PDA

View Full Version : Mercury is worse then I thought!!

LiL USMC BBer
09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Perfect link for eggy...

www.gotmercury.org

we're all dead...

teen8ger
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
yes we will die, but not now...

The FDA shows very low levels or non-detectable levels of mercury in wild salmon. Farmed salmon, however, contain significant levels of PCB's and current salmon farming practices are extremely harmful to ocean ecosystems.

DieselForce
09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Damn, that sucks. Tuna is a major staple in my diet. I hope that website is overstating those facts.

LiL USMC BBer
09-09-2004, 10:45 AM
so do I...

I don't have 2 cans a week either... 2 cans a week put me at about 80-90% I thinik..... I have 2 cans a DAY!!!!!!!!

Gaz[]v[]atrix
09-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Nice link, I eat at least a can a day but I know people who eat at least 2 and have done for years. I never heard of anyone getting poisoned from tuna but it’s an interesting link I would like to know how many people have actually have had a problem from mercury in fish if anyone can add to this I would be interested, as they say so much about everything we eat we shouldn’t eat anything according to the statistics lol.

teen8ger
09-09-2004, 11:25 AM
i got some nerve damage from eating tuna 2 cans/day
my shoulder would unvoluntarily twitch
i stopped eating tuna and now its almost gone, happens very rarely
before it used to happen a lot

but that tuna was imported from TAIWAN and was very cheap in price... maybe good quality tunas wont cause this thing.

I stopped eating tuna and started buying salmon fillets its $3.99/pound for 1 pound boneless skinless for 4 fillets. It is like $1 for 1 fillet and I like this much better than the tuna, tastes much better as well

nbjork
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
its all overrated...dont worry about mercury unless you eat like shark or swordfish every meal of the day

hepennypacker52
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
its all overrated...dont worry about mercury unless you eat like shark or swordfish every meal of the day

bump

There's very trace amounts of mercury in regular canned tuna. A can a day won't do any harm.

Ron_Jeremy
09-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Think long term. A can a day for the next 5 year may not hurt but you keep it up for 10, 15, 20 years, eventually you will have accumulated enough to cause health problems when your older. Toxins and pesticides do build up in the body over time. The body is great at repairing its self but it has a tough time discharging all the heavy metals.

hepennypacker52
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Think long term. A can a day for the next 5 year may not hurt but you keep it up for 10, 15, 20 years, eventually you will have accumulated enough to cause health problems when your older. Toxins and pesticides do build up in the body over time. The body is great at repairing its self but it has a tough time discharging all the heavy metals.

I'd probably die of nutritional boredom if I ate a can of tuna every day for 10, 20 years.

anked
09-09-2004, 05:12 PM

Nobody is going to have the consistency or desire to eat a can of tuna every day for long enough to see major mercury buildup in their system.

Ron_Jeremy
09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Sorry, didn't mean eating a can of tuna a day for 10-20 years. You don't need to eat a can a day to accumulate, but if your eating a good amount of canned tuna, it can accumulate a build up of mercury. It's just like with anything else, try to eat mostly whole, fresh foods. It doesn't matter if your BBing or joe blow off the street, the best diet is a balanced one with fresh stuff low in chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides. You can dispute it all you want but the research is out there. Each to his own, peace.

PlayboyTR
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
my percentage was 1140%.... i think i see the white light... cant breathe.... falling..........

Melkor
09-09-2004, 09:38 PM
the best diet is a balanced one with fresh stuff low in chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides.

This is the truth. lol

aurovon
09-09-2004, 09:43 PM
damn...well im 19yr college kid so i gotta be cheap wit tuna for now.

anked
09-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Sorry, didn't mean eating a can of tuna a day for 10-20 years. You don't need to eat a can a day to accumulate, but if your eating a good amount of canned tuna, it can accumulate a build up of mercury. It's just like with anything else, try to eat mostly whole, fresh foods. It doesn't matter if your BBing or joe blow off the street, the best diet is a balanced one with fresh stuff low in chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides. You can dispute it all you want but the research is out there. Each to his own, peace.

Agreed. Moderation is the key.

