PDA

View Full Version : Saint Mike's "Saving my life" Journal

Saint Mike
06-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Well, I decided I may as well go ahead and make this into a journal... Just seems like the thing to do.

I had my first session with the trainer yesterday afternoon. He gave me the following breakdown:

Weight: 369lbs
Neck: 19"
Chest: 56"
Bicep: 16"
Forearm: 13"
Waist: 55"
Hips: 62"
Thigh: 28"
Calf: 20"

Body Fat: 33.6%
Fat mass: 124lbs
Lean mass: 245lbs

He also walked me through some machines that he wants me to start on. After that, he jumped on an eliptical machine next to mine and he showed me what that was all about.

DAMN!!! 5 minutes on that thing and my legs were like..."What the hell have you done to me?!?!?!"

Finished up the rest of my cardio on a tread mill. I am trying to do 1 hour of cardio a day. First the eliptical for as long as I can go, and then over to the tread mill. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do the whole 60min on the eliptical.

All in all I thing this is the beginning of something great. I'm actually looking forward to going back today. My next session with the trainer will be in a week.

At this session he will give me some sample menus. For now, he told me to try and keep it around 2500 cals. I've also started taking a multivitamin and lipotropics.

Mike

Hotmoltenlava
06-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Congratulations Saint Mike! This is just one more step of many to change your life. Public logs create accountablility. Accountability is a powerful motivator. Feel free to stop by the cutting contest thread. There is plenty of motivation to go 'round there as well. Start taking monthly pics of yourself. They will be painful to see at first, but will serve you well in a few months when you see how far you've come. Check mine out in my sig. I've gone from 35% body fat to under 20% in about 7 months. You can do it, too.

I'll be stopping by to see your progress.

**subscribed**

Have a good one.

TheKansan
06-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Well, I decided I may as well go ahead and make this into a journal... Just seems like the thing to do.

I had my first session with the trainer yesterday afternoon. He gave me the following breakdown:

Weight: 369lbs
Waist: 55"

Body Fat: 32.6%
Fat mass: 124lbs
Lean mass: 245lbs

He also walked me through some machines that he wants me to start on. After that, he jumped on an eliptical machine next to mine and he showed me what that was all about.

DAMN!!! 5 minutes on that thing and my legs were like..."What the hell have you done to me?!?!?!"

Finished up the rest of my cardio on a tread mill. I am trying to do 1 hour of cardio a day. First the eliptical for as long as I can go, and then over to the tread mill. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do the whole 60min on the eliptical.

All in all I thing this is the beginning of something great. I'm actually looking forward to going back today. My next session with the trainer will be in a week.

At this session he will give me some sample menus. For now, he told me to try and keep it around 2500 cals. I've also started taking a multivitamin and lipotropics.

Mike

Hey Mike, sounds like you are on the road to success. I notice that for your size you have a very high amount of lean muscle. Thats a good thing, you must already be into lifting. Aside from the cardio, what do you do for lifting in your workout?

Whatever happens good luck. Do whatever you have to do to get yourself where you want to be.

Saint Mike
06-14-2007, 06:50 AM
I notice that for your size you have a very high amount of lean muscle. Thats a good thing, you must already be into lifting. Aside from the cardio, what do you do for lifting in your workout?Actually I have not been lifting. That starts today.

The way he explained it is that the lean mass is not only muscle, but also bone, internal organs, etc. Anything that isn't fat mass.

Hotmoltenlava
06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Actually I have not been lifting. That starts today.

The way he explained it is that the lean mass is not only muscle, but also bone, internal organs, etc. Anything that isn't fat mass.

Hmmmmm......How did your trainer measure your body fat? I am not doubting the figure he came up with, just skeptical. At your height and weight, you'd have to be extremely built in order to have 245lbs Lean Body Mass. That would mean if you got down to 300lbs, without losing any muscle mass, you'd be about 20% body fat. One of two things is correct. Either you have incredible....I mean NFL starting lineman type genetics.....or your trainer didn't calculate correctly. In the grand scheme, it means nothing. Just move forward and bust your ass.

Have a good one.

Saint Mike
06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
He used Skyndex Calipers and took measurements at the following locations:

Bicep
Tricep
Subscapula
Iliac crest

The percentage was automaticly calculated by the calipers after the fourth measurement.

Hotmoltenlava
06-14-2007, 07:56 AM
He used Skyndex Calipers and took measurements at the following locations:

Bicep
Tricep
Subscapula
Iliac crest

Excellent! Well....you are certainly blessed with some good genetics. Shed that fat and you are going to be a force to be dealt with. Having that much LBM will certainly help in burning fat.

Good luck!

Saint Mike
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey all...

I'm about to head out for the gym. I have chosen from a list of exercises he gave me to start out with. Does this sound OK for a full body routine:

Hack Squats
Seated Leg Curls
Chest Press
Seated Fly
Tricep Extentions
Bicep Curls
Seated Row (Straight Back)
Lat Pulldowns (Front)

Tell me what you think.

Saint Mike
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Alright...Here are the notes from my first workout. A lot of it was trying to feel out what weight was right for me.

The gym has machines by Free Motion and Matrix. I have noted the type of machine that was used for each. FM and Mx

Began the workout with a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill.

