PDA

View Full Version : how much cardio is enough cardio?

aironenise
06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
ive been wondering..because i have to push myself just to run a mile....so how much cardio is enough cardio

and to all those people who run 3 and 4 miles everyday...how are you able to pull this off so easily...is it all in the breathing or what?

Dman45
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Its enough when your body tells you ENOUGH! if you can only run a mile then run a mile... soon you will be able to run 1.2 miles.. then 1.5.. etc

thebasil
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
A year ago I couldn't run what I can do now for the life of me. Just keep at it. Do a mile for a few weeks, then slowly but surely bump it up. You'll see the distance increase gradually, or the calories, or whatever marker you have for yourself :D

Just don't feel pressured to jump to a longer distance or faster speed too quickly, because getting injured SUCKS.

1quick1
06-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't do any cardio. Point being X amount may be enough for one person but not enough for another.

Vel
06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
every spring i start doign cardio outside, and every spring i have to readjust. It starts off as me not being able to do more than 4 laps around the csoccer field by my house before my legs are killing and im just way too out of breath. Eventually though you just get better. Your legs end up being able to take more abouse (proper running technique helps, tip: run on your toes, never let the heel touch the ground for the most part...Slight twisting of the torso, elbows locked at 90 degrees, never flail them around...Your calves should be loose up until the point where your foot will hit the ground, then it tenses up and kicks off, but all the pushing is coming from the hips. Breath deep and as slow or fast as keeps you in the game without hyperventilating. push yourself, if you start dying caus eyou're out of breath, keep going until you absolutely cannot take it. This will condition your cardio system to be able to do more. Right now I can run on an empty stomach for an hour straight without getting tired or short of breath, but when i started in march I believe I was sucking wind big time. High intensity sprint work for maybe 20 minutes will work wonders for making low impact jogging much much easier, that I believe is what helped me out to be able to run a lot without fatiguing. Just sprint far and fast till you cant run anymore, and stop, rest for about a minute, do it again over and over. You want to try cutting down your rest periods more and more every workout.

thebasil
06-06-2007, 09:48 PM
every spring i start doign cardio outside, and every spring i have to readjust. It starts off as me not being able to do more than 4 laps around the csoccer field by my house before my legs are killing and im just way too out of breath. Eventually though you just get better. Your legs end up being able to take more abouse (proper running technique helps, tip: run on your toes, never let the heel touch the ground for the most part...Slight twisting of the torso, elbows locked at 90 degrees, never flail them around...Your calves should be loose up until the point where your foot will hit the ground, then it tenses up and kicks off, but all the pushing is coming from the hips. Breath deep and as slow or fast as keeps you in the game without hyperventilating. push yourself, if you start dying caus eyou're out of breath, keep going until you absolutely cannot take it. This will condition your cardio system to be able to do more. Right now I can run on an empty stomach for an hour straight without getting tired or short of breath, but when i started in march I believe I was sucking wind big time. High intensity sprint work for maybe 20 minutes will work wonders for making low impact jogging much much easier, that I believe is what helped me out to be able to run a lot without fatiguing. Just sprint far and fast till you cant run anymore, and stop, rest for about a minute, do it again over and over. You want to try cutting down your rest periods more and more every workout.

About the running on the toes only; in my opinion longer distances are much easier to run when your heel contacts the ground. It'd be damn hard to run for more than a mile on only your toes. Or is this just me?

dcarrera
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
If i can run, say 4 miles in the morning.....

Then run another 2 miles at night, and i can do it w/ o any trouble, should i still do it?

swordfish7
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Just don't feel pressured to jump to a longer distance or faster speed too quickly, because getting injured SUCKS.

Yes is does suck. I screwed up my shins this season when i started running too hard after putting on ~20 lbs over the last bulk. I pretty much can't jog on them now, but I can do sprints without pain and bicycling and cardio machines.

Vel
06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
About the running on the toes only; in my opinion longer distances are much easier to run when your heel contacts the ground. It'd be damn hard to run for more than a mile on only your toes. Or is this just me?

That's your opinion but it's a proven fact the top runners on the planet never let the heels come full contact with the ground or at the least it's very light, more like a superficial contact that doesn't do anything for the overall movement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4286146.stm

depo12
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
If i can run, say 4 miles in the morning.....

Then run another 2 miles at night, and i can do it w/ o any trouble, should i still do it?

