PDA

View Full Version : "Clean" Fats vs "Dirty" Fats?

scoch
06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Fats are essential in any type of balanced diet.

A common ratio is the 40% (carbs) , 40% (protein), 20% (fat)

20% of one's daily calories should come from fats. Healthy fats are recomended.

BUT Would it still be beneficial to consume "dirt/bad" fats, eg fat from Beef or Beef Stock?

Common Examples: 1)Home made beef broth often contains large amounts of fat (for me at least)
2)Beef/Less Lean Cuts of Meat

Im not only asking whether it would be okay, but also whether it would/could be beneficial/would it have the same effect as a "healthy" fat.

djansen
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Fats are essential in any type of balanced diet.

A common ratio is the 40% (carbs) , 40% (protein), 20% (fat)

20% of one's daily calories should come from fats. Healthy fats are recomended.

BUT Would it still be beneficial to consume "dirt/bad" fats, eg fat from Beef or Beef Stock?

Common Examples: 1)Home made beef broth often contains large amounts of fat (for me at least)
2)Beef/Less Lean Cuts of Meat

Im not only asking whether it would be okay, but also whether it would/could be beneficial/would it have the same effect as a "healthy" fat.

if you are talking about saturated, like found in most beef and dairy then yes have a little bit, it raises testosterone. now trans fat is something to avoid all the time.

Richie_Awesome
06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, I was always confused about this. Most people here are frightened at the site of fatty meat, yet they advocate us getting more saturated fat to raise testosterone...a double standard imo.

I've always went for lean cuts during a cut as it's difficult to get a lot of protein and not calories, but for a bulk, fatty cuts should work, too.

Saturated fat would not have the same effect as EFA's, omega 3 and omega 6

SaintPatty
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
To answer your question- naturally occuring fats (anything that hasn't been f'ed with by man, which are usually your 'trens fats') are great in moderation. It is important to vary your fat intake of the different types of fats out there. SO eat up, just keep track.

Also, home made beef stock shouldn't really contain any fat. After it becomes stock, it should be de-fatted. For example, if you have your stock boiling away all day, you finish it, season it how you like, and strain it of all the solid stuff, refrigerate it overnight, and remove the hard disk of fat that forms at the top. Bam- fat free (and the way it should be made anyway)

garlichead
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
The fats from beef are far from dirty. Beef broth should have little to no fat, if made properly. (allowed to cool and the fat removed after it has hardened.) In regards to the fat in nearly all cuts of beef, over 50 % of the fat is monounsaturated oleic acid, the same as in olive oil and a good portion of the saturated fat is stearic acid, another good fat. Don't tell anyone I told you, otherwise people might think that the fat from beef is good for you and the prices may go up. ;)

Fats to avoid (bad fats) imo are trans fats from hydrogenated vegetable/seed oils, refined polyunsaturated oil, and especially refined polyunsaturated fats high in omega 6's.

johnnyironboard
06-21-2007, 03:40 AM
trans fat is the enemy- not saturated.

The Solution
06-21-2007, 03:44 AM
aim to get ur fats from olive oil/fish oil/ flax oil/ sunflower oil , peanut butter, and peanut/walnuts/almonds

great snacks and condiments and easy and fast to take down.. great way to add to ur diet and easier then buying expensive meat IMO

Bill_Rizer
06-21-2007, 06:49 AM
aim to get ur fats from olive oil/fish oil/ flax oil/ sunflower oil , peanut butter, and peanut/walnuts/almonds

great snacks and condiments and easy and fast to take down.. great way to add to ur diet and easier then buying expensive meat IMO

I always see peanut butter mentioned on this forum as an incredible food, but why is that? I know fat is good for you, but doesn't it have way too much?

SCguy
06-21-2007, 08:08 AM
The fats from beef are far from dirty. Beef broth should have little to no fat, if made properly. (allowed to cool and the fat removed after it has hardened.) In regards to the fat in nearly all cuts of beef, over 50 % of the fat is monounsaturated oleic acid, the same as in olive oil and a good portion of the saturated fat is stearic acid, another good fat. Don't tell anyone I told you, otherwise people might think that the fat from beef is good for you and the prices may go up. ;)

Fats to avoid (bad fats) imo are trans fats from hydrogenated vegetable/seed oils, refined polyunsaturated oil, and especially refined polyunsaturated fats high in omega 6's.

I'm holding a jar of Planters Roasted Peanuts in my hand right now and it has 4 grams of Polyunsaturated fat and 6 grams of Monounsaturated fat per serving. I've been under the impression that peanuts are one the items that contain "good fats". ???

Bruzey
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
We need saturated fat just the same as poly and mono fats. Eat up that beef!

garlichead
06-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm holding a jar of Planters Roasted Peanuts in my hand right now and it has 4 grams of Polyunsaturated fat and 6 grams of Monounsaturated fat per serving. I've been under the impression that peanuts are one the items that contain "good fats". ???The fats in peanuts are ideal in moderation SC. Their more of the natural variety (poly fats) than refined, which is the preferred source. But if large % of your fats are coming from nuts and seeds which, for the majority, are high in omega 6's, you will definately be putting your health in serious jeopardy, unless you balance your intake of omega 6 with similar amounts of omega 3's. That BALANCE issue rears it's ugly head again.;)