PDA

View Full Version : sugar vs. sugar alcohols

ginch
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
the sugar-free powerbars i eat (usually 1 a day) have 16 grams of sugar alcohols in them

and i was thinking.....what is the difference between sugar and sugar alcohols?

marketing would make you think sugar alcohols are nothing to be worried about, but are the alcohols bad for the body (16 grams is a lot)

what i'm getting at....are the alcohols really any better than just sugar? and if so, how much better?

mehawk
08-13-2004, 05:07 PM
ginch

Search Sugar Alcohols online. I believe you'll find that they usually have fewer calories per gram than sugar, as well as less blood glucose spike. I think they are more diabetic (and atkins) friendly. I stay away from most processed foods, so I don't have much experience with them. Some people say sug alc give them stomach problems. I would likely experience this because I don't eat junk food or processed foods.

Hawk

ginch
08-13-2004, 07:05 PM
thanks for the reply....i haven't really sat down and researched the subject much yet....i figured this board would be a good place to start and get some direction.....thanks again

mehawk
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
No problem.

I did research on sugar alcohols a few months back, but I don't remember all the details now. Like I said, I stay away from them and sugar. Its just too bad that they are basically a main ingredient in half of what you buy at the grocery store or supp store. Most protein bars are loaded with them.

Hawk