PDA

View Full Version : do you crave "cheat food" when you're sick?

MissThing
06-06-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm pretty run down at the moment (cold, sore throat, aches and pains) and all I can think of is cake and biscuits (cookies) and hot drinks. :o and I feel like I've got a gremlin on mu shoulder telling me it's OK because I'm sick.

can anyone relate?

The Solution
06-06-2007, 03:39 AM
**** sweets in general.. they taste like crap..

woulndt you rather have a bowl of oatmeal or a chicken salad instead? they taste 100x better then white bread with frosting that makes your stomach feel like complete crap!

instead of craving crappy white breads get up a get a slice of peanut butter bread it goes down a lot better and has 100x better health effects then sugary white death (cake)

cap10raygun
06-06-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty run down at the moment (cold, sore throat, aches and pains) and all I can think of is cake and biscuits (cookies) and hot drinks. :o and I feel like I've got a gremlin on mu shoulder telling me it's OK because I'm sick.

can anyone relate?

Lol, I was just sick this past weekend. I didnt really have an appetite at first since I was feeling like **** the first couple of days. After I was feeling a bit better I just started eating whatever I could find. It was pretty much all sweets and junk food. Worst weekend ever, lol.

MissThing
06-06-2007, 04:09 AM

woulndt you rather have a bowl of oatmeal or a chicken salad instead? they taste 100x better then white bread with frosting that makes your stomach feel like complete crap!

instead of craving crappy white breads get up a get a slice of peanut butter bread it goes down a lot better and has 100x better health effects then sugary white death (cake)

I don't want to eat that stuff, they just keep coming to my mind, lol! (I don't eat oatmeal anyway)

I's just find it wierd that I keep imagining junk food that I have no desire to eat.

dodgyone
06-06-2007, 04:21 AM
It probably goes back to your childhood days. When your parents would give you treats when you were unwell!

MissThing
06-06-2007, 04:23 AM
It probably goes back to your childhood days. When your parents would give you treats when you were unwell!

lol, that might be it :D ;)

norcalmuscle
06-06-2007, 04:34 AM

can anyone relate?

I had a pneumonia a few months back and ended up eating like crap the whole time. I don't know what it is but it seems like whenever I'm under weather I use it as an excuse to eat whatever I want. Drink lots and lots of tea.

Catch39
06-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Yup...that's why its called comfort food.

nacersusaf
06-06-2007, 06:22 AM

I don't think this has anything to do with the Ops question... She wasn't asking for you to come preach to her with your holier-than-thou attitude. Sheesh.

Anyway to the op: It's probably because your body is worn down, you know? I know that there is a direct correlation between being tired and hungry... and when I'm sick I'm certainly tired! :D

Perhaps you could try a diet soda (such as fresca or something else citrusy) to give you something sweet. I know that my mom used to always give me 7-Up when I was little to calm my stomach when I was sick... something about the carbonation really helps.

Yup...that's why its called comfort food.

Ah, good point there! ;)

King_Marmoset!
06-06-2007, 07:00 AM

can anyone relate?

I can 100% relate. I was sick for about a year and half recently and I constantly craved milk shakes and chinese food. Although, when I had mono and strep at the same time I basically lived on milk shakes!

jfla32033
06-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I can 100% relate. I was sick for about a year and half recently and I constantly craved milk shakes and chinese food. Although, when I had mono and strep at the same time I basically lived on milk shakes!

haha thats rough. the only time i avoid dairy is when i have sore throat/cough....dairy is so bad for you when u have throat illness because of the congestion and mucus it causes. that's probably why u were sick for so long lol

King_Marmoset!
06-06-2007, 07:20 AM
that's probably why u were sick for so long lol

Actually, I was sick because I had a vitamin deficiency that no doctor I went to see even thought of. The doctors thought it was the mono that was still ruining me.

jfla32033
06-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Actually, I was sick because I had a vitamin deficiency that no doctor I went to see even thought of. The doctors thought it was the mono that was still ruining me.

ooh i see...well i dont know much in the medical field but good to hear you've gotten over that

Supertransplant
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't want to be a dick. But people with a history of bad nutrition have cravings because of it. It's self destructive. You figure, whatever..you're already sick........

nacersusaf
06-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't want to be a dick. But people with a history of bad nutrition have cravings because of it. It's self destructive. You figure, whatever..you're already sick........

I don't think that you're being a dick... it's true for the most part.

For example: I know KFC is crap food. It's some of the worst for you, it doesn't taste good, (I could go on and on about how crappy it is) but for some reason I get cravings for it. I'm willing to bet it's because I ate it a lot as a kid because my parents would bring it home for dinner.

If a child grows up eating a super healthy diet chances are they will continue to eat healthy later in life, while the opposite is also true of bad diets right?

I think it just goes back to what another person said about it being "comfort food".

onelonglizard
06-06-2007, 08:28 AM

can anyone relate?
I always crave jello and orange sherbert icecream and sometimes popcicles. Anytime I get sick I eat whatever sounds good.

anandagirl
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
YES! I want carbs mostly, cheese, yummy stuff with a lot of fat, like butter, mac and cheese, quesadillas, etc!

Mike83
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
when i am hung over I end up eating the worst foods and dont feel bad about it til the next day!

Its a problem i must conquer : )

grapemaster
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
chikn in a biskits

natescope
06-06-2007, 07:35 PM

milk shakes make your throat numb or something, makes mono less painful