FM Squats 60/15 - 70/15 - 80/15

Mx Seated Leg Curls 60/15 - 75/15 - 80/15

Mx Chest Press 85/15 - 85/15 - 90/15

Mx Seated Fly 55/15 - 70/15 - 80/15

Mx Tricep Extentions 30/15 - 30/15 - 30/15

FM Bicep Curls 20/15 - 25/15 - 30/15

Mx Seated Row (straight back) 70/15 - 70/15 - 75/15

Mx Lat Pulldowns (front) 55/15 - 70/15 - 70/15

After working out I did 20 minutes on a stationary bike followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill. Grade 4% Speed 3mph

phabphour20
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Began the workout with a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill.

GZ Hack Squats 60/15 - 70/15 - 80/15

Mx Seated Leg Curls 60/15 - 75/15 - 80/15

Mx Chest Press 85/15 - 85/15 - 90/15

Mx Seated Fly 55/15 - 70/15 - 80/15

Mx Tricep Extentions 30/15 - 30/15 - 30/15

GZ Bicep Curls 20/15 - 25/15 - 30/15

Mx Seated Row (straight back) 70/15 - 70/15 - 75/15

Mx Lat Pulldowns (front) 55/15 - 70/15 - 70/15

After working out I did 20 minutes on a stationary bike followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill. Grade 4% Speed 3mph

Nice bro. Good work out. You will probably be sore tomorrow, and the next day, but that sore is the best feeling you have had in a while.

Keep up the good work. Remember, intensity is important. Work hard and the weight will fall off.

TheKansan
06-14-2007, 05:34 PM
You must be very strong naturally. Personally I have only about 200 pounds of lean muscle mass.

cawiau
06-14-2007, 06:26 PM
No offense, but if you said that you only started working out today or yesterday...it is not likely that those numbers are correct. Not it really matters at this point.

You had a nice workout today.
I would suggest keeping your cardio between 30-45 minutes...1 hour is a little too extreme in my tast, but that is just me.

Keep up the good work!

cornwallus
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I also doubt you have 245 pounds of lean mass, maybe take some pics?,

HOWEVER it doesn't matter where you start, you WILL save your life, and it's all worth it, I'll be reading along!!

heathershubby
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
subscribed good to see you doing it the right way bro

Saint Mike
06-15-2007, 03:58 AM
Well, as far as the numbers go, he will take them again in a month. We'll know for sure then if they were accurate or not.

DAMN!!! I am feeling it today. Especially in the quads and chest. Although it hurts I have to be honest. IT FEELS GREAT!!! I feel more "alive" this morning than I have in a long time, If that makes sense.

I know the path I have chosen will not be an easy one. Then again, nothing worth it ever is.

Peace,
Mike

phabphour20
06-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Well, as far as the numbers go, he will take them again in a month. We'll know for sure then if they were accurate or not.

DAMN!!! I am feeling it today. Especially in the quads and chest. Although it hurts I have to be honest. IT FEELS GREAT!!! I feel more "alive" this morning than I have in a long time, If that makes sense.

I know the path I have chosen will not be an easy one. Then again, nothing worth it ever is.

Peace,
Mike

I told you man. It is a good pain. Just work through it. I like how when doing some new form of exercise, or a sport I haven't played in a while, I get sore in a place where I didn't even know muscle existed.

It is not easy man, but it does get easier the more you do it. Get a routine, get into a rhythm and you'll be there before you know it.

Keep up the good work!

TheKansan
06-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I remember when I started doing squats. Felt like I couldn't walk for the next few days. Funny thing was that I had just done sissy squats with 50 pounds. Now I am doing zercher squats with over 200 pounds and feel a lot less DOMS.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Hotmoltenlava
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM

You said it, brother!

Don't even think about jumping off the wagon this weekend. Jump on here and tell us how much it sucks to back away from the buffet at your friends' or family's backyard BBQ. Don't blow it. You took a stand, now stick with it.

Have a good weekend!

cawiau
06-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Peace,
Mike

The first steps are always the hardest one.
Try to stick to your guns for the next 3 months, after that it will all be a breeze.

Saint Mike
06-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Well, I brought my son to my mother's house yesterday so I couldn't hit the gym for my cardio. I ended up getting my cardio from a brisk 40min walk in the good old Louisiana sun.

It'll be back to the gym today for me.

Saint Mike
06-17-2007, 03:33 AM
OK guys I'm back. Did more cardio on Saturday. Went to the local track and walk/jogged 2 miles. I walked on the straightaways and jogged around the turns. Man..by the eighth lap I was ready for it to be over!!! Quite hot out there today!! (and that was mid morning)

Here's my diet plan for what it's worth.

Meal 1

1 cup oats
1.5 cups 1% milk

450 calories
9.75 grams fat
72 grams carbs
22 grams protein
4 grams dietary fiber

Meal 2

1 cup 1% milk
1 scoops ON whey (Strawberry)
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 pack Nature Valley granola bars

490 calories
9.5 grams fat
56 grams carbs
36 grams protein
5 grams dietary fiber

Meal 3

2 slices Rye bread
4 oz light tuna in water (drained)
mustard
1 golden delicious apple

340 calories
4 grams fat
52 grams carbs
28 grams protein
7 grams dietary fiber

Meal 4

16 oz V-8 low sodium
6 oz baby carrots (raw)
2 oz string cheese

316 calories
8 grams fat
31 grams carbs
17 grams protein
6 grams dietary fiber

Meal 5

4 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1.5 cups cooked spinach

471 calories
5.75 grams fat
49.7 grams carbs
32 grams protein
6.5 grams dietary fiber

Totals for Day

Calories 2067

Fat 37 grams (8.55%)

Carbs 260.7 grams (60.25%)

Protein 135 grams (31.2%)

Dietary Fiber 28.5 grams

Maybe if I'm feeling hungry toward bed time, or just need a snack, I can work in some 2% cottage cheese. What do you think?

