PDA

View Full Version : Keto for computer geeks

Khafra
11-27-2001, 07:29 AM
I want to try a ketogenic diet, but since I'm a professional computer geek, I can't risk losing significant brainpower for 2 weeks while I adjust.

I know we have lots of nutritional and supplemental geniuses out there, can somebody design a method, routine, supplement, or other aid to keep the brain going full speed while doing a ketogenic diet?

Or, if not, is it possible to train your body to use ketones, say, during an early morning cardio workout, and carbs the rest of the day?

Dorian
11-27-2001, 08:09 AM
there are few ways to do this.... the firt is to use a stimulant such as power drive it contains neuro transmitter formula.there are also some things to take that can help to overcome the brain fog.
second you could opt for a carb and protien meal only in the a.m. until say noon. then from then on you could do a straight keto.

Original Poster
11-27-2001, 10:26 AM
I take an ECA stack when on keto diet. For me anyway, the ECA more than makes up for the loss of carbs, at least during work hrs. I AM extremely sharp and productive when on an ECA stack. My focus is so intense, I am actually better at my job. The one thing I do find, is I need a little extra sleep and have to tone down my workouts a bit when on a keto diet

I know a few other guys who use st. Johns wort and other so called brain enhancer supps, which for me don;t seem to work.

Dorian, I would be careful how many carbs period when trying to maintain a state of ketosis. To many carbs = loss of ketosis.

Dorian
11-27-2001, 01:45 PM
Chi I realize that about carbs, but if focus is a problem he can do a form of this diet. I never said he will enter ketosis but he should lose some fat with it.
Keto diets ... hell I wrote the ****in book...:)

Khafra
11-27-2001, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I don't really need to get actual clinical ketosis, I guess, as long as my body starts burning more ketones than I consume in dietary fat. If that carb-in-the morning, ketogenic after noon will work, even with early morning cardio (that's something I can't change) that's nifty.

Dorian
11-27-2001, 07:51 PM
just make sure you keep the ratios correct. don't just pig out in the a.m. do it right and you should be fine.

Original Poster
11-28-2001, 04:42 AM
Dorian,
I stand corrected. I just thought that he was going to go full keto.
I for one shouldn't have thought he was talking about all or nothing. "Tailor diet and exercise for one's own life and body."
Versions of things are fine.
Sorry book writer (hehehehe):).

Khafra,
Dorian is "THE MAN" on this subject. Good luck with your keto.

Dorian
11-28-2001, 06:37 AM
Actually I see fitnessman is back and he is well versed on this subject also. maybe he will chime in here.

fitnessman
11-28-2001, 03:17 PM
Okay I am back fellas.....

Lets not forget the post work out shake with carbs. 30-40g of carbs 30-40g protien immediately after. Will not affect ketosis and WILL prevent brain fog.

The carbs will be used right away for muscle recovery post training.

I have found with some of the folks that I have trained that a carb meal affects ketosis because of the slower digestion. So if you mix your post work out shake with juice the uptake is pretty darn quick. Overall I dont recommend a carb meal per say.

ECA's are great also on the diet.

What is really important also is to find your CCL(critical carb level) Everyone has one. What it is the amount of carbs you can take in without slipping out of ketosis. Mine is around 120g per day.
The best way to determine this is with keto diasticks, which you can get at any drug store. Test you urine every morning gradually increase carbs by 10g or so a day untill the diastick no longer turns a very pale shade of pink--- and presto you have your CCL.

On the days I train twice I have 2 shakes with 30g carbs, then make up the rest of the carbs with fibrous veggies(salads, broccoli, asparagus ect.) On the one workout days the post workout shake has 40-50g carbs.

Quiet Storm
11-28-2001, 06:11 PM
master of keto? am i glad you're here!

ive been eating a few grams of carbs (10-15g) after i workout but not immediately, so if i have a glass of apple juice with like 30g of carbs immediately after i workout i should be fine? this brain fog is makin an ass out of me, as well you know a good site with low carb foods you can buy or recipes?
thanks

Dorian
11-28-2001, 06:19 PM
hahahaha master of keto huh? OK just nice to see youv'e decided to come back.
as for the guya sking the question. I will let fit answer it but in my opinion I think it would be fine to drink that after a workout. just use some whey protein also. and for recipes well go to atkins site and look for some.

fitnessman
11-29-2001, 03:58 AM
30g of carbs in juice form mixed with some whey 30g or so right after training.

Remember its a high fat diet dont confuse it with a low carb!

Khafra
11-29-2001, 04:30 PM
So, I read in Par Deus's article that "glycogen levels of < 70mmol/kg [are] necessary for optimal fat loss." Is that as a daily average, or will optimal fat loss start immediately when that level is attained, no matter how short the time period is? Is that 70 mmol/kg the level at which the diasticks turn pink? And that is blood levels alone, not counting your muscle glycogen stores, right? Should I be starting a new thread and asking Par Deus specifically? :)

fitnessman
11-30-2001, 03:58 AM
The thing I have found is the diet can vary by person depending on your critical carb level.

sgtpepper1972
09-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Do you realy need carbs ..?

pr0nstar
09-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Do you realy need carbs ..?

Do you really need a brain?

Carbs fuel your brain!

bubblyzu
02-15-2011, 01:32 AM
vote for b builder

bubblyzu