PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts + weight training

dtross
06-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Hello there. I'm an avid martial artist, and have been doing Taekwondo for eight years. I've started lifting weights recently; however, I'm slightly concerned that this will be detrimental to my TKD. Is there anyone out there with any tips/advice on how to make sure this does not happen?

Thanks for any help.

jwr324
06-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Do a mixture of rep ranges, and add some explosive lifting, maybe plyometrics or olympic lifts and you'll be fine.

IceMan13
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
As long as your concentrate on stretching before and after lifting and practicing martial arts, you should be ok. In martial arts, as you probably know, its not necessarily about how big your muscles are, but how efficiently you use them. Lift hard, train, and do cardio and I think you should be fine. That is just my experience, however.

HeWhoIsMetal
06-13-2007, 09:43 AM
They have a weight room where I go, and it certainly doesn't seem to harm the better guys. They emphasize endurance, though, instead of strength or hypertrophy, for obvious reasons.

roman25
06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
You should be fine in fact you'll be even better( hitting harder and faster) with the lifting only thing i have to say about it is make sure you keep balance in your muscles because when you get in balances thats when you become tight or stiff and when i mean balance i mean between opposing muscle groups so your biceps the opposing muscle is your triceps and the chest opposing muscle is your back and so fourth.

siersy
06-14-2007, 12:21 AM
i did tkd for 3 years and got to black belt but my soccer took over. weights in conjunction with tkd are a good thing however as was stated before its a good idea to focus on endurance for your sparing and and explosive power through using higher rep ranges, compound movements with full range of motion. if you gain extra mass you can get faster and stronger than your opponent however as fast twitch muscle fibers tire quicker it is harder to sustain a high level of endurance over say a 3 miniute sparring session. hence the higher rep range is more suiutable for you 10+