LiL_JaY
09-10-2004, 03:49 AM
i eat like 250g tuna day.. and about 1kg a week

Melkor
09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
:eek:

chad12121
09-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Sounds like that website is just trying to scare people about eating fish, because of the way they are caught. If it is a site about mercury poisoning why do they have this section:

Most Modern Fishing Practices Are Not Sustainable
Many of the fish species listed in the calculator are endangered or being caught using methods that are unsustainable. If you would like more information on eating sustainable seafood, please vist the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch. or the Environmental Defense website's Seafood Selector.

I have heard it many times before. Unless your eating tuna for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner everyday. I am sure you will be ok.

chad12121
09-10-2004, 01:45 PM
As a matter of fact it is not what it sounds like, that is exactly what the site is trying to do. Scare people from buying tuna, because of the way the fish are caught. The site is "A Project of Turtle Island Restoration Network". I looked up Turtle Island Restoration Network in google and look what I found. http://www.seaturtles.org A site for protecting endangered sea turtles. Bunch of freakin hippies trying to stop me from getting my protein.

Ron_Jeremy
09-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Ok, I can't comment on that web site but there is serious concern about mercury levels in fish in one of the the rivers near me. The health department doesn't recommend eating fish out of the river more than once a month. The thing that pisses people off is that no signs are posted and a lot of immigrants and poor people fish there daily as a means of getting food. The ocean is probably not poluted like our rivers but it's beggining to catch up.

ll ReNeGaDe ll
09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
As a matter of fact it is not what it sounds like, that is exactly what the site is trying to do. Scare people from buying tuna, because of the way the fish are caught. The site is "A Project of Turtle Island Restoration Network". I looked up Turtle Island Restoration Network in google and look what I found. http://www.seaturtles.org A site for protecting endangered sea turtles. Bunch of freakin hippies trying to stop me from getting my protein.

bastards...

animal right activists make me sick

No0b
09-10-2004, 05:55 PM
I've gotten headaches when I've eaten a lot of Albacore.
First started happening when I was eating 2 7oz packages of Starkist Albacore a day. Then when I stopped for a while and only ate a couple of week I was fne.

Then today, I had 1 can of chunk light and 2 cans of Albacore.. Heachache is back.

But in my case, that is kind of a lot.

Melkor
09-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Sounds like that website is just trying to scare people about eating fish, because of the way they are caught. If it is a site about mercury poisoning why do they have this section:

I have heard it many times before. Unless your eating tuna for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner everyday. I am sure you will be ok.

Buddy this is true. For all of history people thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to fish out the ocean, but a lot of marine scientists are starting to realize that it is already starting to happen. Average fish size, average catches, everything is starting to decline.

impulse3k
09-10-2004, 06:27 PM
After eating about 2 cans of tuna a day I got big rashes on my forearms. Stopped eating the tuna and no rashes. Now I don't eat tuna.

LiL USMC BBer
09-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I've been eating two cans a day for like ever... so far no effects atleast that I know of... but its only been like..... I dunno a year? not even.. not that long..

I was talking to my science teacher last year and she said that if I get mercury poisoning you can swallow gold nuggets as mercury binds with gold.

I'm sure one day we'll get some kind of technology to filter the blood of heavy metals? Have to..

bkman4
09-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Mercury levels in fish have stayed the same for about 100 years. Isolated farms can have problems, but as a whole fish are just as safe now as they were in 1900.

JB20
09-23-2004, 10:32 AM
I have 2 cans a DAY!!!!!!!!

same here i will take my chances

Liquid
09-23-2004, 01:23 PM
good thing i have chunk light, it says its better than other one w00t

ps. I think i DO have the consistency to accumulate high levels of mercury :(

Ron_Jeremy
09-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Mercury levels in fish have stayed the same for about 100 years. Isolated farms can have problems, but as a whole fish are just as safe now as they were in 1900.

Ummmm.... ok, if you really think pollution levels are the same as they were 100 years ago. WTF???

bkman4
09-24-2004, 08:45 AM
It's not even really that well understood by the scholars right now. There was a big scare about 20yrs ago. They tested fish from all over the world. Then they looked at museum samples from the early 1900's. There was no difference in the amount of heavy metals, especially mercury in the fish. The tests have stayed the same since. We don't fully understand the implications of dumping into the environment. What we do know is that as a whole fish are not dangerous.