Catch ya later,
Mike

Saint Mike
06-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Well guys, I had my second session with the trainer tonight.

All I can say is WTF?!?!

It has been 1 week and I have put on 7 pounds. I don't get it. I have been eating right and exercising regularly but I've gained!

Any Ideas?!

cornwallus
06-19-2007, 08:08 PM

All I can say is WTF?!?!

It has been 1 week and I have put on 7 pounds. I don't get it. I have been eating right and exercising regularly but I've gained!

Any Ideas?!

too many carbs champ!, 60% is way high, Try 40-45% and up the protein, Cardio DAILY, eat about 2000, you'll lose fat, I assure you

cawiau
06-19-2007, 08:24 PM
too many carbs champ!, 60% is way high, Try 40-45% and up the protein, Cardio DAILY, eat about 2000, you'll lose fat, I assure you

Exactly
Try 45% Protein / 35% Carb / 20% fat.
Also, need to up the exercise...you don't need a trainer each time. Try a 3 day full body split and also try to do cardio at least 4 times a week.

Hotmoltenlava
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM

All I can say is WTF?!?!

Any Ideas?!

Don't get discouraged. It is going to be like this for a while. Sometimes it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Sometimes it's 2 steps back and 1 forward. Just keep fighting and take the advice above. Trial and error is the key. If you don't like the results, change the routine. There is a solution, you just need to find it. Don't give up!

Have a good one.

cawiau
06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Saint Mike hope you did not give up.
Hang in there bro!

Calories 2067
Fat 37 grams (8.55%)
Carbs 260.7 grams (60.25%)
Protein 135 grams (31.2%)

Calories intake might be to low, but not sure. I am 300 lbs and My calorie intake is between 2300-2500.
Fat--> 8% is way to low. Don't go with the ida that fat is bad for you. You body needs fat. You need good fat.
Carbs -> 60% is definitely way to much. Need to lower it to at least 40 or 35%.
Protein -> That is the one you want high. Keep it at 40 or 45% .

Good luck!

Saint Mike
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey Saint Mike hope you did not give up.
Hang in there bro!No way man... I'm not quitting.

This has been the strangest week. I had rounded my weight numbers in the previous posts. Now I'm going to put them to the nearest tenth.

On 6/13 I had a starting weight of 368.8

On 6/19 I had gained almost 8 pounds and was at 376.6

On 6/21 I am (as of this post) down 10.2 pounds to 366.4

I understand that water weight can fluctuate throughout the day, but c'mon. Almost 20 pounds of swing in 9 days?!?!

Seriously?!?!

Saint Mike
06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm holding steady at 368...

I am going to have to start fresh tomorrow. I have been dealing with a death in the family for the past 4 days. I am utterly amazed that I have not gained weight.

I think the funeral today reinforced my will to get fit and survive. I will continue to keep you all posted on my progress. I will also post my new diet. I realized that I had way to many carbs and not enought fats.

Anyway, I'll talk with you all later.

Peace,
Mike

chrischap01
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
sorry about your loss

Druluv75
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Good Luck on your journey, Please do not worry about your scale weight. If you are lifting weight, you can easily gain muscle because you are just starting out. Try to read and research everything about weight training and nutrition. Remember nutrition is 85% of your journey. I didn't see any supplements lists, but I recommend a good multi-vitamin, and EFA supplement. It is is possible that to be 245lbs lean mass, it just a lot fat on top of it. Thats how powerful insulin is. You can gain lean mass without lifting weights. Just don't go crazy, you have a lot of muscle on you body, don't lose on the treadmill.

TheKansan
06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
No way man... I'm not quitting.

This has been the strangest week. I had rounded my weight numbers in the previous posts. Now I'm going to put them to the nearest tenth.

On 6/13 I had a starting weight of 368.8

On 6/19 I had gained almost 8 pounds and was at 376.6

On 6/21 I am (as of this post) down 10.2 pounds to 366.4

I understand that water weight can fluctuate throughout the day, but c'mon. Almost 20 pounds of swing in 9 days?!?!

Seriously?!?!

Hey guys and gals,

I'm holding steady at 368...

Let me just say that you are doing a good job regardless what the scale says that you weigh.

Scales can be inaccurate and wrong from time to time. I highly doubt that your weight swung that much. What is more likely is that the second weigh in where you had gained 8 pounds was a fluke or an error by the scale.

Saint Mike
06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
What is more likely is that the second weigh in where you had gained 8 pounds was a fluke or an error by the scale.I was kind of thinking that too.

I went tonight and did some cardio, just to get back in the swing of things and clear my head. I am now up to 20 minutes on the elliptical machine.

BTW, did you know that the word "elliptical" is derived from an ancient latin word meaning "Holy #$*& my legs are falling off!!!!"

Peace,
Mike

Saint Mike
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey guys...

I have attempted to refine my diet once again. Tell me what you think.

