she looks like the love child of Conan the Barbarian, and Wonder Woman.
When she looks as strong as the love child of Superman and Wonder Woman.
When she exercises with the determination of a love child of Christopher Reeves and Wonder Woman.
When you look at her and wonder if she spins around a few times... will she turn into Wonder Woman.
When you stare at her and she reminds you of Wonder Woman.
Why the hell Does she Remind me of Wonder Woman.
When she looks damn good, but a man is afraid to comment that she looks like Wonder Woman.
When she smiles when you ask her if she is Wonder Woman.
I like that. I used to wear Wonder Woman Underoos when I was a kid. I'm glad I turned into a physically and emotionally strong woman. Young girls need role models like Wonder Woman was.