PDA

View Full Version : Training Question for "Older" Woman

Styles Bitchly
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Hello Ladies,

I have been actively training for over 15 years, and now - finally - I've got my wife interested in training as well. She is 42 years old, 5' 2", 112 lbs (she'd kill me if she knew I was posting her stats), and even though she won't allow me to check her body fat percentage, I would have to guess it's somewhere in the 18 - 20% area. She has the tricep flap (loose skin and flab around the tricep), and a bit of cellulite around the hips and thighs. Other than that, she's pretty firm. Due to her schedule she can only hit the gym two days a week, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings, and she allows for cardio on Saturdays and Sundays. Her diet is pretty healthy. She eats an average of four to five meals a day, and we keep junk food to an absolute minimum.

Now for the question: What type of training schedule can I design for her that will target the whole body on her two gym days? And, how do I keep her focus and motivation intact? She's started training regimens in the past only to give up after a few weeks. What do you ladies think? Do you have some advice for me?

Thanks

trnurbdy48
09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Older? I'll show you older! (small smile appears). Phase one of her training could be a total body w/o consisting of 2 exercises per muscle group, one set, 12 reps. You're creating adaptation. When you feel that she's ready (her form is correct and she has adapted to this program), you can then divide the days into an upper/lower split for the two days she can train anaerobically. Up the exercises to 3 per muscle group, 3 sets (2-3 for smaller groups such as biceps, triceps), 8-10 reps, increasing the weight proportionately. Or she can continue with the total body w/o performing one set of 15 reps (with enough weight so that positive failure is achieved), 2-3 exercises per muscle group. Stay with compound movements as much as possible. She's weight and height proportionate, however this is not an indication of body composition (lean mass vs fat). Get her BF calibrated then you have an idea of where her nutritional and training focus should be.

Styles Bitchly
09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
trnurbdy 48,

Thanks so much for the advice. We're going on week two, and she hasn't lost interest yet. I'm going to do exactly what you said, and pretty much ease her into "whip ass" mode over the course of several weeks. Hopefully that will keep her from losing momentum. It's frustrating for me because I train extremely hard, and intense, so I have to remember who I'm helping when it's time for her workout. Thanks again for your help.

Take Care

trnurbdy48
09-21-2004, 11:30 AM
You're welcome styles. Remember, you were where she's at once.........though for some of us "older" people. it's just too damn far back to remember.................yep, there's that smile again. Good luck and tell your wife to have fun!