PDA

View Full Version : Figure contest

karen
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi, I decided to move my post where people are viewing. There were 0 viewers in fitness competitions. I`m another reader who is thinking of competing one day. I was going to try the Heart of Dixie in Foley Alabama last August but didn`t get to make the trip.

I have pictures but not sure I`m ready for any contest even amateur. There have been times where I made gains and was doing great and then in recent months I have struggled with injuries and lost some mass dieting down for the above mentioned contest. I`m happy to be able to workout and a little discouraged about competing but not going to give up!!!

How far from contest shape do you think I could be?

I feel like my shoulders are hopeless. Any suggestions for routines that might get them to grow? My husband says these pictures aren`t showing how my abs really look and they are kind of washed out not showing my muscles.

karen
09-14-2004, 07:18 PM
One more picture.

MsFit
09-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Do you have another contest date in mind?

You're not far off for Figure.

karen
09-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Do you suppose I need to eat and build while staying lean and then 8 weeks out from the next contest cut again? Do you mean I`m almost muscular enough and almost lean enough? My guess would be I`m almost muscular enough,need to gain more mass and the lean part I can do without much trouble. I think I`m doing pretty good for a 37 year old mother of two.

I don`t know of any close to home this year that are figure contests. It looks like next Spring or Summer but I know better than to think I can go around perfectly ripped and not get too skinny. I`m already on the skinny side even for figure but my advantage is having leanness. I already see girls dieting themselves down to toothpick proportions trying to "look perfect" all the time.

I can`t do a fitness contest because of back and knee problems but look much more athletic than I actually am because my knee will not even allow me to run more than 15 minutes and forget jumping! I can do fast walking and cardio without pain...thankfully! So,I`m definately the "model" type but can`t really help it because of the physical limitations I have right now. It hasn`t been easy on the ego but I have had to come to terms with it and be accepting of myself anyway. I can`t do the heavy squats and deadlifts and I got to work with what I can do. My idea is to stay as muscular and fit as I can and also be pain free which I have learned how to do by eating properly and working out smart.

I did want to do something with what I`m able to do and figure looks like a possibility in the near future.

playmaker
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Do you suppose I need to eat and build while staying lean and then 8 weeks out from the next contest cut again? Do you mean I`m almost muscular enough and almost lean enough? My guess would be I`m almost muscular enough,need to gain more mass and the lean part I can do without much trouble. I think I`m doing pretty good for a 37 year old mother of two.

I don`t know of any close to home this year that are figure contests. It looks like next Spring or Summer but I know better than to think I can go around perfectly ripped and not get too skinny. I`m already on the skinny side even for figure but my advantage is having leanness. I already see girls dieting themselves down to toothpick proportions trying to "look perfect" all the time.

I can`t do a fitness contest because of back and knee problems but look much more athletic than I actually am because my knee will not even allow me to run more than 15 minutes and forget jumping! I can do fast walking and cardio without pain...thankfully! So,I`m definately the "model" type but can`t really help it because of the physical limitations I have right now. It hasn`t been easy on the ego but I have had to come to terms with it and be accepting of myself anyway. I can`t do the heavy squats and deadlifts and I got to work with what I can do. My idea is to stay as muscular and fit as I can and also be pain free which I have learned how to do by eating properly and working out smart.

I did want to do something with what I`m able to do and figure looks like a possibility in the near future.

You have a nice body IMO u need some more muscle, I'm not an expert like MsFit but i think you need to bulk for a while how about taking a year off to build some mass and then diet down for a contest?

tattood
09-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Don't take this the wrong way Karen, but I think you're too skinny. I can kinda see your ribs, and there's nothing sexy about that. You're a beautiful woman though, just add a little meat. :)

missmuscle
09-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Karen-
You are blessed with a naturally slim physique. IMO, as I have competed before and will be again in November, I would really work on building some lean mass and bulking for at least 6 months. Since you are naturally gifted in the leanness dept., you should have no trouble leaning down after you have bulked up a bit. Since I have an inkling that you may be a hard gainer, you may have to really work at bulking for a while and stop cardio if you are doing any currenty. Other than that, you have a great shot at competing!Good luck

SuperBBGirl
09-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Definately need to add muscle especially shoulders and lats

this is the look that wins figure
unless there is bad judging then they pick soft or bikini look which is WRONG!

karen
09-15-2004, 06:18 PM
These are "before" pictures. I`m an amateur and am working on improving. My ribs don`t show either. I have a well muscled mid section.

JLB001
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I'd hit shoulders and back hard. You need to create the Vtaper and rounded caps on the delts. Your legs look good.