Meal 1

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese

370 calories
12 grams fat
35 grams carbs
29 grams protein

Meal 2

1 6oz container light yogurt
1 cup kashi go-lean cereal

280 calories
5 grams fat
46 grams carbs
16 grams protein

Meal 3

2 slices Rye bread
1 can light tuna in water (drained)
1 cup 1% milk

435 calories
12.5 grams fat
41 grams carbs
41.5 grams protein

Meal 4

10 whole wheat Ritz crackers
2 sticks imitation king crab legs
2 oz string cheese

360 calories
13 grams fat
37 grams carbs
22 grams protein

Meal 5

4 oz chicken breast
1.5 cups cooked spinach
1 serving ON 100% whey

365 calories
7 grams fat
17 grams carbs
61 grams protein

Meal 6

1 cup cottage cheese
2 tbs natty peanut butter

430 calories
25 grams fat
14 grams carbs
32 grams protein

Totals for Day

Calories 2240

Fat 74.5 grams (15.99%)

Carbs 190 grams (40.77%)

Protein 201.5 grams (43.24%)

Hotmoltenlava
06-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Diet looks very good. The cardio will get easier. I promise.

I'm glad to see you are sticking to this.

Have a good one.

ZachMc
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Just been reading along Saint, and I have to congradulate you on having the the courage, determination and will power to set yourself in a direction I still cant seem to do. I will continue to read along as you take your journey, perhaps I will find the motivation I've been lacking.

Thanks for shareing.

cawiau
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey, good to see you are still keeping at it.
Promise, cardio will get easier. I used to me in the 20 minutes club.
Now I do 45 minutes without realising it.
Hang in there.

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I know I did the right thing by starting this journal. It really does help keep you accountable. If anyone has any doubts about starting one, just do it! It helps a lot.

It's also fun to go back and re-read it just to stay motivated!

Peace,
Mike

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm up to 25 minutes on the elliptical. It gets a little easier every time. When I get to 45 minutes I think I will up the level.

I also did some fitness ball situps...6 sets of 30

Man, am I gonna feel THAT tomorrow.

I was cautious about the ball at first...Afraid it was gonna pop. But then I found out it's rated to 1000lbs. That made me feel lots better.

Peace,
Mike

chrischap01
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
that's a lot of situps! good job.

Saint Mike
06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Good God I am sore. It hurts most right below the ribcage.

I have a bad feeling about this. Every time I get sore I always get progressively more sore as the day goes on. By tonight I should be ready to die.

Anyone got any ideas for relieving sore abdominals?

Yours in pain,
Mike

chrischap01
06-28-2007, 11:52 AM
try stretching - the best way would probably be to hang from a pull up bar, but if you aren't around anything like that you could just reach up as high as you can and hold it there for a while

Saint Mike
06-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Wow...Just wow.

This is my first true fight with DOMS. Good lord, I hope it's the last.

I was planning on returning to the gym today, but this is bad. I coughed earlier and felt like I sh*t a 45lb plate.

I know it'll get better in a couple days. Ice packs and ibuprofen have really been helping.

Peace,
Mike

chrischap01
06-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I did that the first time I decided to use a plate when doing situps instead of just doing more and more reps with no weight. For some reason I brilliantly decided to jump straight from body weight to using a 45# plate. I woke up the next morning in the fetal position and had to use my arms and legs to push myself out of it! I felt it for 2 or 3 days, but like I said stretching helped the pain.

Freddie Beef
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
subscribed, keep up the good work.

TheKansan
06-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I know I did the right thing by starting this journal. It really does help keep you accountable. If anyone has any doubts about starting one, just do it! It helps a lot.

It's also fun to go back and re-read it just to stay motivated!

Peace,
Mike

I have an online journal, and a paper journal I keep at home and write more personal stuff inside. Looking back at the beginning (January 2007) it absolutely amzes me that I made it to this point. It seems like all the odds are against you.

You are doing a great job man, keep it up.

Saint Mike
06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I have an online journal, and a paper journal I keep at home and write more personal stuff inside.I have been keeping a home journal also. I have the desktop version of fitday on my laptop and use the diary section in that to write stuff I don't want everyone to see.

Saint Mike
06-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Ahhh....

I can still feel tinges of soreness, but all in all it is much much better. I will head back to the gym in the morning and get in a full body.

Today was kind of a crap day. I ended up eating out, but I think I managed to minimize the damage with my menu choices. I'll just chalk it up as a cheat day I guess.

Peace,
Mike

Saint Mike
06-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Did not hit the gym today as anticipated. I slept in and did some work around the house when I woke up. Worked up a pretty good sweat though.

I also decided today to add a fish oil supplement to my diet.

I am using Natrol Extreme Omega. I picked it up at WalGreens.

Per Capsule it has

1.5 grams fat
1200mg MEG-3 Fish Oil
323mg EPA
215mg DHA

jklv
06-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Good luck mike!
Hope you reach your goals ;)

EvoSummer
06-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Hey Mike,

Everything seems to be looking good. You seem to be eating the right types of foods and working out no matter what the situation is. The thing that bothers me a bit about the diet is the amount of calories you're getting. I'm at 205 and I'm taking in about 2300 calories. I got that number by multiplying my weight by 15 and subtracting 700 calories for a cut. I know that if you were to do that you'd have to eat 4700 calories which seems excessive, but do you think that maybe the diet needs a little tweaking in that sense? I wish I could say if it looks right or not, but I definitely am no expert. Anyone else know how many calories Mike should be taking in?

By the way, your ratio of carbs, protein, and fat looks spot on to me with good foods. You look motivated and I'm sure you'll be able to change your life for the better!

