PDA

View Full Version : 5 meals a day?

Dj Pimpsta
06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
hi guys, well i know if you wanna bulk and gain muscle you need to eat at least 5 meals a day. but the problem is that with my job its near impossible to eat that many times, if im lucky i get to eat 3 times a day. i normally eat oats and my whey shake for brkfast, and chic/beef and rice or noodles, (i live in china) for lunch and dinner. to get the adequete amount of calories to bulk, should i just make my 3 meals bigger? thanks.

matthor
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
meal frequency doesnt really matter. If u can only manage 3 meals thats cool. AS long as u get 2 (+) meals, there is no data showing any negatives. The idff b/w 5 and 3 meals is so small it is completely irrelevant

kappakai
06-07-2007, 09:53 PM
dude dj i got the same problem. being at work everyday, i got breakfast, and then i'm stuck at the office with whatever mystery meat i get in my 40 cent lunch. and then dinner when i get home, which is when i gorge myself. seriously, i get home, have my pre-shake w/oats, creatine, work out, pwo shake w/oats, creatine again. by this point, i'm have food coming out of my ears. dinner. then before bed, two eggs, some milk, or CC. so i spend half the day half hungry, and the rest of it stuffing my face.

and i still manage to wake up starving.

but i think i got it figured out this week. i boiled up some eggs and stuck them in the fridge, and then made some tuna salad. i can bring the eggs to work as well as the tuna salad. i also have a jar of peanut butter at my desk all the time. when i get bored, i have a tablespoon or three.

i haven't counted out the calories, today is my first journal day, but i'm definitely eating more than i used to. and i think in about 6 weeks my weight has gone from 73 to about 80 kgs.

get some bao's or zongzi or cook some simple stuff up at home and bring it to work and you should be ok.

Fatal82
06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
meal frequency doesnt really matter. If u can only manage 3 meals thats cool. AS long as u get 2 (+) meals, there is no data showing any negatives. The idff b/w 5 and 3 meals is so small it is completely irrelevant

Im curious. Wouldnt eating a very large meal just put most of it to waste? in other words, say you fill a 20 gallon car with 50 gallons of gas, the excess gas will simply go to waste. For our bodies, wouldnt we just sh*t it out or worse, have it stored as fat?

I ask this cause im a strong believer of the 6-10 meals a day, simply so our bodies have adiquitte time to digest what it is fed to it and not have it be put to waste or stored as fat.

David17
06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
10 meals a day? lol thats crazy dude..

Fatal82
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
10 meals a day? lol thats crazy dude..

Technically, I have 9 a day. Their not big meals though. Like a serving of optimum whey with skim milk, i consider that a meal.

I just dont understand why people have these gigantic size meals. I love when guys have a 75g protein shake, yet they dont realize the body can only digest about 30g of protein a hour (somewhere around that number). The rest gets stored as fat or ****ted out.

So i figure, 9 meals a day, averageing about 300 calories a meal, which is perfectly reasonable and its something your body can digest and wont put to waste aka **** out :)

Dj Pimpsta
06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
dude dj i got the same problem. being at work everyday, i got breakfast, and then i'm stuck at the office with whatever mystery meat i get in my 40 cent lunch. and then dinner when i get home, which is when i gorge myself. seriously, i get home, have my pre-shake w/oats, creatine, work out, pwo shake w/oats, creatine again. by this point, i'm have food coming out of my ears. dinner. then before bed, two eggs, some milk, or CC. so i spend half the day half hungry, and the rest of it stuffing my face.

and i still manage to wake up starving.

but i think i got it figured out this week. i boiled up some eggs and stuck them in the fridge, and then made some tuna salad. i can bring the eggs to work as well as the tuna salad. i also have a jar of peanut butter at my desk all the time. when i get bored, i have a tablespoon or three.

i haven't counted out the calories, today is my first journal day, but i'm definitely eating more than i used to. and i think in about 6 weeks my weight has gone from 73 to about 80 kgs.

get some bao's or zongzi or cook some simple stuff up at home and bring it to work and you should be ok.

hey kap fancy meeting you ere! lol. you know the problem is not about the food, i work in a hotel, so getting food is easy, its about finding the time to eat my 5-6 meals! lol. i also do the p.butter thing love the stuff but not to sure exactly healthy it is. hey check out the other thread about the chinese protein. ciao.

