PDA

View Full Version : i have a personal trainer and have gotten stronger but havent put on muscle mass

joe123456
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
hi i play baseball and want to put on muscle. ive been working out with an athletic trainer but havent put on any muscle. I would like to gain about 10-15 pounds by the end of the summer because i am really skinny but have strength. how do i go about this. go to a nutrionist? or do people make diets online? or any supplements? i know its about food but i dont know how much food and what food and how to put it all together.

John Prophet
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
whats the trainer say about it?

joe123456
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
he says its all about the strength and to forget the weight...which might be true...but you never see a baseball player 6'2 150 in the pros or even in d1 college ball, and i am definetely underweight.

sprasad03
06-11-2007, 11:16 AM
6'2 150, i was 6'0 170 at at ime and i thought i was underweight heh. ya man think of it like this, the taller u are and more lankier u are the more mass u can put it on. i have the arm length of someone 6'5-6'6 im about 6'1 tall. thats my arms have more potential to get bigger and stronger than people that cant. ya u want to put on if i were u 50 lbs no lie, u should be around 200lbs but you want to put on muscle so ur gonnahave to put on some fat and muscle at the same time,

John Prophet
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
start with around 200 grams of good protein per day as a minimum.

janssen_8_5
06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Go to the nutrition sectin of the forum. They can help you better.

RaferAlston26
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
What John Prophet said. You sound like a hard gainer. What's your current work out look like also? There are set rep/set volumes for hypertrophy. Chad Waterbury calls it the 24-50. Minimum of 24 and maximum of 50 for a rep/set volume to meet hypertrophy standards. As for muscle, it's pretty hard to gain 10lbs in 2 months. Usually you can build on a 1lb of muscle per week but even that is aiming high from what I've read. Most people realistically hit 0.5lbs per week. Anyways, post your workout so we can help out.

roman25
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
The trainer is right in repects to what he is saying since it is all about strength. i mean most baseball players fill out as they get older anyway. BUt i do know that that extra mass would help out alot to hit the ball harder and throw harder so i would talk to the people on here about the proper amount of calories to take in a day if you got a trainer can you afford a nutritionist

Smokes
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
To gain muscle mass you not only hae to work out hard, which it sounds like your doing, but you need to eat a ton. It sounds like your working hard enough as your making strength gains, but the other parts is you need to increase calorie intake but in a healthy way, not crap calories like fastfood or whatnot. Also, lots and lots of protein, between 1-2 grams/per pound your weigh. Hope this helps.

scott_donald
06-12-2007, 03:11 AM
eat more...

Smokes
06-12-2007, 03:43 AM
eat more...

Honestly, Scott here managed to say what I was saying in two words: EAT MORE. Thanks for simplifying it man ;)

scott_donald
06-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Honestly, Scott here managed to say what I was saying in two words: EAT MORE. Thanks for simplifying it man ;)

i am genius...

HoosierBoy
06-12-2007, 07:11 AM
start with around 200 grams of good protein per day as a minimum.

At 150?! Way too much.

TEmike81
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
At 150?! Way too much.

that isnt too much. thats right around 1.3 g per lb of body weight. most places on this site recommend 1-2 g/lb if youre trying to bulk. 200 is fine.

RaferAlston26
06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
At 150?! Way too much.

At 150, means he needs it. He's a hard gainer. He's going to need whatever he can get.

Mansewerz
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
i am genius...

u need teh sleep if u want to be a badybalder

HoosierBoy
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
that isnt too much. thats right around 1.3 g per lb of body weight. most places on this site recommend 1-2 g/lb if youre trying to bulk. 200 is fine.

Pretty much every reputable nutritionalist disagrees.

trey029
06-28-2007, 02:35 PM
There's no point in bulking, you need strong and efficent muscles. Quality is better than quantity, but just keep working out and trying different things. You'll start seeing results.

Superhuman7
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
hi i play baseball and want to put on muscle. ive been working out with an athletic trainer but havent put on any muscle. I would like to gain about 10-15 pounds by the end of the summer because i am really skinny but have strength. how do i go about this. go to a nutrionist? or do people make diets online? or any supplements? i know its about food but i dont know how much food and what food and how to put it all together.

Ok... first, if you've gotten stronger, you've added muscle mass. You may have simultaneously lost body fat, but you don't just magically gain the ability to push more weight without adding muscle.

Here's how you can gain WEIGHT, if that's what you're looking to do. Measure your calorie intake every day for a week and try to keep it constant (say 2500 per day to start). Weigh yourself every morning on an accurate scale and on an empty stomach. If you have gained weight at the end of that week, you're in a calorie surplus, meaning you're getting more than you need. If you've lost weight, you're in a deficit, meaning you need to eat more calories each day. If you stay the same, you found your maintenance level. Once you've figured out what you need to maintain, increase that by 100 or 200 calories and stay there until your weight plateaus again. When this happens, increase by another 100 or 200 calories. You can increase by more, but you'll add more body fat if you go crazy, which I avoid at all costs. Case in point: my workout partner increased his calorie intake by about 1000 and I increased mine by 200. I didn't gain much, if any, body fat, but I definitely gained muscle mass. He, by contrast, gained a ton of body fat, had to cut back down for a bodybuilding contest, and only gained the same 2 lbs of muscle as I did in the end. I hate dieting, so I never want to go that route.

Also, as others have said... monitor your protein intake. The commonly accepted amount for athletes is 1-1.5 grams per pound body weight per day. I weigh 235, but I'm trying to gain muscle, so I take in more like 275 to give myself room to grow. Some people will tell you that you need more... they're welcome to their opinion, but I like having functional kidneys. Make sure you drink plenty of water so your body can handle the high protein intake.

Superhuman7
06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Pretty much every reputable nutritionalist disagrees.

Most nutritionists also err heavily on the side of caution because they don't want a kidney failure on their record if somebody has prior and unknown health issues. I would say 200 grams/day should be the MAXIMUM, not minimum, but it's not as excessive as you make it sound. Most bodybuilders and athletes agree with the 1-1.5 grams per pound bodyweight figure.

That being said, there is no right answer for that question at this time... it's still hotly contested. I have personally governed myself by the 1g/lb rule and I have no health problems whatsoever. I've added almost 100 lbs of muscle to my frame in the past 9 years, I've lowered my bodyfat, and I've never touched anything except creatine and NO2. No steroids, no andro, just adequate protein, hard training, and attention to diet and sleep.