I would say that as long as you stay within the recommended heart rate for fat loss then yes, absolutely....if you're going to run that much though, you may want to take some BCAA's and maybe even some glutamine to prevent muscle loss

aironenise
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM
bump

PickItUp
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Running is tough. Your legs have to physically raise your body and push off the ground in such a manner that your body moves forward. It is like miniature jumps...

Build your cardiovascular system using cardio machines first. I prefer the Precor, but Lifefitness makes a decent low impact elliptical also.

There are things you can do on an elliptical that you cannot do in real life.

For example, I can move my legs at a speed of about 24mph on the Lifefitness elliptical...I could never run 24mph in real life.

Once you get used to endurance based activites, you will start to learn your sweating point. For me, after about 12 minutes of moderate intensity cardio, I finally break a sweat. By the 15 minute mark, I am in the groove.

I mentioned this in another section of this forum recently...I love cardio...but only after the 15 minute mark. I get all hot and bothered by the cardio activity. However, once I start to sweat and breathe deeply, everything changes, and I become focused. I am no longer hot and bothered...rather, I am now in my own world, and nothing bothers me...sometimes, my calves will burn from using the Precor, but usually I can continue on.

My theory is that by the time you have jogged the first mile, you have not entered this "zone" that I am referring to. I think you need to start out on a machine and keep going until you start to sweat profusely...then close your eyes, and start pedaling to the beat if whatever music you are listening to...you will spend 4 minutes and realize that they just flew by...you must enter the zone for cardio to become fun.

aironenise
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
^yea i understand what you are say ing..

and damn man i can only run like 3/4 of a mile wit teh lil elastic sweatsuit thingy on...lol

cray159
06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
What about running in the pool? It seems you get a little resistance and its not hard on your joints

dcarrera
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
What about running in the pool? It seems you get a little resistance and its not hard on your joints

I don't have a pool but whenever i go to a hotel, i get in the pool at night and run and wow i sleep soooooo good. I highly reccomend it. It's a good cardiovascular activity and it helps you sleep

SaraLove
06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
ive been wondering..because i have to push myself just to run a mile....so how much cardio is enough cardio

and to all those people who run 3 and 4 miles everyday...how are you able to pull this off so easily...is it all in the breathing or what?

I don't know what your goals are, but running you heart out is not always the way to lose weight. You want to monitor your hart rate and keep it around 130 depending on your age. If you are trying to get in shape and work your hart it is about 155. You should do this for 20-60 minutes. You might want to work your way up on the time and take a break with 30 and then another 30. How far you go is not important unless you trying to win a marathon or something.

aironenise
06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't know what your goals are, but running you heart out is not always the way to lose weight. You want to monitor your hart rate and keep it around 130 depending on your age. If you are trying to get in shape and work your hart it is about 155. You should do this for 20-60 minutes. You might want to work your way up on the time and take a break with 30 and then another 30. How far you go is not important unless you trying to win a marathon or something.

i understand what you saying...gut damn 30 min of running almost seems impossible to me right now..maybe i just need to build up my endurance..and im 18...lookn to lose 15-30 lbs

-Aaron-
06-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I go 5 miles a day, but the point here is to do as much cardio as you want.

plAythiNG
06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
well 4-5 days a week, i do 1 hour of cardio, usually consists of 30min rowing and 30min x trainer. each week, i only lose about 200g, but thats due 2 my poor diet as i love 2 endulge lol.

forcasa
06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
well 4-5 days a week, i do 1 hour of cardio, usually consists of 30min rowing and 30min x trainer. each week, i only lose about 200g, but thats due 2 my poor diet as i love 2 endulge lol.

probably due to your age too :)

pologod05
06-21-2007, 08:57 PM

they build up to it. it doesnt happen overnight. its not exactly just in the breathing, although that is related to the conditioning needed to perform that kind of activity. the better conditioned you are, the longer and harder you can push yourself. its like lifting weights; you will get stronger and be able to lift heavier weights, but it takes time to build that muscle.

500hpSTi
06-22-2007, 07:06 AM
I've found that if I concentrate on running with my quads and not my calves, I can run alot further.. Sometimes when I start out, my calves will become very pumped and sore within the first 3/4 mile.. It's then that I make the adjustment and usually the pain wll subside.. Usually, the leg pumps are what keep me from jogging any real distance, but I have worked my way up 2.75 miles more than 4 times per week.. Endurance will build itself slowly.. That hard part is just getting out there regularly, and getting that jog in..