PDA

View Full Version : I'm in denial- Diet Soda...BAD?

Eric_FXST
09-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Please explain this to me- why is diet, caffeine free soda bad? I see 40mg of sodium and aspartame as being 2 possible concerns. But 40mg is 2% of your daily allowance and aspartame isn't as bad as actual sugar.

I drink 1 Diet Coke every day with dinner.

Please...give me the negatives! :D

uhockey
09-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Pffffff, if diet soda is bad for you then I'm a gonner. I probly drink a good liter of the stuff a day. Sure the sodium benzoate and phosphates are bad, but if you keep your calcium intake high the effects are negligable. And sure rats fed about 10x their bodyweight in aspartame developed cancer, but I'm not consuming lbs of it per day. I like the taste, I like the caffeine, and unless I ever plan on entering a contest the minimal water retention and "bloat" don't really bother me too much. It's calorie free and to be perfectly honest, unless you're getting RO or ultrapurified water, it probably contains less pathogenic or disease causing particles than your average glass of tap water. Not knocking water, it is great for you too, but aside from the occasional person with phenylketonuria I don't see much trouble with Diet soda either.

mondesi02
09-13-2004, 01:50 PM
..there is a thread around somewhere that explaines the negative points on diet soda...I think Zack wrote it..do a search.

btw, I drink my share of diet vanilla & diet lime pepsi

antbrdwar
09-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Its not bad in moderation, at least I don't think so. If its what keeps you sane and on a strict (meal-wise) diet then go ahead and enjoy it.

shazz
09-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Ok I perhaps drink more of this **** than anyone else (hence i try to cut back). I go through quite a few cans myself. But i find if I substitute with a coffee instead I need maybe 1-2 cans. (damn caffeine).

Bad points:
aspartame- (bad due to reputation than actual fact. 40mg/kgof bodyweight is ok. Danger aside from those with PKU is the production of methanol as a byproduct. Methanol is not buffered by esters as with fruits or by ethanol as with alcohol so you get the full blow. Conversion to formaldehyde is common when the body tries to get rid of it. Toxic and can blind you if more than 2g accumulates in your eyes. This is bloody rare and in any case unless you are consuming 12+ litres per day for prolonged periods, don't worry.

Aluminium - As there is phosphoric acid added to diet coke it tends to leach aluminium from the cans. High aluminium is suspected to contribute to alzheimers. But this is all unjustified (high aluminium levels are typical but whether they are the cause or consequence of alzheimers is unkown). Aluminium is found in other things, e.g. baking powder. Its just that alumium in an acidic environment tends to be absorbed better by the body. Again don't worry unless intake is super high.

Phosphoric acid - (my big problem with DC is this) erodes teeth. It can erode the enamel of the teeth which really sucks. Can also cause the leaching of calcium from bones if too much is consumed. (unlikely)

caffeine - will dehydrate you. Plays merry havoc with blood sugar levels, you've heard it all before

That's off the top pf my head, for one DC a day don't sweat it. Only worry if you go crazy with it.

imogene-runner
09-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Please...give me the negatives! :D

The negatives? Since you asked.... :-)

Aspartame:
Recent research in Europe has shown that a small amount of aspartame ingestion leads to the *accumulation* of significant amounts of formaldehyde in the brain and liver. "These are indeed extremely high levels for adducts of formaldehyde, a substance responsible for chronic deleterious effects that has also been considered carcinogenic.... It is concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a hazard because of its contribution to the formation of formaldehyde adducts." (Life Sciences, Vol. 63, No. 5, pp. 337+).
Of course, before this, no food ingestion has ever been shown to cause the accumulation of formaldehyde in the body. The amount of formaldehyde exposure from 10 mg/kg aspartame ingestion is nearly twice what has been shown to cause permanent DNA damage in human studies on formaldehyde exposure. DNA damage occurs whether clinically-obvious symptoms occur or not. Resources for further reading: www.holisticmed.com/aspartame and www.christianhealth.us/nutrasweet.html .

Phosphoric acid:
You can read an exchange of letters regarding phosphoric acid at:
http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2002/sep/7709le.pdf
I prefer to avoid it in soft drinks. When I drink sodas (not very often)
I use diet sodas without artificial junk.

On the other hand, you'll save on embalming costs down the road. :-)

ir

dilatedmind
09-13-2004, 07:50 PM
it seems like everything is bad for you.

if you care that much, just drink water, works good for me.

seriously though, my friend drinks 3 liters of diet soda a day. One diet coke at dinner is fine.

BerryBlis
09-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Hey,

Yah, i'm addicted to diet pop too. Water just tastes to bland for me at the end of the day. I usually try and keep it to 1-2 cans though. You can only worry about so much though right?

BerryBlis

Eric_FXST
09-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks a lot for all the valuable responses.
I think it is something I will still continue with. Not by choice, mind you. I don't get off work and think, "I need a coke". Its not beer afterall. :D It's just water really starts to get bland and regular tasting by 5:00. And, I am not a juice, tea, or lemonade-type person.
I have to agree with the one comment about drinking water could be just as bad. I have to laugh, but agree with this. We have well water with a filtration system....but who knows?

Again, thanks for all the informative responses!

Badazcj1
09-14-2004, 08:16 AM
An interesting read that you may not like to see:

"The fact that aspartame fattens people is generally well known. We have all seen the post cards and comics that depict an overweight person with a Diet Coke in one hand while reaching for a bowl of corn chips with the other hand. The reason aspartame so strikingly stimulates the appetite is it provides over half of its content in a form of a phenylalanine isolate.

The amino acid phenylalanine outcompetes all the other at enzyme sites in the body. This suppresses the formation of dopamine from tyrosine and the formation of serotonin from tryptophan. The serotonin is the neurotransmitter that reports carbohydrate metabolism. When your serotonin levels are not allowed to raise as they normally do when you eat carbohydrates you crave more and more food. The dopamine is the neurotransmitter that lets you feel satisfied, so when you use aspartame you have unsatisfiable cravings. The aspartame also poisons your metabolism so you cannot burn calories.

One of the major components of the aspartame molecule is methyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol has long been recognized in medicine for its ability to block metabolism. For this reason when doctors see somebody who has been poisoned by ingesting methyl alcohol or methyl esters they can accurately predict the patient will develop a severe acidosis because the food cannot be metabolized in the normal manner and the breakdown products of the methyl alcohol in addition to the acids developed from the blocked metabolism gravely endanger the patients life. NutraSweet, is a very aggravated form of methyl alcohol poisoning.

Moreover, the neuroexcitotoxins act in the brain to stimulate appetite. This is why manufacturers put it into foods. It does not actually change the taste of food at all, but the food taste better to you because your appetite has been stimulated.

Arsenic is routinely included in chicken food when the chickens are being raised for meat production because it poisons the metabolism and the chickens don't burn off the calories, they turn it into fat, and thus they produce rapid weight gain for the farmer.

When the FDA first looked at this molecule they held aspartame off the market for many years because it is a potent chelating agent which carries many heavy metals including arsenic into the body. The heavy metal poisoning from Nutrasweet also poisons your metabolism, blocks the burning of calories and on the long haul this virtually irreversible poisoning from heavy metals will continue to encourage weight gain."

James Bowen, M.D.

rick martel
09-14-2004, 11:01 AM
anything that you consume that doesnt benefit you, damages you.

Diver Down
09-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I just drink skim milk and water.