PDA

View Full Version : Is is ok to eat one can of Tuna per week?

TXJosh
07-25-2004, 11:23 AM
I have heard so much about this mercury thing with tuna that I eventually just gave it up. But I really do enjoy eating tuna, yet I have not heard anything about how much (if any) is safe to eat on a regular basis. Anyone here have info on this?

Inkill
07-25-2004, 11:38 AM
eat it once a day ! like i do :) no worries ... unless it's 3 to 4 cans a day then yes u may have somethin to worry about ... i guess :)

xxghostxx
07-25-2004, 11:41 AM
You can safely eat chunk light tuna 1-2 cans a day in my opinion without risk of mercury poisoning.

TXJosh
07-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't understand what the big 'Mercury Scare' is all about then if you can eat 1-2 cans a day with no significant risk. What percentage of the general public consumes that much? I'd say around 5% (mainly healthy eaters and bodybuilders).

TXJosh
07-25-2004, 12:31 PM
By the way, how long have yall been eating tuna like this for? How would you know if you did get sick from it?

Rocckk
07-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by xxghostxx
You can safely eat chunk light tuna 1-2 cans a day in my opinion without risk of mercury poisoning.

wow look at this guy he got his medical degree from his own home... the world's first self-made doctor

xxghostxx
07-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Rocckk
wow look at this guy he got his medical degree from his own home... the world's first self-made doctor

thanks for the awesome comments smarty pants. I'm merely speaking from all the research i've done since coming into my own in nutrition. Reading lots of various reports/studies from tons of different sources, I've come to find the average would probably be 1-2 cans a day for a normal individual, last summer I averaged 10-14 cans a week for three months and never experienced mercury poisoning to my knowledge, but then again, I only have a home made PHD. Just do some searching around on google and make the decision yourself.

ElPeliador
07-25-2004, 03:46 PM
whats mercury poisioning and whats it do?

LiL USMC BBer
07-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Mercury is a heavy metal that resides in your blood and doesn't get along with it real well. Interferes with proper functioning of the nervous system I beleive.

tuna... one can per week? Damn... tuna is liek the cheapest source of protein out there! I eat one can a day.

Its ESPECIALLY ok if you eat chunk light tuna... it has less mercury then the regular solid white albacore tuna. ANd even the solid white has little mercury in it because canned tuna is derived from baby tuna fishes. aww how cute :rolleyes:

massive member
07-25-2004, 04:47 PM
i used to do 2 cans a day, 7 days a week. now i do 1 can a day monday thru friday and on the weekends try to incorporate other foods to add variety and mix things up.

the mercury deal never really played a part in my reasonings for doing this.

timbo81
07-25-2004, 04:53 PM
I used to eat a large can a day, I developed alot of intestinal problems like reflux though. Guess my stomach just isn't very strong, personally don't touch tuna anymore.