PDA

View Full Version : Building strenght but not mass

SEADRA
09-17-2004, 05:49 PM
I am geting allot stronger my weight is increasing rapidly. But my mass isn't really changing to much. My rep range is 6-7 sometimes eight. 4-5 sets. Am I doing something wrong?

Emma-Leigh
09-17-2004, 07:14 PM
I am geting allot stronger my weight is increasing rapidly. But my mass isn't really changing to much. My rep range is 6-7 sometimes eight. 4-5 sets. Am I doing something wrong?

Hypertrophy best occurs with rep ranges of 6 to 12, so you are fine there. If you are concerned then maybe consider increasing some of your sets to reps of ~8...

Strength can increase as your skill/muscle adaptation increases, and this can happen without neccessarily adding mass - this is to do with better recruitment of your target muscles and better muscle fibre recuirtment, better engagement of your stabilisers and better co-ordination.

In order to build muscle you have to be creating enough of a calorie surplus for your body to want to use those calories to build tissue - so make sure you are eating enough (must be my mantra for you ;) ) and make sure you pre and post- workout meals are spot on.