PDA

View Full Version : The Mojo Log

Mojo72
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I've decided to start a fat loss log for myself. It's clear to me how important it is to keep a journal. I've kept them in the past on other areas in my life but have never done so with my health. Well the time has come.

I've really let myself slide in the health dept. the past 4 years of my life. In fact, I've completely let myself go, put on 80lbs. and have been feeling like absolute crap for the longest time now. I've been so out of tune with any kind of healthy eating habits or physical activity that my body just broke down on me. I just turned 35 and woke up feeling 70. Aches, pains, soreness, bloated etc... the works. It gave me quite a scare.

I've made attempts over the past few years to diet and workout but they've always wound up being short lived. I believe 7 weeks is the longest I had gone until I folded. I now realize that this is not an impulse or a quick fix, this is a lifestyle change; by choice. I'm ready for the change and challenge.

I started one week ago and have been eating super clean all week. My body, however, is in need of the kinks being worked out of it. By stretching and riding the stationary bike, I'm coming along. My legs are about half way there so my activity has been limited to the stationary bike and light upper body dumbbell workouts. I have no problem with this as I feel 1000x better then I did this time last week.

I plan on writing my foods and workouts each evening in this log so I can reflect back on my days, weeks and months accomplishments as well as never forgetting where I'll never return to.

I started this quest on June 1st and weighed in at 258 lbs. It's tough posting the photo I have.. but again, I needed to for my own reasons. I will only weigh myself on the 1st of each month and will post an updated photo as well. With a whole lot of hard work and dedication, I know I can safely reach my goal of an 80 lb. weight loss by Feb 2008.

The support I've received from many of you thus far has been amazing and I'm extremely grateful to have this opportunity and to meet you guys. Thanks a million!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mojo72
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Daily Supplements: Multi Vitamin, Fish/Flax gel tabs, Vitamin C, Whey

Meal 1: 2 cups of coffee, skim milk, oats

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg / 3 whites, salsa, 2 slices of Flax toast, Whey Protein Shake

Meal 3: Grilled chicken sand w/spinach, 2 slices of Flax toast, natty apple sauce, tbsp natty peanut butter

Meal 4: Tuna salad (w/ just a bit of light Hellman's mayo) over bed of romaine w/ assort. veggies

Meal 5: Chicken Fried Rice - chicken, brown rice, one scrambled egg, mushrooms, onion, celery, chicken broth, tbsp. olive oil., s&p to taste - KILLER!

Meal 6: 1% cottage cheese, Whey Protein Shake

Workout:

Stationary Bike

Dumbbells - Back & Biceps

*My legs are still very sore and cramped- trying to work this out with heat, stretching and riding the bike. Overall, I had a nice successful day!

skuZZitude
06-07-2007, 04:40 PM
hey bud keep up the good work. Your eating looks on track and just keep it up. The first week is the hardest after that it gets easier as you know. I'm in the same boat.. good to see you taking it slow I think 10lbs a month is reasonable.

natescope
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
my only advice is to walk everywhere that's within walking distance

Mojo72
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

I'd like to walk everywhere I could but right now my legs are in bad shape. My left thigh in particular, tightens up so badly I have to take a break from the front door to the mailbox. It sux.

It's better then it was last week though. I've been stretching, riding the stationary bike and applying heat as often as possible. With any luck, I'll be able to start walking regularly in another week or so.

Mojo72
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg + 4 white & mushroom omelet, 2 slices of whole grain toast w/palmer natty no-sugar spread, slice of watermelon, whey protein shake

Meal 3: Grilled chicken sand w/spinach leaves & tomato on whole grain toast, tbsp natty pb

Meal 4: Alaskan King Crab Legs, brown rice, string beans, tbsp. olive oil

Meal 5: Grilled chicken, lg. tossed salad, tbsp. olive oil & vinigar

Meal 6: 1% cottage cheese, whey protein shake

Workout:

Stationary bike

Dumbbell - Shoulders

I stepped it up to two sets + 5lbs. today to start my 2nd week. The burn feels awesome!

