PDA

View Full Version : To many calories from nuts???

SEADRA
09-17-2004, 04:21 PM
O.K I have this problem I'm addicted to nuts. I buy a can of deluxe nut mix and keep eatin them maybe 2 or 3 servings. So a good portion of my calories is coming fromm nuts. My question is to many calories from nuts useless as far as building? Is to many servings of nuts going to have a negative effect?

rainydaze
09-17-2004, 05:36 PM
be careful with the nuts, the fats are healthy, but you can over do it. they can still make you gain weight. i have to watch my intake cause i really can see a difference when i eat too many nuts.

Girlie
09-17-2004, 06:56 PM
also, some nuts are better for you than others . . . walnuts and almonds are usually the best . . . and you might want to check the amount of salt on the nuts. . . they can make your sodium intake sky-rocket!

Emma-Leigh
09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
is to many calories from nuts useless as far as building?
No - nuts are not useless in terms of building muscle.

They contain important fatty acids (esp omega-3 fatty acids found in some nuts) which are essential in terms of your overall health AND in terms of building muscle tissue. They also contain amino acids, fibre, vitamins, minerals and lots of other healthy things! They are a MUST when you are trying to build!!

Is to many servings of nuts going to have a negative effect?
Well - too many nuts that go over and above your calorie needs will make you gain weight faster - just due to the fact that they are a calorie dense food. However, on that note, studies have shown that people can add 300 cals/day from nuts over and above their normal food intake without having any negative body weight effects BUT they still get the cardiovascular/health benifits from the nuts...

As Girlie said - salted nuts are probably not the best thing, due to the sodium. And, as she stated, walnuts and almonds are the best to eat (best nutritional profiles, best omega-fat profiles).

As long as you compensate with the rest of your diet (that is, as long as you are still hitting a good macronutrient ratio and good calorie intake) then there is no reason why you can not get a lot of your daily fats from nuts.

MsFit
09-18-2004, 10:03 AM
They're kinda like potato chips...Can't eat just one.

Anima
09-18-2004, 10:08 AM
God yes keep me away from pistachios they helped me to balloon up in the first place.....

maybe a way to get rid of the urge to keep shoving one more in your cakehole is to make a nut butter with them instead, grind them in a food processor (no additional oils needed of course) and then spread it out over something like rice cakes ... flavor is still very much apparent but the fists full of oils and calories are not necessarily out of control.

Works for me at least.....

Pecans, cashews, peanuts (of course) and pistachio nuts make excellent butters. Plus the taste of freshly made and no crisco type additives is amazing.

Clints01
11-17-2004, 06:05 PM
mmm almond butter, sorry had to.

trnurbdy48
11-18-2004, 04:26 AM
They're kinda like potato chips...Can't eat just one.

LOL Ms. Fit (by the way, I love your newsletters!). I am a self-admitted peanut addict. Trader Joe"s dry roasted, low salt peanuts are a staple in my diet. There it is, the truth is out!