Dj Pimpsta
06-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Im curious. Wouldnt eating a very large meal just put most of it to waste? in other words, say you fill a 20 gallon car with 50 gallons of gas, the excess gas will simply go to waste. For our bodies, wouldnt we just sh*t it out or worse, have it stored as fat?

I ask this cause im a strong believer of the 6-10 meals a day, simply so our bodies have adiquitte time to digest what it is fed to it and not have it be put to waste or stored as fat.

hey mat, im also a firm believer in the 5-6 meal thing, although 9 meals could be quite much! lol, but the problem is not having enough time in the day to have all of them. so having said this what would you suggest i could do so that i wouldnt put any food to waste? thanks.

kappakai
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
hey kap fancy meeting you ere! lol. you know the problem is not about the food, i work in a hotel, so getting food is easy, its about finding the time to eat my 5-6 meals! lol. i also do the p.butter thing love the stuff but not to sure exactly healthy it is. hey check out the other thread about the chinese protein. ciao.

well, the way i see it, if you can get 3 solids, and 2 kinda "cheater" meals you'd be ok. i mean, i consider a couple of tablespoons of pb a cheater meal. plus, i snack on stuff through the day. it can be quick, doesn't have to be a formal sit down and eat meal. even a bao or two.

and yah, i saw the thread about the chinese protein. i'm going to check it out this weekend, could probably incorporate it into my cooking or something, but i don't think i can do a shake with that stuff. i'm having a hard enough time stomaching that gnc whey i got. managed to get that recipe right finally, two scoops, 1 cup of ground oats and a splash of milk, and just crunch it down. it's the least repulsive way of doing it. can't imagine taking the chinese protein, which you just KNOW is panda breast milk. LOL.

matthor
06-08-2007, 02:19 AM
bigger meals just take longer to digest - it still gets digested. There may be some minor minor tiny amount not completely absorbed due to digestive enzymes deregulating in the absence of food for extended periods - but this is pretty void for 3 meals. There is no study's that show any benefit to more meals in a day. It is all abotu preference and what works for your schedule.

passionate
06-08-2007, 02:30 AM
bigger meals just take longer to digest - it still gets digested. There may be some minor minor tiny amount not completely absorbed due to digestive enzymes deregulating in the absence of food for extended periods - but this is pretty void for 3 meals. There is no study's that show any benefit to more meals in a day. It is all abotu preference and what works for your schedule.

Weeeeerrrd ;). I normally eat about 5-6 meals weekdays and 3-4 meals on the weekends!
It's the total calorie intake that matters - if you get 750 kcals with every meal 4 times a day or 500 kcals with every meal 6 times a day doesn't really matter. Your body gets used to anything :)! Find what works best for YOU!

Dj Pimpsta
06-11-2007, 12:58 AM
thanks guys cos im also on a bulking diet so my meals are large, but if its ok then im feeling quite relieved! thanks.

The Solution
06-11-2007, 03:44 AM
why dont u just bring little things along with you to snack on to make complete meals

its simple to break up meals especially working in an office

how about a whey shake and a piece of fruit??

a few hard boiled eggs and a granola bar?

eat some trail mix crunch and have a shake?

a shake and some almonds or some peanut butter

easy things u can carry around with you and leave around the desk

all u need to do is pack up some whey or almonds in a bagging and stuff it in ur pocket

bring the hard boiled eggs in a small container and store it in a fridge.. or bring along some tupperware and pull it out and eat while ur working @ ur desk

i work 13 hour days and i couldn't survive without my tupperware

as for eating smaller meals it just helps to speed up ur metabolism

and as for only getting 30g of protein a meal is bull****.. it all depends on the weight of the person.. ur telling me a 250 lb person can only digest 30lbs of protein in a meal? try having to have like 8 meals a day.. it would literally take up that persons whole schedule

Dj Pimpsta
06-11-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks bro, good info, def gonna try and do the tupperware thing! haha. so then as long as im gettin in at least 3 solid meals and some snacks in between ill be fine then hey?