Saint Mike
06-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I couldn't imagine eating more than I am now, but if I should then I would.

With what I eat now I do not feel hungry at all throughout the day.

Peace,
Mike

EvoSummer
07-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I was looking up information and I found this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par53.htm

Basically it says to multiply your bodyweight by 12 and decrease a certain amount of calories each week. The problem I see with cutting so many calories so quickly is that your body might enter into a starvation mode and slow down your metabolism so you're not burning as much as you could and effectively making you less hungry. While I don't know too much on the subject, you might want to PM an experienced member on this board and ask them real quick if your fatloss stalls in any way. Keep us updated on how you're doing man.

Saint Mike
07-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey guys,

I may be starting to see some progress. I have decided to start weighing in every Tuesday. Yesterday at weigh in I was 367.4lbs.

That's 3.8 lbs lost since last Tuesday.

It's only 1.4 lbs total loss, however I am still thinking that the 7.8 lb swing I had in my first week was an error.

I am begining to notice my energy level increasing. I am also waking up less tired. All in all, I think I am headed in the right direction.

Peace,
Mike

Freddie Beef
07-04-2007, 06:27 AM
sounds great, keep it up bro!!

chrischap01
07-04-2007, 06:58 AM
I was looking up information and I found this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par53.htm

Basically it says to multiply your bodyweight by 12 and decrease a certain amount of calories each week. The problem I see with cutting so many calories so quickly is that your body might enter into a starvation mode and slow down your metabolism so you're not burning as much as you could and effectively making you less hungry. While I don't know too much on the subject, you might want to PM an experienced member on this board and ask them real quick if your fatloss stalls in any way. Keep us updated on how you're doing man.
There is one school of thought tthat thinks you should calculate your caloric needs based on LBM rather than body weight. I am not that scientific about it, but I am in that ball park and it's been working. I do hit plateaus, which might be due to the "starvation mode" effect, but a refeed usually gets me going again.

Mike, glad to hear you are making progress and feeling good!

chrischap01
07-04-2007, 07:00 AM
just to add: I think that the frequency of meals seems to keep my metabolism stoked moreso than how much I eat, but I have no science to back that up

Freddie Beef
07-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree, eating every 2-3 hours does give your metabolism a boost. I know that for a fact. But make the meals within the 300-400 calorie range, no big meals.

Saint Mike
07-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Alright guys and gals,

I have decided to restructure my lifting. I am switching to a 2 day push/pull split. Here are the workouts.

Workout A - Push

Hack Squats
DB Bench Press
Seated Leg Press
DB Inclined Bench Press
Hip Abductors
DB Shoulder Press
Seated Calf Press
Skull Crushers

Workout B - Pull

Lat Pulldowns
Seated Leg Curls
Bent Over DB Rows
Hip Adductors
Upright Row
DB Curls
DB Shrugs
Swiss Ball Situps

Workout Schedule

A X B X A X X (Week 1)
B X A X B X X (Week 2)

What do you guys think?

TheKansan
07-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Alright guys and gals,

I have decided to restructure my lifting. I am switching to a 2 day push/pull split. Here are the workouts.

Workout A - Push

Hack Squats
DB Bench Press
Seated Leg Press
DB Inclined Bench Press
Hip Abductors
DB Shoulder Press
Seated Calf Press
Skull Crushers

Workout B - Pull

Lat Pulldowns
Seated Leg Curls
Bent Over DB Rows
Hip Adductors
Upright Row
DB Curls
DB Shrugs
Swiss Ball Situps

Workout Schedule

A X B X A X X (Week 1)
B X A X B X X (Week 2)

What do you guys think?

I'm by no means a good critic of workouts, especially since my goals are probably different than your own (my main goal is strength). It looks good though I wonder how long it will take you to do all those exercises.

EvoSummer
07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Looks like you're really trying hard man. Good job. Just keep it coming and keep us informed so we know how you're doing with your progress!

cawiau
07-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I did a 2 day workout split or push/pull last year.
I absolutely love them

But mine was

AXBXA rest day AXBXA rest day
next day start again
So basically my workouts schedule would go on 8 days instead of a normal 7 with 2 days.
I loved it.

I am sure you are going to like it. It is pretty intense.
By the way, how is the weight loss going?

Saint Mike
07-10-2007, 01:56 PM
As always, Tuesday is weigh-in day.

Again the scales have moved down! I lost 3.2 lbs and am now 364.2 lbs.

I have also set a short term goal to be at 350 lbs by August 4th.

By Christmas I want to at least be out of the "300 club" as Cawiau likes to call it.

We have a vacation tenatively slated for February and I know that I will enjoy it a whole lot more by reaching these goals.

Peace,
Mike

chrischap01
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
As always, Tuesday is weigh-in day.

Again the scales have moved down! I lost 3.2 lbs and am now 364.2 lbs.

I have also set a short term goal to be at 350 lbs by August 4th.

By Christmas I want to at least be out of the "300 club" as Cawiau likes to call it.

We have a vacation tenatively slated for February and I know that I will enjoy it a whole lot more by reaching these goals.

Peace,
Mike
good job, Mike!

cawiau
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
good job!With dedication, you will be out of the 300 club in no time.

Saint Mike
07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Well guys,

This was the first day this week doing the Push / Pull split that I posted about. Today was the Push portion, tomorrow will be the pull.

