PDA

View Full Version : Showing emotion on the field/court

Paladin13
06-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Do you guys scream your heads off when you make a big shot or a big hit or something or do you just act like "hey I've been here before, I'll be here again" and just act like a true professional.

My family tells me I need to show emotion and have a fire lit under my ass but I say no that it wont effect how I play.

My dad said Kevin McHale for the Celtics never showed emotion and that he was awesome so I think that what works for one doesn't work for all and what works for me is the "Hey, I've been here before, I'll be here again" approach.

Thoughts on this?

remix26
06-11-2007, 07:36 PM
when i make a big hit i scream WOOOOOOOO or i say something to the kid.

some dude tried to punt return verse me when i was like 5 yards away at full speed..didnt call fair catch and i drilled him..feet off the ground. i screamed WOOOOO BABY. U DONT PULL THAT **** ON ME. HELLL NOOOO. STAY DOWN SON.

its not like its a rare moment..i just get into big hits..big plays. im passionate about my football and i try to be like Ray Lewis(expect im quiet pregame..unlike Ray Ray)

Wrestling Man
06-11-2007, 07:41 PM
It all depends on the person. Some people like to show emotion, either to get their team up. (God knows I had to in football this past season)

Or some people like to just keep a lower profile about it.

It all depends on the person and what suits their style (sometimes) the best

caribou lou
06-11-2007, 07:43 PM
After either me or my friend makes a big hit we walk up to each other. Raise our arm up, then bring it down like were gunna hit our elbow hard on something then we just walk away. Kind of hard to explain but it works for us.

Dickson
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I show no emotion...saved a Penalty kick in provincial final and got up and yelled at my team for coming over to me to get in position. The game wasn't over and that was only a small part of it.

I'm like you (creator of thread), I find emotion is overrated, you're there to do your job and be done with it. Now I'm not saying emotion is bad, it helps for some people but for some it doesn't. For me it doesn't and it will always be that way.

Just keep up your good work and you'll be happy inside with yourself and what you've done...what else do you need?

3_sport_athlete
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Emotion gets people distracted. That's why I will start laughing for no reason, I get the other team pissed and then they start to screw up.

Rockwilder
06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Quiet in Basketball, Talker in Football. Whats really funny is when people try to show emotion but u can tell its fake ie on my football team there is a scrub D-lineman who is also an actor(does drama and stuff go figure) well anyways during a pregame warmup dude grabs me by the facemask and starts yelling and trying to hype himself up i just started laughing cuz he split time with another guy and wasnt even touchin the field till 3d quarter.

He also tries to be THE SPEACH GUY but is terrible in grade 11 during a playoff game right after the coaches stopped talking during halftime he walks up to the front like he has something important to say and starts off with the usual we can beat these guys yadda yadda yadda then during the middle of the speach he like "were gunna beat these guys, and were gunna knock em down and when they're down where gunna...(long pause) were gunna kick em. I was like WTF is that and just gave him a stoneface

TheCrime91
06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
If you don't show some kinda emotion you shouldn't be playing the game and thats real talk right there.

RaferAlston26
06-11-2007, 11:32 PM
My approach is show emotion when I've won. I like to think of myself as a silent assassin. I'm like that during video games, basketball, etc. I won't really comment if someone is trash talking me. I'll just be quiet and feed off the trash or emotion everyone else is showing. Inside me, I'm unleashing a lot of emotion. I think showing emotion sometimes can be bad. It really depends. I hate showing emotion then end up losing. makes me look like a fool.

sjr_1490
06-12-2007, 12:21 AM
He also tries to be THE SPEACH GUY but is terrible in grade 11 during a playoff game right after the coaches stopped talking during halftime he walks up to the front like he has something important to say and starts off with the usual we can beat these guys yadda yadda yadda then during the middle of the speach he like "were gunna beat these guys, and were gunna knock em down and when they're down where gunna...(long pause) were gunna kick em. I was like WTF is that and just gave him a stoneface

Haha, thats funny, we had a kid like that last year when I played football(he still plays). He started a speech about how the other team doesn't know who you are and how you're identified by your number and that was pretty much it. It really had no point to it, my friend and I just laughed. I'll never forget our assistant coach's halftime speech freshman year of football: " they're stickin it in your ass, no lubrication! and its goin in easyyyy boys!"

back to the topic, for me, its hard to not show emotion because im so passionate about soccer, but there's definately a difference between being cocky and showing some emotion, remember that. i think playing with some emotion is good, but not too much.

