PDA

View Full Version : Good for wrestling?

Varsity 130
05-19-2002, 06:46 PM
I weigh 135 right now but next year I'll be wrestling anywhere from 125 to 140 (wherever I'm needed). To stay in shape and get a head start on next season, I'm going to be doing the Navy SEAL workout + wrestling + lifting. For those of you who don't know about the SEAL workout, go to http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm . I'm going to be doing various steps at different times so I can get to Week 6 of Category 2 by the end of the summer. In addition, I'll be lifting HIT on Wednesdays and Sundays and wrestling Tuesdays, Thursdays, and possibly Saturdays.

This is my lifting routine (numbers in () are projected failure):
Squat (20)
SLDL (10)
Barbell Rows (8)
Bench Press (8)
Dumbell Shoulder Press (8)
Barbell Curls (8)
Dips (8)
Shrugs (12)

Is this a good workout for a wrestler? Thanks for any input. And yes, I'm going to be eating a lot so don't worry about nutrition.

liftin14
05-19-2002, 07:18 PM
That would work pretty good. Just eat like and and use good supplements.

dez/null
05-19-2002, 07:33 PM
i will be trying the navy seals workout this summer also brother..
one thing tho is when it starts getting hard...eat TONS you will be looseing upwards to 2 pounds a day

Smitty285
05-20-2002, 01:36 PM
That Seals workout looks perfect for a wrestler. I think what I'm going to do is lift through July, and then in August begin the seals workout. Instead of swimming, however, I'm going to jumprope because I dont' have access to a pool.

Iron Dog
05-21-2002, 04:22 PM
I'm a wrestler, my coach is certified in some weight lifting for wrestling thing. And all wrestlers in the off season use this workout.

2 day push/pull 5 days a week

DAY1 Push
Super set Bench press with flys 3 sets 10 reps
Push ups until failure
Shoulder raises 3 sets of ten reps
Tricep Pushdowns 3 sets of ten reps

Day 2 Pull
Seated rows 3 sets of 10 reps
Super set T-Bar rows and dumbell rows 3 sets of 10 reps
Pull ups till failure
Standing Bar Curl 3 sets of 10 reps

Then once a week I do calf raises and squats
Afer pull day I run 25 stairs up and down

Through this I've noticed that I got a lot stronger, maybe this would help you in any way. Good Luck!

Varsity 130
05-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After talking to my teammates, I've decided to drop the calisthenics altogether. They are more for endurance than strength, and I definitely need to gain strength right now. At the beginning of the next school year, I'll hit the calisthenics hard to be prepared endurance-wise for the season. I also decided to drop the swimming. I just found out the gym I'm planning to go to doesn't have a pool, but if I can get in once or twice a week, I will. So basically I'm just using the SEAL workout for running. As for the lifting, I'm changing that. I'll probably do Push, Pull, Legs/Neck/etc., Pull in a 4-day split with abs on Pull days. Is that better? worse? Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Smitty285
05-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Do the SEALS workout towards the beginning of the season. I would recomend lifting hard all summer to get stronger, and the the SEALS to lose weight and get down to whichever weight-class your going for, while still preserving the muscle you've gained during the summer.

Iron Dog
05-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Sounds good, work on your fore arms too, they help in wrestling with grip and ****. Good luck, train hard.

dez/null
05-22-2002, 09:54 PM
forarms can be trained by just handleing the weights and useing a hand gripper...