All in all I think it went fairly well, but a lot of the workout was spent feeling out what weight I will use on each exercise. That is why there may be such a large jump from one set to the next.

After the workout I did 35 minutes on the dreaded elliptical machine.

Here are the numbers.

Seated Leg Extentions: 55/12, 70/10, 100/10
DB Bench Press: 35/10, 40/10, 45/10
Seated Leg Press: 85/12, 100/12, 150/15
DB Incline Bench Press: 35/10, 40/10, 45/10
Hip Abductors: 70/12, 100/12, 130/15
DB Shoulder Press: 35/10, 40/10, 40/9
Calf Press: 130/10, 145/10, 160/15
Skull Crushers: 30/10, 40/10, 50/15

Elliptical: 35 Minutes, Level 2, 5.1 miles

cawiau
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
nice workout.
Good luck
Starting the push and pull in August
Good luck

Saint Mike
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Did the pull portion of my routine today. After that I did the same cardio workout as yesterday.

Here are the numbers.

Lat Pulldowns: 60/12, 70/12, 90/12
Seated Leg Curls: 55/12, 70/12, 100/12
Bent Over DB Rows: 40/10, 50/10, 50/10
Hip Abductors: 70/12, 85/12, 100/15
Upright BB Rows: 50/10, 60/10, 60/10
DB Curls: 25/10, 25/10, 30/6
DB Shrugs: 30/15, 40/15, 55/10
Swiss Ball Situps: 3x30reps

Elliptical: 35 Minutes, Level 2, 5.1 Miles

BTW, this is totally unrelated but... I had been using ON 100% Strawberry for my shakes. Today I bought a jug of the Double Chocolate flavor and I must say. This stuff kicks major ass!

Peace,
Mike

Saint Mike
07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey people,

I'm still hanging in there. I missed my weigh-in on Tuesday. FYI, there may be an unusual drop to my weight this week. I have decided to start weighing myself first thing in the morning instead of dressed in the mid-morning hours. The first weigh-in of this kind will be tomorrow morning.

BTW, my clothes are starting to get looser!!! YAY!!!

Freddie Beef
07-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Hey people,

I'm still hanging in there. I missed my weigh-in on Tuesday. FYI, there may be an unusual drop to my weight this week. I have decided to start weighing myself first thing in the morning instead of dressed in the mid-morning hours. The first weigh-in of this kind will be tomorrow morning.

BTW, my clothes are starting to get looser!!! YAY!!!

Loose clothes=SUCCESS

Saint Mike
07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Loose clothes=SUCCESSYeah...I love the fact that I had to tighten up my belt a notch.

This is really going to be disappointing to the people at the B&T shop.

My weigh-in this morning was 359 on the dot :D

Saint Mike
07-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Sup guys!

Haven't been on the boards in a while. Well...I am really anxious to see what I weigh in at tomorrow. I have been eating really clean with one exception. We went to a wedding last Friday and I ate anything but clean. I'm counting it as a cheat.

On a totally unrelated topic, I'm getting tickets to Voodoo Fest!!! Woohoo!!!! Check out this lineup!
3 Stages, 3 Days, 89 Bands

http://www.voodoomusicfest.com/2007/experience_lineup/

Saint Mike
07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Looks like I will hit my short term goal of 350 lbs by August 4th.

This morning I weighed in at 355.2 lbs!!!

Gonna hit the gym hard this afternoon.

Peace,
Mike

Freddie Beef
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Way To Go Brotha!!!

Hotmoltenlava
07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Looks like I will hit my short term goal of 350 lbs by August 4th.

This morning I weighed in at 355.2 lbs!!!

Gonna hit the gym hard this afternoon.

Peace,
Mike

Great job, man. Seems like only yesterday you came here and now you are seeing serious results. Keep it up.

Saint Mike
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I had my trainer take my BF% and measurements for the second time today. Here's the comparison.

6/13/2007

Weight: 368.8 lbs
Waist: 61"

Body Fat: 33.6%
Fat mass: 123.92 lbs
Lean mass: 244.88 lbs

7/24/2007

Weight: 357.4 lbs (- 11.4 lbs)
Neck: 18" (- 1")
Chest: 54" (- 2")
Bicep: 16" (No Change)
Forearm: 12" (- 1")
Waist: 57" (- 4")
Hips: 59" (- 3")
Thigh: 29" (+ 1")
Calf: 20" (No Change)

Body Fat: 30.3% (- 3.3%)
Fat mass: 108.29 lbs (- 15.63 lbs)
Lean mass: 249.11 lbs (+ 4.23 lbs)

I am on a high right now that's beyond compare!!!

Saint Mike
08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey all...

It's been quite a while since my last post. I didn't make my goal of 350 lbs set for August 4th. On August 6th I weighed in at 351.6 lbs and I cannot begin to describe how super pissed I was (and still am).

I have not been on the scale since.

I have incorporated HIIT on the elliptical on my non-WO days.

I also just dropped some coin on a supplement order. I have the following sups coming in.

CL Orange Triad
CL SesaGlow
NOW Ultra Omega-3
NOW EGCg
NOW LipoTrim

I want to avoid stimulants at all cost due to blood pressure issues. Once I drop enough weight, hopefully my BP won't be an issue anymore.

Of course I ordered some ON Extreme Milk Chocolate to go with the order.

I don't know when I am going to weigh in again. I doubt it will be any time soon. I guess I'll just keep my head up, quit whinin' like a b*tch and keep pounding it out at the gym.