If you were to diet down at this point, you may look too thin and that is not the look you would like to bring into figure.

I understand about having knee problems, I would cut back on the cardio and concentrate on building the upper body more. If you need something in the Spring or early summer, that should give you plenty of time to bring those areas up to par with your legs.

Hibiscus09
09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
You do have very nice abs, however, those are the ribs showing on the sides. You are definitely lean, as MissMuscle pointed out, and I think she offered some very good advice for you when she stated you should work on building lean mass and bulking for at least 6 months. It does look like you could afford to gain around 10 to 15lbs to compete in figure.

You stated yourself: I don`t know of any close to home this year that are figure contests. It looks like next Spring or Summer but I know better than to think I can go around perfectly ripped and not get too skinny. I`m already on the skinny side even for figure but my advantage is having leanness. I already see girls dieting themselves down to toothpick proportions trying to "look perfect" all the time.

You could be ready by the end of summer 2005 if you go ahead and begin bulking now -- it probably won't take you as long to lean out afterwards, as you seem very naturally lean anyway.

imperfectly_lou
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Don't get offended Karen... most of us girls know what we are talking about, and if you want to compete, you have to learn to take constructive criticism... You have a fantastic base to work with and your quads are amazing but you are still a little too thin in the midsection (ribs coming through) and need to work on building up your shoulders and V-taper more.

Good luck and please keep posting! :)

karen
09-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey, I`m not offended. I`m just flabbergasted that someone thinks bones are sticking out of my mid section. Here are a few more pictures just taken minutes ago by Paul my husband. Those "stripes" are intercostal muscles attatched to the ribs...I swear! No offense at all!!! They are muscles and they will not go away and they were there before I dieted down.

I have a neck injury from a car accident in my 20`s that still gives me problems with weakness in my triceps and upper traps but I have managed to work through it.

I just dieted down for a amateur contest...my very first contest and went from 127 down to 115 but my husband went off shore fishing for a week and I didn`t get to go.

I very much appreciate the advice,critiques and compliments...and that I`m not far from an amateur figure contest. Maybe, I`m not destined to be a pro but I want to compete for something challenging and fun to do. I`m 37 and mother of 2 and didn`t sart working out until I was in my 30`s.

What I would really love is to figure out how to get my shoulders rounded out. Bodybuilding can get frustrating when you work,and work and work,eat,rest and everything looks great except for one body part. Then you seem permanently halfway there forever. It`s very frustrating!

I`m very aware of my flaws. I came to try and get help.

Any helpfull ideas about shoulders? I`m already eating more,beginning to workout heavier and have reduced the cardio...this is going to take time.

SuperBBGirl
09-15-2004, 10:45 PM
for delts

rear: i have been really liking bentover rows with smith positioned so using delts not back HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY

DB press
lateral raises
reverse peck deck

all heavy 8-9 reps

do only one body part per day

even at the very beginning level they are looking for the v taper and big shoulders so concentrate on delts and back

this is a pic form a amatuer local show here in Southern CA
she won short class
http://www.graphicmuscle.com/viewphoto.aspx?photocode=11361

i am doing my first figure comp in 3 days and i have been really concetrating on delts and back. i had done body building in the apst but my legs were always my best part i had to get my v-taper to match

playmaker
09-16-2004, 12:46 AM
for delts

rear: i have been really liking bentover rows with smith positioned so using delts not back HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY

DB press
lateral raises
reverse peck deck

all heavy 8-9 reps

do only one body part per day

even at the very beginning level they are looking for the v taper and big shoulders so concentrate on delts and back

this is a pic form a amatuer local show here in Southern CA
she won short class
http://www.graphicmuscle.com/viewphoto.aspx?photocode=11361

i am doing my first figure comp in 3 days and i have been really concetrating on delts and back. i had done body building in the apst but my legs were always my best part i had to get my v-taper to match

Your v-taper and lats are just fine :D

Hibiscus09
09-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Sorry, Karen -- I really didn't mean to say anything insulting. You do have nice abs and, as stated, just a little more size and you'll definitely be ready for a show! :)

JLB001
09-16-2004, 07:02 AM
For the lats:

one arm rows, pulldowns to the front, chins, etc.

Be sure to practice good form, if not they would be useless.

You'll do fine!

karen
09-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry, Karen -- I really didn't mean to say anything insulting. You do have nice abs and, as stated, just a little more size and you'll definitely be ready for a show! :)

It`s OK. I`m sorry too. The truth is what will get me working at flaws. I`m just going to work my abs and shoulders even more.

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to do those exercises for shoulders already mentioned and specialize on them. I need to focus more on working out and preparing and not feel bad about myself for not looking ready yet.

