PDA

View Full Version : Stick with current workout or switch?

SuccessByDesign
06-08-2007, 09:36 PM
ok, heres my situation. just finishes my first year at college. i polevault for my track team. i got injured during outdoor season so ive just been messing around in the weight room for a while. im 6'5" and weigh abot 190 right now, my BF is about 5.5%.

my goals for the summer are to get stronger everything and more expolsive as well (for jumping power). i would also like to get faster so i can generate more speed down the runway.

right now i still havent been doing much running which i would like to start doing more of very soon.

right now my gym routine is this:

monday: 3 sets of this : (10 lunges, 15 pullups, 10 jumping squats and 25 pushups) doing those 4 excercises in a row with no rest

tuesday: shoulders

wednesday: chest

thursday: heavy leg day

friday: bis and tris

saturday: back and traps

sunday: rest

abs and obliques are done pretty much everyday

ive been doing a ton of research and do you think i switch to 5x5 lifting?(which is bench, squats & either deadlifts or rows 3 days a week)

RaferAlston26
06-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, splits aren't generally that great for athletes. Beauty about 5x5 is that it's a perfect set/rep scheme for maximal strength and hypertrophy. So while you're gaining strength, you will be gaining mass. It's much better then what you have right now.

Also, who measured your BF? You do not look 5.5%.

Beast Genetics
06-09-2007, 08:39 AM
ok, heres my situation. just finishes my first year at college. i polevault for my track team. i got injured during outdoor season so ive just been messing around in the weight room for a while. im 6'5" and weigh abot 190 right now, my BF is about 5.5%.

my goals for the summer are to get stronger everything and more expolsive as well (for jumping power). i would also like to get faster so i can generate more speed down the runway.

right now i still havent been doing much running which i would like to start doing more of very soon.

right now my gym routine is this:

monday: 3 sets of this : (10 lunges, 15 pullups, 10 jumping squats and 25 pushups) doing those 4 excercises in a row with no rest

tuesday: shoulders

wednesday: chest

thursday: heavy leg day

friday: bis and tris

saturday: back and traps

sunday: rest

abs and obliques are done pretty much everyday

ive been doing a ton of research and do you think i switch to 5x5 lifting?(which is bench, squats & either deadlifts or rows 3 days a week)

looks good but be sure to change your routine(in the gym like the order you do certain things) and maybe even swap days around your body will get used to routines.

olinerules87
06-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Yes, splits aren't generally that great for athletes. Beauty about 5x5 is that it's a perfect set/rep scheme for maximal strength and hypertrophy. So while you're gaining strength, you will be gaining mass. It's much better then what you have right now.

Also, who measured your BF? You do not look 5.5%.

X2

looks good but be sure to change your routine(in the gym like the order you do certain things) and maybe even swap days around your body will get used to routines.
no it isn't really good. It is a bodybuilding type routine not a sports routine

SuccessByDesign
06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
measured with a digital bf scale.

i kinda like the 5x5 too, and im gonna switch to it

however, i wanna be in the gym more than 3 days a week and i wanna do more excercises that just bench, rows deads and squats. would be ok to throw in some other excercises on tuesday thursday and saturday?