PDA

View Full Version : Fiber questions

bAby norAA
06-17-2007, 08:36 PM
how can fiber help me nutrionally? I'm a bit confused on its useage.

Does it harden you up? or is it more used as a laxative?

I'm more talking about things like metamucil and benefiber suppliments. I'm having a hard time with the hours of my summer job getting my diet where i want it, and i'm trying to figure out fiber. What would be a good fiber suppliment? and how much a day so it doesnt give me the runs or anything...i dont know diddly squat about fiber, and the more research i google with it, the more confused i get.

if someone could shed some light on it for me that would be great.

Quadroplex
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Laxative, and you've already listed some of the better fiber supplements ;)

CHM
06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Fiber has many benefits. To name a few, slowing digestion, improving nutrient absorbion, and promoting a healthy digestive system.

CHM
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Some people will get gas and diareaha from too much fiber, but just adding it a couple times a day probably won't give you these side effects.

Tussmann57
06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
it is practically calorieless, also when you eat it, it allows you to feel much more full as apposed to other carbs, this def helps on cuts.

iLLestOne
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Would fiber be good to take before bed, w/ some cottage cheese and milk/whey!?

I'm averaging 21g of fiber a day... (5'9", 175lbs) Is that enough!?

Dr. Horse
06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Eat spinach. It's good for your colon.

Ecap
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey man, fiber is an essential part of your diet.
Fiber composes the bulk of your feces. Fiber does not really stick anywhere in your body. Why, then, is it such an important part of a well balanced diet?
Think about it this way. People evolved to really like sugar. We evolved in an environment where the only sugary foods around were also food that were high in fiber (for example: fruits, vegetables, honey, nuts). Through modern food technology we have been able to produce foods which contain only sugar, but none of the fiber which is actually what we biologically need. This is why candy tastes so good - because our 'evolutionary body' associates it with fiber.
In any case, fiber has a bunch of functions. It slows the intake of sugar into the bloodstream and dampens the insulin reaction, which is VERY IMPORTANT for long term health (cough cough diabetes). It acts as a lubricant in your digestive system which makes you feel FULL faster, preventing you from overeating. It also prevents constipation.
There's a lot more I have to learn about it, obviously, but fiber is ESSENTIAL for good health. 99% of the obese or overweight people you run into have little or no fiber in their diet, and they have horrible long term health problems (not to mention they are fatter) because of it.
Also, try to get your fiber naturally, not through pills or supplements. Just eat fruit, veges, beans... stuff like that. 1/2 cup of navy beans can provide you with 92% of your daily fiber intake!
In any case, hope this helps, and good luck!

Hallelujah
06-18-2007, 12:12 AM
That's great info.
Healthy cereals usually have a good amount of fibre too.
Also its very important against things like colon cancer.

iLLestOne
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Oroweat Double Fiber Bread has 6g (24%) in 1 slice :)

It does have HFCS though :( :(

http://www.thedailyplate.com/food-nutrition/food/oroweat/double-fiber-bread?PHPSESSID=4c692a02e88e0246803095c52dc1be33

CHM
06-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Fiber would be a great addition to your last meal of the day. It will prolong digestion overnight. The RDA for fiber is 25g. The RDA is a bit short on what bodybuilders actually need, so i'd add some more to your diet.

Victim
06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
I wash down about a tablespoon per day of psyllium husks ,just be carefull you dont choke on them as they swell quickly when exposed to moisture.

bAby norAA
06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
so if i were to get a fiber suppliment (ie. metimucil, fibercon etc) which would u guys recommend?

Recklessbat
06-19-2007, 06:33 AM

No, I talked to a nutritionist who recommended upwards of 30 grams for me (5'8", 150 lbs)! I was shocked, as I was getting about the same amount as you. I've never had digestion problems other than when I start new stacks, though, so I never really worried about it. Plus my mom's a nurse and said there's no need to supplement at the level I get daily anyway.

ChiefGuy
06-19-2007, 06:42 AM
so if i were to get a fiber suppliment (ie. metimucil, fibercon etc) which would u guys recommend?

It doesn't really matter; I personally add flax seed to a meal here or there... has protein too.