PDA

View Full Version : Dead lift question

SEADRA
07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
I did a set of deadlifts yesterday. I used the proper technique I saw in M & Fit hers. Today my whole upper back hurts. Is that normal? I thought it was a lower back excersice. Could I of possibly lifted to heavy?

Thanks

oStarGazerXVII
07-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Your upper back does have to handle a portion of the load, especially in the beginning part of the lift. However, i'd never experienced upper back soreness instead of lower back; this is probably in part because I trained upper back more extensively before i started deadlifts. If you'd ask for a gut feeling, I'd say to get someone to double check your technique for you; inappropriate back arching, even slightly, can lead to improper form and excessive strain.

Had you ever performed any kind of deadlifts before, and what is your prior back training like?

halo518
07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I haven't had upper back pain either, but it's funny you posted this today...

I wanted to do deadlifts today also, but the last time I did them, I felt it completely in my lower back and not at ALL in my legs. So I did just what stargazer suggested ... I just went up to one of the trainers and asked him to check my form. Turns out I was bending my legs too much and bowing (?) my back too much (instead of keeping it straight or slightly arched). Boy did I feel it in my legs today once I fixed my form :)

bscrusher
07-27-2004, 07:56 PM
seadra, as long as this pain you mention is in the nature of muscle soreness rather than the sharp pain of injury, you are most likely doing the dls correctly.