Peace,
Mike

stark6935
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey man, keep that chin up! 1 lb away from your goal is nothing. You set your goal perfectly. You set it just high enough it was achievable, but not so high you should be dissapointed by not getting there. Hell, you could probably piss 1 lb off in an hour, I actually sweated about 1.5 lbs last night doing my cardio. So keep it up Reps to you.

Saint Mike
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I guess I just needed a different perspective.

Repped.

chrischap01
08-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Dude, gettin within 1.6 pounds of your goal is perfect. That means you are headed in exactly the right direction, so keep it up!!

I weighed in one evening last week and came in at 305, then weighed the very next morning and I was 299. And that is a typical daily fluctuation for me, so a pound or two here or there means nothing. You are right where you want to be, so set the next goal and go get it!

Saint Mike
08-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I just get a little impatient at times (not just with weight loss). It's the way I am and I realize that.

I have a trip planned to Disney World some time early 2008. I want to be out of the 300 club by then so that I can enjoy myself even more than I did 4 years ago.

That is my long term goal right now.

chrischap01
08-12-2007, 06:15 AM
sounds like a plan!

DW is a great time, I used to go every couple of years but I think 01 or 02 is the last time I made it out there.

sumisan
08-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Hey thanks for stopping by my thread, the scale does the same thing to me. I hate the thing, but NEED it at the same time. We have a sick relationship.

Saint Mike
08-12-2007, 07:30 AM
I hate the thing, but NEED it at the same time. We have a sick relationship.Hell...I'd rather have a sick relationship with the scale than a sick relationship with food.

Luckily, I have put that behind me (and I though quitting smoking was hard).

sumisan
08-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Very True and that is why it's sits there still and mocks me hehe :D

sumisan
08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
How's it going Mike? Hope the scale didn't come alive and hold you hostage :D

Saint Mike
08-16-2007, 05:46 PM
How's it going Mike? Hope the scale didn't come alive and hold you hostage :DNope...I beat it to death with a protein bar!

Actually I weighed in this morning at 348.8 lbs, so I'm 2.8 lbs down since 8/6.

sumisan
08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
ROFL, now there is an idea!

:) WTG!! Your still on fire!!

Freddie Beef
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Keep it up brotha!!

Saint Mike
08-20-2007, 02:07 PM
It looks as if things are back on track for me. As of this morning I'm an even 347 lbs. That's 1.8 lbs down from 8/16.

sumisan
08-20-2007, 02:54 PM
That is awesome!!!!!

Saint Mike
08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Cardio is getting better and better. Today I did an hour on the elliptical at level 5. God, I remember when 5 minutes killed me that first time.

In an effort to keep my body off guard I will be changing up my routine from a 2-day push/pull to a 3-day chest&back/legs/arms&shoulders. When I hammer out the details I'll post them here.

BTW,
Did anyone else notice that when you lose weight you feel even more flabby than you did before? Weird.

Peace,
Mike

sumisan
08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Yay I think its because you skin has to catch up, I notice it in waves but it does catch up eventually :D

1 hour on the elliptical WOW! And I complain about my 45 minute cardio ROFL ( mind you 15 is warm up and cool down and stretch!)

Saint Mike
09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
God, has it actually been almost 3 weeks since my last post?

Well, I've been feeling like crap the last few weeks so I didn't get much done. Also, this caused my diet to suck as well. Some days I couldn't bring myself to eat anything. Other days I was starving.

In all I've remained hovering around 348 so I didn't really let myself go that badly.

Tomorrow I'm getting back into it.

I will finally get to start my 3-day split that I worked out.

A - Chest and Back
Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
Inclined Bench Press
Seated Rows
Pec-Dec Flys
Staight Arm Pulldowns
Shrugs
30 Minutes Cardio

B - Legs
Hack Squats
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Good Mornings
Hip Adductors
Hip Abductors
Calf Press
Reverse Calf Press

C - Shoulders and Arms
Shoulder Press
Lateral Raise
Rear Lateral Raise
Scull Crushers
Curls
Bench Dips
Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls
30 Minutes Cardio

Schedule will be as follows.

Monday - A
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - B
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - C
Saturday - Cardio
Sunday - Off

chrischap01
09-09-2007, 12:51 PM
good to hear from you, good luck getting back on the wagon! Looks like a pretty solid plan.

Freddie Beef
09-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Welcome Back!!

YMCA4ThisChick
09-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Saint Mike...Thank you for noting me on my post. I see we have a common issue. I hope to see you update your profile and then add some pictures. I havent added any before pix of myself either, but I plan to quickly. Seems my son has misplaced my web and digital cameras somehow.

Anyway, I took notice of your workout layout and think it has helped me figure out better what I should be doing.

I noticed also that three weeks ago when I started working out at the gym, that I wasnt even sure I could do a 5 minute cardio and now I have creeped up to a 10 min cardio, yay. Oh and our gym doesnt have that so popular epleptical, sheesh! But I am looking forward to the day I can post I have an hour of cardio.

Now I cant say that I have been flabbier, but again I have only been at this for three weeks and have lost and gained back 5 pounds. Haha. I do feel a difference in my lower back as it was weak and sore all the time but is now stronger and I am gaining strength in my legs as well.

So good luck to ya! and God bless,
Juliet.

