PDA

View Full Version : Why do people..

remix26
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Why do many people assume u gotta be very strong to make the big hits?

I hear and personally witness people saying.."hes strong as hell though..so hes the hardest hitter"

now i've never really been the strongest..still arent but i've always been a big hitter

people need to realize hitting hard in football doesnt have that much to do with how strong or big u are. i've seen guys in NFL get jacked up by smaller/weaker plays..same with NCAA and in HS.. Hitting hard depends on what position/angle u have, your mentality(you gotta want it .. comes natural imo..cant just say i wanna hit him hard) and also depends on speed. if a guy is barely going full speed compared to a guy full speed..the smaller guy with the speed has a good chance of giving the runner a big pop

ThrillHouse43
06-11-2007, 07:45 AM
ok. I've never heard anyone say that.

vision1
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Other than technique, it's mostly determined by strength, speed, and weight. Also, you can't be weak and fast at the same time.

HoosierBoy
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Other than technique, it's mostly determined by strength, speed, and weight. Also, you can't be weak and fast at the same time.

Weak how? Weight room weak? Because it's very possible to run fast without putting up "huge" numbers in the weight room.

Ben76
06-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Its about how explosive you are. Being explosive takes strength and speed.

vision1
06-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Weak how? Weight room weak? Because it's very possible to run fast without putting up "huge" numbers in the weight room.

Someone who is very fast, has to be relatively strong. So unless they weigh 100lbs, they will be strong.

janssen_8_5
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Someone who is very fast, has to be relatively strong. So unless they weigh 100lbs, they will be strong.

Some of our young recievers that can run 4.4-4.6 40's are very weak and get red shirted to put on strength and size so they can compete on the field. You can be very fast and very weak at the same time.

Anyway, one of the top hitters on my team weighs 180lbs and is a linebacker. Granted he only rotates in when the starter needs a quick break, he still is a top three hitter on at our university. He proves it everytime that he goes out on special teams and murders guys. Size is not the determining facto in hitting, it only helps.

vision1
06-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Some of our young recievers that can run 4.4-4.6 40's are very weak and get red shirted to put on strength and size so they can compete on the field. You can be very fast and very weak at the same time.

You must have a different idea of strength than I do. Of course they won't bench much, but there squat and deadlift will be high relative to there weight (assuming they have form down). Either that, or they aren't actually running 4.5s.

vision1
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Kelly Baggett may explain it better.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljumpfaq.html

"There are some skinny guys who can jump very well without being strong in the traditional sense, yet you won't find ANYONE with a 35 inch plus vertical jump who doesn't have a lot of "natural" strength. By natural strength what I mean is if you find someone with a naturally high vertical they always have a natural ability to create force. Even if they don't strength train you can take them in the gym and teach them how to squat and within a week they will be squatting over 1.5 times bodyweight. I have yet to see any exceptions to that rule. If you don't have that strength naturally you're gonna have to train to get it."

bernbabybern820
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Mass X acceleration?

vision1
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Mass X acceleration?

yes?

06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
F=MA
the laws of physics aren't on your side. If you are bigger, you will pack a harder hit. It may not look like a hard hit because of the angle taken or the angle at which the person being hit takes the hit, but as far as the force and the amount of impact it will be harder. Smaller people can compensate for this fact by being fast, and also using the right biomechanics to make the tackle.

HoosierBoy
06-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Kelly Baggett may explain it better.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljumpfaq.html

"There are some skinny guys who can jump very well without being strong in the traditional sense, yet you won't find ANYONE with a 35 inch plus vertical jump who doesn't have a lot of "natural" strength. By natural strength what I mean is if you find someone with a naturally high vertical they always have a natural ability to create force. Even if they don't strength train you can take them in the gym and teach them how to squat and within a week they will be squatting over 1.5 times bodyweight. I have yet to see any exceptions to that rule. If you don't have that strength naturally you're gonna have to train to get it."

I respectfully think that's bs.

janssen_8_5
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
You must have a different idea of strength than I do. Of course they won't bench much, but there squat and deadlift will be high relative to there weight (assuming they have form down). Either that, or they aren't actually running 4.5s.

My idea of weight room strength is a strong deadlift, squat, and bench; in that order. The best example of one of the players I was talking about is 6'5" 170lbs. He has decennt leg build, however his upper body is, well, lacking any muscle. This includes his back. He did work his butt of this spring and is now around 185lbs. He is still what I would consider weak, but his 40 time remained at 4.48.

I'm just presenting the facts of this and other examples I have seen. However, I do agree with you that the more strength a person has at a certain body weight, the more speed that person will essentially have.

bernbabybern820
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Mass X acceleration?

yes?

The answer to end the thread?

3_sport_athlete
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM

If your not fast and heavy you won't be able to make a huge hit.

vision1
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
The answer to end the thread?

I think so?

EDIT: anyways, to OP: If you're gaining strength pretty much two things could happen. the first thing, is you'd get faster because of an increase in relative strength. This would increase hitting ability. The other is you don't get faster, which pretty much means you're getting bigger (assuming other things like flexibility remain the same). This would also increase your hitting ability.

It's pretty much a win-win situation.

Michael Bao
06-11-2007, 09:26 PM
People with no fear and decent strength hits the strongest IMO. Why? Because they will go full speed and hit the opponent.

TheManchild
06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
a better measure of a collision would be the kinetic energy formula, not the F=ma... which is KE=1/2 mv^2 (one half of mass times the velocity squared). so if a car is traveling 4x as fast it collides with 16 times the ammount of force. speed kills boys

if a guy is 2x as heavy, and travels at same speed, he hits you 2x harder. if he is the same weight but 2x faster, he hits you 4x harder. i guess you have other things to take into account as well however, like strength and stuff but basically thats how it goes