*Great day today. My legs are feeling much better then yesterday (wet heat & stretching are doing the trick) and I increased the bike 5 mins. as well. If all goes well, I plan on incorporating a daily walk into my routine on monday even if it's a quarter mile at a time.

skuZZitude
06-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg + 4 white & mushroom omelet, 2 slices of whole grain toast w/palmer natty no-sugar spread, slice of watermelon, whey protein shake

Meal 3: Grilled chicken sand w/spinach leaves & tomato on whole grain toast, tbsp natty pb

Meal 4: Alaskan King Crab Legs, brown rice, string beans, tbsp. olive oil

Meal 5: Grilled chicken, lg. tossed salad, tbsp. olive oil & vinigar

Workout:

Stationary bike

Dumbbell - Shoulders

I stepped it up to two sets + 5lbs. today to start my 2nd week. The burn feels awesome!

*Great day today. My legs are feeling much better then yesterday (wet heat & stretching are doing the trick) and I increased the bike 5 mins. as well. If all goes well, I plan on incorporating a daily walk into my routine on monday even if it's a quarter mile at a time.

Looking GREAT bud. That diet is very solid with lots of good foods.

And..... Alaskan king crab? That is awesome!

Mojo72
06-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Looking GREAT bud. That diet is very solid with lots of good foods.

And..... Alaskan king crab? That is awesome!

Yeah, I treated myself to the AKC Legs for a solid week well done :D

They just came in the local market and I happened to be there at just the right time. They were stellar!

Mojo72
06-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Meal 1: 2 cups of coffee, skim milk, oats, natty apple sauce

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg + 3 whites, 2 slices of whole grain toast w/ sugar-free fruit spread, whey protein shake

Meal 3: Tuna wrapped in romaine leaves, 2 slices of whole grain bread w/ 1 tbsp. of natty pb & fruit spread

Meal 4: Top round steak strips, brown rice, mushrooms, onion & 1 tbsp. of olive oil

Meal 5: Spinach salad w/ 1 hard boiled egg, red onion, mushrooms 1 tbsp. olive oil & vinegar

Workout:

Stationary bike

Dumbbells - chest / triceps / forearms

*Today was another outstanding day. I had my best workout to date and my efforts are showing in both the way I feel and in the mirror. I couldn't ask for anything more.

That wraps up this week and I'm very pleased with what I've accomplished. I'm going to take the day off from working out tomorrow but still maintain my clean eating.

phillepe
06-09-2007, 06:22 PM
the diet looks very clean!

Mojo72
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg + 3 whites, salsa, 2 slices of whole grain toast, whey protein shake

Meal 3: Can of tuna, 2 tbsp. natty pb & natty sugar-free spread on 2 slice of whole grain bread

Meal 4: Top round steak, brown rice, string beans, 1 tbsp. olive oil

Meal 5: Grilled chicken, Romaine salad w/ assort. veggies, 1 tbsp. olive oil & vinegar

Workout:

20 mins moderate cardio

Dumbbells - Back & Biceps / 2 sets + 5 lbs.

*Today started off better then it wound up. I was feeling good this morning and had a great workout. I also kept strict with my diet.. so it was a success in that sense.

My head just isn't in the game right now. I have to remind myself that this is a lifestyle change by my choice and not any type of quick fix. I guess I'm feeling a little disturbed with the situation I put myself in and now having to shed all this weight. I don't like to be negged out like this but I'm only human and we are alowed to get angry and feel down from time to time.. just learn from it and make the changes. This is what I keep having to reminding myself.

It does motivate me to see all the people on here who have had tremendous success in losing a lot more weight then I aim to. You guys kick ass! It also motivates me to all the people in here who have developed and maintain their top condition.

Just helps to write things out sometimes... after all, this is my friggin' journal.

On a good note, my body has just about turned around and for the first time in over two weeks, I was nearly pain free today. I obviously owe this to the workouts and diet I've kept over the past week and a half.

I'm done.... tomorrows another day. Let's make it a good one!

cawiau
06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Just passing by.

You seemed to have everything under control.
So keep up the great work.

heathershubby
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
and nice diet keep at it man and you are going to see great results. You have to just push through the days when your head is not in it it will come back.

repped

Mojo72
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Many thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it! :)

Be-Be
06-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Thought I'd stop by and say "hi".

