PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for a friend..please

mightymike83
07-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi, im trying to help my friend who is a GIRL lose some weight. I just don't have the knowledge of what she should eat. I told her the excersies, just i need help with her diet.

shes 5'5 and she weighs 133lbs

i want to get her down to 125lbs..i know it'll take some time, but just need help with a diet plan for her

any advice and tips will help me out a great deal. thanks!

Matadon
07-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Guys and girls work pretty much the same way as far as losing weight goes; I'm helping a friend of mine, who is also a girl, drop a lot of weight -- I've helped her get from 5'3" and 185 (that's not a typo) to 5'3" and 153 so far, and she's set on getting to 125. She's always been a 'big girl', and is tickled that she is continuously getting smaller and smaller.

Have her stick with the 40/40/20, show her how to count calories and plan her meals out, and make sure she exercises! Everything you can do diet-wise is useless unless she's hitting the cardio and weights three days a week each; all she'll do is lose muscle mass if she doesn't work out, and that will make losing fat even harder.

This is the hardest thing I've noticed when trying to help girls lose weight -- those that are really motivated do a good job, but most of the women I know who want to drop some pounds aren't willing to work for it; my ex-girlfriend went from 5'3" and 105 to 5'3" and 140 while we were dating, ate nothing but crap, and 'exercised' a half-hour a day (she did some crunchies and walked around a little), and nothing I did could change the fact that she wasn't willing to make an effort to stay in shape.

If your friend is really motivated, she'll do just fine.

unflabby
07-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Get her the book Body for Life. That is a good starting point. Especially with nutrition. There are more advanced nutrition techniques in Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle. Both are great books and will help! Good luck!

zackmurphy
07-27-2004, 09:04 AM
With a girl who's already so close to her goal, she can simply amp up her cardio a little, and drop a few calories and get there.

As far as a long-term healthy diet, she doesn't need a BB'ing high protein diet (most BB'ers don't either), so a nice low-GI carb based diet, about 50% of her total calories, and about 30% from protein would be fine. Slightly high, if anything, but it's a starting point.

She can get Nancy Clark's nutrition book "Sports NUtrition" (?). Excellent book, good basic info, and very plainly written, and it's by a girl. But it's good.

Body for Life is fine, Venuto's eBook is very good (forget the title). Anything, really, to help her understand the essential role of good carbohydrates, and how to know how much to eat, and when.

Or, she can just add an extra 10 minutes to every cardio session. That works, too.