PDA

View Full Version : Question about canned fruit

Richie_Awesome
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes, I know it's not good for you
Yes, I know it's not as good as fresh fruit.

Might be a noob question, but it seems the major problem with canned fruit is the added sugar(syrup), so, how would it be if I drained all of the syrup?

boyscouT
06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes, I know it's not good for you
Yes, I know it's not as good as fresh fruit.

Might be a noob question, but it seems the major problem with canned fruit is the added sugar(syrup), so, how would it be if I drained all of the syrup?
if you're willing to take the effort to drain the syrup (and no, that won't make it any better) you might as well just buy real fruits

grapemaster
06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
buy frozen fruit, just as cheap and fresh.

kappakai
06-13-2007, 10:09 PM
or don't get it in heavy syrup. you can get it in lite. i mean, if it's soaking in syrup, it's going to absorb a lot of the syrup, draining will help but not that much.

Hallelujah
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
or make sure its in natural juices, not a sugar syrup, less sugar that way.

Richie_Awesome
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
if you're willing to take the effort to drain the syrup (and no, that won't make it any better) you might as well just buy real fruits

The time to drain the syrup is around 15 seconds or less. Really, it's not difficult at all. I agree real fruit is much better. It is more of a cost issue, I figured if the difference was marginal, I would go with the cheaper, though it required more work. But seems as though I'll go with fresh fruit now :D

buy frozen fruit, just as cheap and fresh.

Ok, I'll look into that. When I buy frozen broccoli, I generally microwave it with a TBSP or 2 of water...what's a good way to prepare frozen fruit?

or don't get it in heavy syrup. you can get it in lite. i mean, if it's soaking in syrup, it's going to absorb a lot of the syrup, draining will help but not that much.

Lite? Yeah, I've seen that. But it had a poor nutritional profile, I guess that was my answer all along.

or make sure its in natural juices, not a sugar syrup, less sugar that way.

Yeah, agreed, though it seems fresh is better.

daviess
06-13-2007, 10:45 PM
why what are your goals?

i know when i am cutting i cant have fruit at all,
it has a high natural sugar content as well...