Saint Mike
01-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I've decided to resurrect this journal rather than start a new one. I've not done anything to improve my situation in a very long time. Some of you will remember me. Some of you are meeting me for the first time. I will need help from both. I need accountability.

I will update all my stats in the morning and they will be updated on a weekly basis every Sunday morning. I am on my way to the grocery store and will most likely post a menu sometime tonight. At that time I hope to have a workout routine ready for posting as well. To get back into it I am planning a full body routine 3 day a week. More specifics will follow.

I now have a position that allows me to work Monday through Friday from 3am to 11am so getting to the gym should not be a problem. In fact, it should be rather quiet when I get off.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Peace,
Mike

smilex153
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Good luck, hope you stick with it and conquer some goals.

dbluegoat
01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I've decided to resurrect this journal rather than start a new one. I've not done anything to improve my situation in a very long time. Some of you will remember me. Some of you are meeting me for the first time. I will need help from both. I need accountability.

I will update all my stats in the morning and they will be updated on a weekly basis every Sunday morning. I am on my way to the grocery store and will most likely post a menu sometime tonight. At that time I hope to have a workout routine ready for posting as well. To get back into it I am planning a full body routine 3 day a week. More specifics will follow.

I now have a position that allows me to work Monday through Friday from 3am to 11am so getting to the gym should not be a problem. In fact, it should be rather quiet when I get off.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Peace,
Mike

You can do it man!

Saint Mike
01-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Here's what my workout looks like thus far...

Hack Squats (Lever Machine)
Barbell Straight Leg Deadlifts
Calf Press
Seated Row
Lateral Raise
Bench Press
Barbell Curls
Skull Crushers

Schedule will be MxWxFxx

jcasti02
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
You can do it man. Nice workout.

Saint Mike
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replies...

My menu is coming along nicely.. I will post the specifics later tonight after I get back from visiting with family.

Saint Mike
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Meal 1
Cheerios & 1% Milk
420 cals
9 fat
66 carb/6 fiber
22 protein

Meal 2
Sunflower Kernels & Yogurt
300 cals
17 fat
27 carb/3 fiber
13 protein

Meal 3
Turkey & Chedar on Whole Wheat
400 cals
16 fat
38 carb/4 fiber
25 protein

Meal 4
Whey, Oats & flax shake
340 cals
9 fat
35 carb/8 fiber
32 Protein

Meal 5
Turkey Chili
380 cals
6 fat
32 carb/6 fiber
46 protein

Meal 6
Cottage Cheese & Natural PB
360 cals
21 fat
18 carb/2 fiber
31 protein

Totals
2200 cals
78 fat
216 carbs/29 fiber
169 protein

Freddie Beef
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Looks good mike!!!

Saint Mike
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Due to complications yesterday, my workouts this week will be on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I'm just getting home from the gym and man, can I tell I haven't been in a while. I am definitely going to feel this tomorrow (Potty flops....yay). I actually started out too fast and cramped up. After a bit of stretching I was ok.

My weight Sunday morning was 373.6 (yikes!). My Diet has been spot on so far. I am also taking a multi, fish oil and green tea extract.

Here is my workout for the day.

Hack Squats
80x10
90x10
90x10

Seated Leg Curls
55x10
60x10
65x10

Seated Rows
85x10
90x10
95x10

DB Lateral Raise
20(2)x10
20(2)x10
20(2)x10

Bench Press
115x10
125x10
130x10

DB Curls
20x10
20x10
20x10

BB Skull Crushers
40x10
40x10
40x10

Freddie Beef
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice, solid workout.

cawiau
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Good workout! ;)

Saint Mike
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
OK guys... Right now I have a wicked case of DOMS from that first workout. Because of this I have decided to forego todays weight session. Instead I will use an extra day for recovery and stick to cardio only today.

Diet is still good.

My cardio session will be a nice brisk walk outside. Its 73 and sunny today. :D

Freddie Beef
01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
OK guys... Right now I have a wicked case of DOMS from that first workout. Because of this I have decided to forego todays weight session. Instead I will use an extra day for recovery and stick to cardio only today.

Diet is still good.

My cardio session will be a nice brisk walk outside. Its 73 and sunny today. :D

I am sad. It is 25 and snowy:(

Saint Mike
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Well, that extra day off did wonders. DOMS are much better today. I will be heading to the gym in a bit and I will post workout results when I get back home.

Saint Mike
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is my workout for the day.

(For some reason Bench Press felt weak today. I will stay at 135 until I get to 12 reps and then increase weight)

Hack Squats
90x12
100x12
120x12

Seated Leg Curls
65x12
70x12
75x12

Seated Rows
95x12
100x12
105x12

Machine Lateral Raise
40x12
50x12
60x12

Bench Press
135x6
135x6
135x7

DB Curls
20x12
25x12
25x12

Cable Tricep Extentions
40x12
45x12
45x12

All in all it felt pretty good. I feel so energized after lifting. I just need to remember to hydrate while lifting.

Peace,
Mike

Saint Mike
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
My daily dose of motivation...

This is a preseason motivational workout video for LSU

oYxMFpDf20A

cawiau
01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
My daily dose of motivation...

This is a preseason motivational workout video for LSU

oYxMFpDf20A

great vid bro

Saint Mike
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Well...My first weigh in yesterday showed that I am down 4.8 lbs. As soon as I can find my tape I will post my waist measurement for this week.

As for now, I'm about to hit the gym. I will post my workout later on today.

Freddie Beef
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Good job.