PDA

View Full Version : Canola Oil Help *Reps*

driverr
06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
1. Hain - Canola Oil Liq (24Z)

Important Information
Ingredients
100% expeller pressed canola oil, and mixed tocopherols (vitamin E - to preserve quality).

Product Description
Great for baking, sauteing and salad dressings. It's neutral flavor makes this oil very popular!

2. Spectrum Canola Oil, Refined, Organic
Sizes: 16oz, 32oz

The ultimate all-purpose cooking oil, our Canola Oil is just as at home in a cake pan as in a wok.

Ingredients
100% Organic Expeller Pressed Naturally Refined Canola Oil.

3. Spectrum Canola Oil, Refined

The ultimate all-purpose cooking oil, our Canola Oil is just as at home in a cake pan as in a wok.

Ingredients
100% Expeller Pressed Naturally Refined Canola Oil.

4. Spectrum Canola Oil, High Heat, Refined

A top choice for high-heat cooking.

Ingredients
100% Expeller Pressed Naturally Refined High Monounsaturate Canola Oil.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Based on Wikipedia, the smoke point of canola oil are as follows:

Unrefined 225?F 107?C
Semirefined 464?F 240?C
Refined 468?F 242?C

So my question is: In what category does the 4 products fall? Im confused if 100% expeller pressed is considered as unrefined, semirefined, refined, organic?

The Director
06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
looks like their all refined..stay away.

Unrefined oils=way to go.

driverr
06-06-2007, 02:51 AM
looks like their all refined..stay away.

Unrefined oils=way to go.

No the reason im asking those cause i am particular for high heat cooking. So im verifying if expeller pressed means what???

And unrefined of course doenst have a high smoke point so it will be useless for high

baarat
06-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Organic Canola is an oxi-moron. Anywho, like filmmaker said, stay away of any refined oil. Saturated fat is the prefered oil medium for high heat cooking. Try extra virgin coconut oil for the win. Can't stop laughing at the Canola industries wording like "Naturally Refined" and "Canola Oil, Refined, Organic" ;)

driverr
06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Organic Canola is an oxi-moron. Anywho, like filmmaker said, stay away of any refined oil. Saturated fat is the prefered oil medium for high heat cooking. Try extra virgin coconut oil for the win. Can't stop laughing at the Canola industries wording like "Naturally Refined" and "Canola Oil, Refined, Organic" ;)

Well I dont think evco can be cooked for high heat. In fact, it can only reach 350 which means its only good for medium. So hows that?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2583711

Jules Verne
06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
just use regular (non-virgin) olive oil. Much better for you and just fine.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/cooking_olive_oil.htm

baarat
06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Well I dont think evco can be cooked for high heat. In fact, it can only reach 350 which means its only good for medium. So hows that?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2583711

Unless your deepfrying evco is fine for stovetop home cooking. I know you like to cook with high heat, but after 350 on a stove your burning your food and it makes no sense to get the oil that hot anyway. Or, you could use another saturated fat. Just saying.

SaintPatty
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Oh I love canola oil. You know, organic, unrefined canola oil from the.... canola plant? Hmmm-

Canola oil is actually a blend of 'oily seeds', such as the rapeseed, and I looked it up and found out that 'canola' comes from:

"Canadian oil, low acid"- as of 1978

Canola oil is indeed a great oil for cooking at high heat, but unless you're searing ahi tuna over a jet engine, you will probably be just fine with olive, or like someone else said virgin coconut oil.

DJohnson
06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Extra virgin coconut oil for sure if eaten daily. I wouldn't eat any other heated oil. The omega 6's get messed up and cause lower thyroid output among many other nasty things.

driverr
06-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Oh I love canola oil. You know, organic, unrefined canola oil from the.... canola plant? Hmmm-

Canola oil is actually a blend of 'oily seeds', such as the rapeseed, and I looked it up and found out that 'canola' comes from:

"Canadian oil, low acid"- as of 1978

Canola oil is indeed a great oil for cooking at high heat, but unless you're searing ahi tuna over a jet engine, you will probably be just fine with olive, or like someone else said virgin coconut oil.

Yeah i think its the best for high heat. They keep on bashing it but they cant even name a replacement.

baarat
06-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah i think its the best for high heat. They keep on bashing it but they cant even name a replacement.
Personally I wouldn't even consider canola oil for any application whatsoever. And canola is only recommended for medium heat cooking and shouldn't be used for high heat applications. Do some research driverr, it will be enlightening, but because of the huge canola supported market you may have to dig.