That was the whole point of me writing in btw. It isn`t easy to gain mass after months of rehab doing tricep extensions with 5 pound weights and not being able to do a Lot of exercises because one of your arms,trapezius and shoulder doesn`t work right. I`m better now and trying to get ready. I burned down and tried to prepare for a contest because people were bugging me about competing so I tried to prepare but didn`t have it all together this time around. Now that both arms are working the same I can go up with my weights.

I`m looking for information and I`ll keep the thread to read and look around on the site as well.

Thanks!!!!

Kane Fan
09-16-2004, 01:40 PM
These are "before" pictures. I`m an amateur and am working on improving. My ribs don`t show either. I have a well muscled mid section.

now that is ****in HOT!

Kane Fan
09-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Karen you should enable PM's : o )

playmaker
09-16-2004, 01:55 PM
now that is ****in HOT!

Kane she doesnt give a **** if you find her hot, get lost!

imperfectly_lou
09-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Oh greeeaat... Kane is back. I had missed him so much too

JLB001
09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Oh greeeaat... Kane is back. I had missed him so much too
Should we ALL turn off our PM's?

karen
09-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey, I`ll be back in 4-6 weeks with some pictures that show muscles.

Wish me well!!!

Hibiscus09
09-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Good luck to you, Karen!! You can do it! :)

DanMc
09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Kane she doesnt give a **** if you find her hot, get lost!

I rarely post here but often view in search of things to help my wife.

Agreed kane is an idiot here is a young quite pretty gal looking for advice talking about her boyfriend and such. Yet he hits on her. Makes a man want to apologize for the idiocy of another.

Keep at it Karen its not a sprint its a life style.

Dan

karen
09-21-2004, 08:57 AM
It took some guts to post these pictures of me. I`m not gifted in the bodybuilding department and definately didn`t put them up so everyone would write Wow...Awesome...etc. If you knew how I Used to look then heck yes, you would say those things but that is another story.

I have made gains before and I will do it again. When setbacks happen and things go wrong with contest preparation then it`s a learning experience. I put those pictures up before public scrutiny to get the kick in the pants I need to eat and grow.

I have been in this lifestyle for over 5 years and proof that just because you lift doesn`t mean you will become a mass monster. So many people just quit and give up when they don`t become a vision of huge athletic perfectionism. The truth is we don`t all have the stuff to become impressive but we can become our own best. I have a friend who will never be able to build his legs to match his upper body because he has a back weakness due to an injury but he competes over and over, loves being on stage and is very happy with the 3rd 4th placings he usually gets. The way he sees it that Is victory. He is one of the people who have inspired me.

I will improve but believe in being true to self and realistic. Others opinions are to be considered and can be helpful but the bottom line is being accountable to myself.

pontybiker
09-23-2004, 04:18 AM
Karen you look fantastic, you can see you work hard on your diet as well as you physique. I'm sure if you want it enough you could easily get up on stage and compete, but you have to want it enough.

Take it easy.

J

Lean4Life
09-28-2004, 02:33 PM
You have a great foundation to build on. Your abs and quads are solid, with a little delt work you will be there! Kudos for having the guts to post your pics. They are awesome. It's a blessing to be so lean!

Bicepsman
10-03-2004, 07:53 AM
You have great legs and abs, but I agree the upper body is behind at the moment.

Work your upper body for a year and you'll be a winner.

I don't recommend you to enter any competition for now though.

karen
10-03-2004, 10:03 PM
I have some updated pictures. These are 4 weeks from the last pictures. I have been able work out with both arms and use heavier weights now. I`m doing good.

karen
10-04-2004, 08:37 AM
I must add that I`m a small boned person,100% natural and have only taken a multi vitamin for a supplement.

Hibiscus09
10-04-2004, 08:57 AM
You are definitely doing a great job at staying super lean! Your upperbody looks like it's put on some size -- good work! :) Great shape to your hamstrings also & your legs look tight in the quad area also!

karen
10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
This is a side pose. I`m really working on rounding off the rather flat, pointy,technically "female" shoulders. I have tried everything for years and will just keep going.

I can`t believe my ears when I hear women say they don`t want muscles. I hear it All the time at my gym. These women have got to be nuts. They believe they will bulk like a man if they lift Anything. What a myth.

They say they want to look like me but they can`t get it through their thick skull that I have what muscle I do have and leanness Because I lift! They think when all the fat melts off that their undermuscled frame is going "transform" NOT.

Lean4Life
10-05-2004, 10:08 AM
I can see a difference in your delts and arms with the latest pics. You look great!