PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Mayonnaise?

sfetaz
05-13-2002, 10:37 PM
According to hellmanns site, their real Mayonnaise contain 11 grams of fat, 1.5 of which saturated, no carbs, low sodium, low cholesterol. The main sources of fat are soybean oil and whole eggs.

I would say due to low cholesterol (5 mg per serving) that there is a very tiny amount of whole eggs.

So that makes the fat content mostly from the soybean oil. What in gods name is wrong with soybean oil?

callmejakob
05-13-2002, 11:05 PM
as far as i know, mayonnaise is ok? i mean, i think alot of people include it in keto diets (tuna or chicken salad)... i can definetly see where mayonnaise could be frowned upon if one was cutting or trying to lose weight... but other than that i dont know whats wrong with it?

as for soybean oil.... i dont know about that either... sorry bro..

anyone else?

97LT1
05-14-2002, 06:43 AM
Nothing to worry about the soy in the mayo.It's the fat. And like the bro said above, If you are dieting, it is a no no. But when trying to eat a healthy diet, it is good to try to cut down on any fat that isn't good for your body. Regular or lite, mayo is mayo.And that's a type of fat you can live without.

Tim
05-14-2002, 07:06 AM
If so little of the fat in mayonaisse is saturated, then it's not all that bad (olive oil, nuts, and salmon are a better source of EFAs though). It's definitely a hell of a lot better than butter (which really sucks) then.

97LT1
05-14-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Tim
If so little of the fat in mayonaisse is saturated, then it's not all that bad (olive oil, nuts, and salmon are a better source of EFAs though). It's definitely a hell of a lot better than butter (which really sucks) then. Since it seems I'm the resident "pimper" of EFAs on this board(lol)I will have to agree with you on this. It's just when dieting to lose weight, it was a rule of thumb to cut mayo out altogether. I'm gonna start checking into the EFAs in mayo.Any EFA is good,you know? Thanks for the new info Tim. Peace.

Bread N Butter
05-16-2002, 08:01 AM
unless you're drowning food in it. being so calorie dense per tbsp scares people.

Actually mayo is a poly fat, comparable to olive oil.
more saturated than flax/fish oil, but less saturated than beef

In moderation I think its pretty decent
Wouldn't be able to stomach canned tuna without it

Tim
05-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 97LT1
Since it seems I'm the resident "pimper" of EFAs on this board(lol)I will have to agree with you on this. It's just when dieting to lose weight, it was a rule of thumb to cut mayo out altogether. I'm gonna start checking into the EFAs in mayo.Any EFA is good,you know? Thanks for the new info Tim. Peace.
The thing is, I don't know about the EFA content of soybean oil (the pimary fat in mayonaisse), but I am almost positive that it isn't as good as olive oil or the fats in nuts and fish. However, as already mentioned, it is pretty good. So if you like mayo, there is no reason to avoid it as long as you stay in your calorie limit.

97LT1
05-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Tim

The thing is, I don't know about the EFA content of soybean oil (the pimary fat in mayonaisse), but I am almost positive that it isn't as good as olive oil or the fats in nuts and fish. However, as already mentioned, it is pretty good. So if you like mayo, there is no reason to avoid it as long as you stay in your calorie limit. Thanks alot Tim. I'm gonna start eating tuna now! I've been getting rid of the myths of dieting for about 2 years now, and you just helped me get rid of another. Peace.

4dojo
11-23-2012, 02:55 PM
There are a couple things wrong with traditional mayonnaise. The ingredients aren't really a big of a concern as the processing. Soybean oil is frequently a heavily processed oil. Extreme temperature turns healthy fats rancid, and can results a trans fatty acids. In addition, soybean oil is high in omega 6, which is an inflammatory fatty acid. Try oils with higher omega numbers like omega 9. Olive oil is loaded with omega 9.

According to hellmanns site, their real Mayonnaise contain 11 grams of fat, 1.5 of which saturated, no carbs, low sodium, low cholesterol. The main sources of fat are soybean oil and whole eggs.

I would say due to low cholesterol (5 mg per serving) that there is a very tiny amount of whole eggs.

So that makes the fat content mostly from the soybean oil. What in gods name is wrong with soybean oil?

Scoper50
11-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Nice 10 1/2 year bump

Tupperwolf
11-23-2012, 03:14 PM
The OP probably died sometime in the last 10 years from eating mayonnaise.

Benji Snap
11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
lol at all the mayonnaise threads

Chad31275
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice 10 1/2 year bumpSrs, why answer to a thread that is 10.5 yrs old!?!?

ezio6
01-08-2016, 07:56 AM
13 years bump, I should get a life