You have a long road ahead of you but you've done a great of getting organized. You've thought out the details and accepted that it's not going to be easy. The good news is that you're starting to feel the results. The first few weeks are the hardest. I like the way that you've found healthy "cheat" meals to reward yourself with.

I have a few questions.

How many calories are you eating?
What is your lifting plan?
What's wrong with your thigh? Is it an on-going issue or is it just "starting to work out" pain?
Do you use a heart monitor? What is your hearrate during cardio? If you don't, what is your perceived effort? Are you out of breath? Gasping? Easily able to hold a conversation? How long is your cardio?

A journal is a great tool but it also comes with pressure. There will be days when you use it to vent, other days when you use it to brag. And there will be days when you just don't want to post an entry. The same feelings that you'll have toward exercise and healthy eating, in fact.

You goals are ambitious. Doable on paper but pretty darn challenging in real life. And you can't forget real life - it will interfer constantly and you need to develop skills to deal with it. That's how you develop the lifelong habits to stay fit and lean.

Also, don't forget the head. You need to deal with the reasons why you overeat. Boredom? Anger? Frustration? Celebrating? Most people who become obese eat for reasons other than hunger so you need to figure out new strategies for dealing with "trigger" situations.

Remember that all of this is to give you a better life - not to seperate you from life.

And, if in 7 weeks or whenever, you need a break - take it with the knowledge that it is a planned break. This is actually very important part of the learning process. You'll find that the "bad" foods taste really good but aren't really satisfing. You'll find the it feel good to not have to worry about exercise but your body misses it. Even lapses aren't a bad thing - everything "bad" that happens on your journey is a learning experience. Hopefully you won't have as many learning experiences as some but that's dependent on you. Be realistic. Hold yourself accountable. Ask for help when you need it. Celebrate the positive and let go of the negative.

I'd wish you luck but you don't need. Keep focused on what you want and it will happen in it's own time. :)

Mojo72
06-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Thought I'd stop by and say "hi".

You have a long road ahead of you but you've done a great of getting organized. You've thought out the details and accepted that it's not going to be easy. The good news is that you're starting to feel the results. The first few weeks are the hardest. I like the way that you've found healthy "cheat" meals to reward yourself with.

I have a few questions.

How many calories are you eating?
What is your lifting plan?
What's wrong with your thigh? Is it an on-going issue or is it just "starting to work out" pain?
Do you use a heart monitor? What is your hearrate during cardio? If you don't, what is your perceived effort? Are you out of breath? Gasping? Easily able to hold a conversation? How long is your cardio?

A journal is a great tool but it also comes with pressure. There will be days when you use it to vent, other days when you use it to brag. And there will be days when you just don't want to post an entry. The same feelings that you'll have toward exercise and healthy eating, in fact.

You goals are ambitious. Doable on paper but pretty darn challenging in real life. And you can't forget real life - it will interfer constantly and you need to develop skills to deal with it. That's how you develop the lifelong habits to stay fit and lean.

Also, don't forget the head. You need to deal with the reasons why you overeat. Boredom? Anger? Frustration? Celebrating? Most people who become obese eat for reasons other than hunger so you need to figure out new strategies for dealing with "trigger" situations.

Remember that all of this is to give you a better life - not to seperate you from life.

And, if in 7 weeks or whenever, you need a break - take it with the knowledge that it is a planned break. This is actually very important part of the learning process. You'll find that the "bad" foods taste really good but aren't really satisfing. You'll find the it feel good to not have to worry about exercise but your body misses it. Even lapses aren't a bad thing - everything "bad" that happens on your journey is a learning experience. Hopefully you won't have as many learning experiences as some but that's dependent on you. Be realistic. Hold yourself accountable. Ask for help when you need it. Celebrate the positive and let go of the negative.

I'd wish you luck but you don't need. Keep focused on what you want and it will happen in it's own time. :)

Hi Be-Be,

Thanks for your post, compliments and questions.