DottsBaller5
06-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I show a lot of emotion, yelling "LETS GO" and crap like that, or after a huge play, like yesterday in the clutch of a bball game, throwing a punch and a roar into the air. Just gets me pumped and into it.

.Smithers
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Showing emotion is what gets me into the game, causing me to play better. I don't really care what people think of me when I'm on the field because I'm a completely different person off the field.

DottsBaller5
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
^^^^^Yeah I agree with the on/off the court/field comparison there. And it's not like I'm being cocky or anything, or not showing class, or even looking like a dumb***. Just getting hyped up.

remix26
06-12-2007, 07:27 PM
once i get into it i talk. off the field..im mostly a quiet guy. i dont talk beacuse im a prick..i talk because it gets people fired up and makes me feel better when i let some things out

Web_Mixer
06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I did from time to time, if i got a really nice hit i would just tell them to stay down. Or i would laugh while i was running even if it was 20 to 30 yards before the touch down it makes them mad as can be which is good. Most people i played if you made them mad they would begin to screw up which in turn helped me and my team in the board ;).

NCTarheels321
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
For football, I'm the quieter type. I don't usually you know scream when I make a good catch or pick it off. For basketball, im the exact opposite. I'm so into and i'm talking trash all the time. I don't know why, but for me i guess it depends on the sport.

EdgarAllanPoe
06-13-2007, 04:36 PM
a guy on my team said he thought i needed to show more emotion. If i make an error or if i strikeout I don't act any different then when I hit a homerun. I just act as if their the same thing, i try to show no emotion either way.

Other guys on my team cuss and throw fits and throw their **** when they strikeout, or talk **** to the umpire when their called out. To me, that just looks stupid.

*Danny D*
06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Do you guys scream your heads off when you make a big shot or a big hit or something or do you just act like "hey I've been here before, I'll be here again" and just act like a true professional.

My family tells me I need to show emotion and have a fire lit under my ass but I say no that it wont effect how I play.

My dad said Kevin McHale for the Celtics never showed emotion and that he was awesome so I think that what works for one doesn't work for all and what works for me is the "Hey, I've been here before, I'll be here again" approach.

Thoughts on this?

i think its a little silly to ask other people what your demeanor should be on the field... thats for you to decide.

big_man201
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
i dont scream or anything just make facial expressions and when i swat som1 i give them a dirty look

joey1521
06-23-2007, 11:19 AM
is there a difference between emotion and taunting? I tend to look back at people after i get by them just to let them know they have no chance at all.

stout92
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
I usually don't show any emotion during a football game. I just do what I'm supposed to do(block), if we score, good for us, I'm not going to be the one jumping up and down like an idiot(unless it's a special occurance, like a gamewinning TD against our rivals), and if we don't score, or are losing, I'm not going to be the one trying to pump up the rest of the team.

I get ridiculed because of this. Basically, most of our coaches/players think that if you don't show any emotion then you don't care.. But I ignore that.

Paladin13
06-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm in the same position as you Stout92, during basketball I will make some go ahead shots and big rebounds and I'm just like ya i've done this before and i'll be doing this again. It's not like I just did somethin I'll never do again. All my friends/teamates say I don't care and I'm like obviously I F***ing care if I'm playing. I just ignore it like you though but sometimes I say that to whoever says it to me.

Shawdowfox
06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
i have a big smile on my face :)

LRG1
06-23-2007, 03:12 PM
the only emotion that should be shown on the football field is anger and agression.

as far as big hits, depends how i feel, if its a ****ty team were suppoused to beat than i usually try and keep it classy because ive had my share of ass whoopins, but if its syosset or hicksville or one of those other *** towns, its not holds barge.

Metallicats826
06-23-2007, 03:39 PM
for me at least, i'm all emotion pre-game and then once it starts, its hard to remember what happens. if a big hit happens, then i let everyone know. a little shake, maybe a finger to my mouth and a shake of my head, but nothing big. i'm a frequent "talker" though throughout the game. i let people know i saved their life when i run by after a play and i could have blindsided them on (usually the small secondary or a receiver standing next to a pile). BTW, i hate people who stand next to the pile. i make it my job to make it stop