PDA

View Full Version : Snack ideas please

SEADRA
09-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I need snacks that fill me up. I always am hungry. But I have eaten my daily calories. Are there any worthless little snacks to munch on that dont really impact to much on calories.

Emma-Leigh
09-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Celery is great, as is cucumber. Infact, a big bowl of salad (lettuce, mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, baby asian greens, baby spinach leaves, watercress etc) is fine. A BIG bowl would not set you back more than 60 to 100 odd calories and you would burn that just trying to chew it all. ;)

Water or green tea is also good.

Also - just on a note - you should make sure your diet is well balanced. As you are trying to 'add mass' you really should not be hungry... (although I understant that, as your body is still recovering, your hunger signals are still a little screwy...)

Girlie
09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
yes! I am always hungry too! I like to keep boiled eggs around the house. (I usually make chinese tea eggs because I don't like plain.) When I get hungry I just eat the whites. (less than 20 calories per egg-white)

I also make huge batches of vegetable soup. There are only 75 calories (and that's if you count green, fibrous vegetables) in 2 cups!

I also love sugar-free jello (10 calories a serving). . .

celery with peanut butter is filling and if you spread the peanut butter thin enough it's only 50 calories for quite a lot. . .

also, hot liquids can fill you up for a while. . . tea, broths, etc.

Anima
09-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Slightly more cals but infinitely satisfying is LIGHT (reduced calories) cream cheese blended with lots of dried herbs and garlic/onion, a dash of salt and pepper (hot pepper is nice) and had with carrot or celery or apple. I have found that this snack satisfies a craving for a creamier feeling and tasting food, but the lite cream cheese we can get here in Belgium is only 125 cal per 100 grams and when it is fluffed out with the added herbs and spices it really goes a long way. Also nice on rice cakes......

It helped me to get thru a lot of long work days without feeling like I was starving!

Ivey_Itch
09-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I've started to take beef jerky with me at work so i can snack while I wait tables. One ounce is about 80 calories, 0 carbs, i think like 19 grams protein. One ounce isn't a whole lot, but it's nice and chewy, and if you just grab a little peice every now and then, it's pretty satisfying :) I need more ideas on apron stashable foods! lol... :)

Anima
09-19-2004, 11:34 PM
If you are willing to go the extra mile and make your own jerky the quality difference is startling and it is even lower in fats...

Here is how I made mine:

Take a whole beef brisket (this cut is wonderful, grain of the meat runs parallel and trimming the cut is easy)... trim off all visible fats and then marinate for 24 hours in a mix of soy, apple vinegar (not too much) hot pepper flakes (chipotle smoked peppers are really delicious for this and give it that outdoorsy flavor), garlic powder amd whatever flavorings you like. The original version had a cup of sugar in the marinade, I am not sure how you all can adjust that as I figure the marinade for the most part gets poured off at the end, I am not certain how much of that sugar is retained by the meat.

Anyhow:

Once the meat is marinated, pop it into the freezer and let it begin to firm up but NOT get frozen solid. This will let you slice the meat nice and thin with great ease. Slice so that the grain of the meat is being cut across (this makes for tenderer jerky) and lay the slices out on a rack in your oven and set it at the lowest temp .... let the meat dry in the oven for as long as it takes to achieve the jerky of choice: for leather hard you will obviously need less time than for truly dry camping jerky.

This stuff keeps in a sealed glass jar for a week but I usually ended up keeping it in a ziplock in the fridge or freezer to insure freshness.

The secret to good jerky is good quality beef AND interesting spices.

Good luck!

Ms. Lucy
09-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Hey Girlie,

That veggie soup sounds good now that fall is approaching (in the US-lol).

Do you just simmer down veggies and use a veggie broth? I'm trying to eat more veggies and that's a great idea--hey add 3oz plain chicken and that's a darn good meal!!

Great Ideas

Ivey_Itch
09-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the jerky recipe! Maybe you could use 1 cup splenda for the 1 cup sugar? I know it's supposed to measure the same. :) I'll have to try that out. My biggest problem is having the oven going for a long time, since i'm always in and out of class. (but this would be a great to try during my thanksgiving break!) Thanks!

Anima
09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
IFf you or someone you know is a handy Harry then a great food dryer can be made with just a box with screens set in for racks, a plexiglass door with a little magnet closure and a heater/fan combo used with bathroom retrofits. A rheostat is used to regulate the fan speed and heat.

I used one of these for all my drying needs, it was supreb for jerky, cause it could be set at a lower temp than most ovens and was safe.

I have a forced air combi microwave oven that works really well too, it can be set for 60 degrees C and at that temp it dries perfectly, problem is making a rack to work in it, it comes with two (for grilling) but a couple more would be handy.