I don't count calories. I realize the importance of this for some and am not knocking it at all. If I were planning on competing or had other specific goals in store, then sure, I'd be counting every last one. For me this is a lifestyle change and a way for me to learn healthy habits. I don't consider weighing 4oz. of broc**** every 3 hrs. for a lifetime a healthy habit. I know what a portion of protein, carbs and fats look like. As you can see by my food posts, I keep every meal as well balanced as possible giving me roughly a 40/40/20 meal @ apporx. 400 cals per X 6 for a total of approx. 2400 calories a day. I am completely satisfied with this method and see steady results using it.

My lifting plan will change as I move along. Right now, I'm doing upper body strength training using dumbbells. I lift for approx. 30 mins per day / 6 days per week hitting each group 2x. I have increases my sets and weights over the past two weeks and have been having strong improvements using this method as well.

I work behind a desk all day and am ashamed to say I've had relatively no physical activity for the past 5 years of my life. What brought me to make this change in my life was waking up completely cramped and sore a few weeks ago. This was quite a scare for me being I just turned 35 and haven't lived half my life yet. I realized I needed desperately to make this change. My worst pains were in my neck/shoulders and my legs. After a week and a half of stretching and starting with very light exercising, my upper body pains were gone. I'm am now proud to say that today was the first day in almost 3 weeks that I didn't take any pain relief and my legs are 99% of the way there. The stiffness in my left thigh was the last to go.

My cardio sessions are moderate for about 20 minutes. When I'm on the stationary bike I keep it at approx. 70% of my MHR which is a good workout for me at this point. I need a few when I'm through to catch my breath... but no, I'm not about to keel over. I have worked up to this 20 mins over the past 2 weeks. Again, I was in severe pain when I began. When I switch it up and do 20 mins of of floor exercises, I have no idea where my heart rate is at but I do know that I exert more energy then when I ride the bike. This, as well as my lifting, will increase as both time and my body permits.

I can't kid myself and try to come up for excuses as to why I put myself in the condition I had. My weight gain was absolutely emotional. A mix between boredom and stress. IMO, unless medical, all people who's weight gain has brought them to obese measures is emotionally related. Why else would someone eat past being full if they weren't seeking comfort?

I have accepted full responsibility for myself and am taking this time to learn not only a healthy lifestyle change but to learn a good part of myself. I consider what happened to me being rock bottom. If I would of picked up a drink 5 years ago instead of the food I'd be a full blown drunk but I didn't... I picked up over eating instead and as a result I'm 80 lbs. heavier then I want to be.

I'm glad I'm keeping this daily health journal for a number of reasons. Like you said, it allows us to vent, brag, keep on track etc... Perhaps someone in need will come across it someday and will read something that will help them help themselves. Perhaps that person will be me. :)

Be-Be
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
You have thought it through. The only thing I can nit-pick is that you aren't doing lower body or core exercises.

I've been through this with many overweight guys (and you know one of them) and I know you won't change your mind about it but, without exception, every guy has eventually regretted that decision because of the complications that developed because of it.

Currently I am working with a guy who has lost 80 pounds but did very little core or leg work. He's now having to see a physical therapist and chiropracter to deal with the reprecussions. Worse, he was unable to workout for several months and is now only starting to be able to be active again. He has to do of mostly legs and core and may be able to start upper body next month. These are problems and expenses that would have been real easy to avoid if he had only had a balanced full-body workout to begin with.

Other than that, good job. You're on track and doing everything right.

Mojo72
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks again for your vote of confidence BE-BE.

Also, for the tip and importance of a full body workout. This is definitely my intention. I have no desire to not be proportioned or even worse, have drastic health issues setting me back.

My workouts are what they are at the moment due to me having to workout the initial pains and stiffness from the start. I intend on getting gym membership and working closely with a qualified personal trainer on a balanced full-body workout.

Be-Be
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Hmmm... I happen to know of a qualified personal trainer who will soon be announcing online training services... Maybe with steep discounts for bb.com members... http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/winking0071.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Seriously, though, if you are new to lifting, find a trainer who is obsessed with correct form and has experience with an obese (sorry) clientelle. If you use bad form at this point, with the extra weight, you are in danger of seriously hurting yourself.

But I'm sure you already thought of that since you have thoroughly thought out everything else. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy0001.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Mojo72
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Ha, ha, ha....

Well, when you begin offering this service, let me know. I'm a click away.

.... and, take it easy on using the word "obese" with potential clients. That'd be like a psychiatrist saying, "Hi mojo, I'm Dr. X and I specialize in helping people who are completely out of their minds. Pleased to meet you :D".

J/K, you've been a tremendous help already ;)

Mojo72
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Workout

Meal 2: 1 egg + 3 whites, 2 slices of whole grain toast w/ sugar-free fruit spread, whey protein shake

Meal 3: Grilled chicken, brown rice, salsa, 1 tbsp. olive oil, string beans

Meal 4: Grilled Shrimp & Veggie Shish-ka-bobs, tbsp. olive oil, small salad

Meal 5: Bowl of Top Round Beef & Barley soup, 1 tbsp. natty pb

Workout:

Stationary Bike / 20 mins

Dumbbells - Shoulders

*I had a great shoulder workout and ate real good. My legs are just about 100% and I'm going to start walking tomorrow in the eve on the beach. The sand will be a bit easier on the bones & and my dog loves to run on the beach :)

Mojo72
06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm going to pass on posting my exact meals everyday. I eat similar foods daily and it's becoming a tedious task. Instead, I'm going to post my thoughts on my day; my workout and any new recipes I tried and liked.

I've been rather fatigued lately from this new program so I'm considering testing out a 3 day on 1 day off workout routine to see if the recharge day does me any good. I will, of course, continue to eat super clean like I have been even on my off days.

Although I was tired today I did put in a killer workout this morning. 40 mins lifting: Chest / tri / forearms & 20 mins cardio. I'm luvin' the burn :)

I made cottage cheese pancakes for one of my meals today and let me tell ya... they are amazing.

Dig:

2 eggs
1/2 cup cc
1/4 cup oats
1 tbsp. olive oil
pinch of salt

Mix into a batter, spoon into a on a non-stick/lightly oiled pan and brown both sides. Top with some sugar-free syrup.
------------------

Aside from being tired, I had an awesome day today!

Be-Be
06-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Good idea on posting the more interesting stuff. :)

The low energy level could be due to your macros. Most people need 55- 60% carbs especially if they are active. When you get your body composition closer 15-20%, the 40/40/20 diet may be more appropriate.

Mojo72
06-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks again for the tips Be-Be. I'm going to take your advice and up my carbs for a while. This is probably one of the greatest contributing factors to my fatigue.

I took the day off from lifting and cardio yesterday and feel much better from the recharge. I'm also going to experiment with moderate cardio in the am and lifting in the early eve starting today. I think spacing the two will help me even further and not deplete all my energy for the day.

Mojo72
06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Today is my two week mark and I got on the scale. I lost 6 lbs. total and although I thought I would be down further due to my initial water loss from the start I'm convinced this was mostly, if not all, pure fat loss. I've been drinking a gallon of water per day and certainly eating enough. I've also increased my strength from my lifting so I don't think there's any chance of muscle depletion.

Overall... I'm down 6 lbs., completely pain free and in a much better place then I was this time two weeks ago. I consider this to be a great success!

Be-Be
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Awesome, mojo. Good job. Keep doing exactly what you're doing now since you are getting perfect results from it.

As far as losing water weight, some people's muscles actually retain water when they start exercising - particularly lifting - while the muscle adapt to the greater demand on them.

Not too much longer and your clothes should start feeling looser.

Mojo72
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
It's been nearly 9 months since I've logged into this forum and my journal. I'm terribly ashamed but feel the need to come clean with myself and start over.

I've gained 40 lbs. since I've been here last and have ballooned up to nearly 300 lbs. I just don't know what to say besides I gave up, fell off the wagon and have been eating out of control for the past 9 months. Purely out of emotion.

I accept full responsibility for where I'm at and what I've done. I know I have an even longer way to go at this point and I'm ready to accept this personal challenge.

therealmark
03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
The hardest thing is getting back on track when you've become derailed. Good on ya for taking the first step. I find that every time I do that I become closer to who I want to become.

M.