PDA

View Full Version : Anything to minimise alchohol?

mp_
07-19-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm slowly getting seriously into bodybuilding, currently at 190lbs, 10% BF.

My diet is good and I'm always watching what I do and weight it up.

My main problem is alcohol on the weekend. I have lately (lakst few months) been minimising my drinking to at the very most once a week. This is basically a night out on the town which is roughly a few beers, 5-6 bundy and cokes and a shot of tequila or two.

I understand that alchohol is not only alot of extra calories, but that it also helps stimulate the storing of fat.

However, can anything be done about drinking?

It's impossible for me to cut it out of my social life because without it I wouldn't have a social life. I'm only 20 and don't yet feel bodybuilding should be my entire life.

Any supplements which can minimise the effects of a night out?
Any other care or things I should pre/post to going out? Is it true that pre to going out, I shouldn't workout or hit the gym?

Cheers

Matadon
07-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Cut down the amount you drink; have a few beers (that's one or two, not ten or twenty), no mixed drinks, *maybe* a shot if it's a special occasion. A glass of wine is also a good bet. Oh, and no more than once a week. Once a month is probably a better bet.

Tell your friends what you're trying to do; if they're real friends, they'll be supportive, and might even join in with you on cutting. Anyone who tries to shove beer after beer after shot into your hands after you tell them you're on a restricted diet for bodybuilding isn't a friend, and wants to see you fail, because they don't have the discipline to do what you're doing.

Voulenteer to be the DD. Not only will you help keep your friends alive, but you stand a chance of pulling in some serious 'gas money'. *grin*

Big thing is, don't respond to pressure -- after you have your two beers, that's it. Don't even bring enough cash for more than that. If your friends buy you drinks, give them to other people. Sooner or later, they'll get the message.

Sicshift
07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I hate it too. I just limit myself to like 1 drink on fri and 3 on saturday. I usually drink diet and whatever hard alcohol or wine.

I work out so hard during the week and on the weekend too and keep such a strict diet that I think it won't affect my cutting too much.

The important part for me is to never go past 3 drinks because if I get a good buzz going, I'll go and eat a ton of crap and I could be hungover the next day which usually means I don't work out.

zackmurphy
07-19-2004, 11:27 AM
If you DO have a mixed drink, you can make sure it's not the type that's a bunch of fruit juice. Diet coke and rum, diet and jack, etc., or a vodka tonic - something on the lighter side.

And before I say this next part, please understand that I, too, avoid alcohol in spite of the fact that I love happy hour, and I love having a few drinks.

A few drinks, over the long haul, is really no big deal. The alcohol slows your metabolism as much as 75% as your body tries to avoid having to process it, but it's only a few hundred calories (2 beers or 2 mixed "diet" drinks), and a few hundred calories, over the course of a week, is not a tragedy.

I get about 65000-75000 calories a month. An extra 1000 from 8-10 drinks/month is not a major shift, as long as I appropriately limit my mono- and disaccharide sugar intake to balance it out.

In moderation, it's not all evil. If you're cutting for a show, or very serious about keeping a six-pack, then you should ditch the drinking. But if you're like most people, a couple drinks is no huge issue.

nithos
07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Matadon
Voulenteer to be the DD.

Hopefully you don't have to be drunk to be sociable.

Blindfaith
07-19-2004, 01:36 PM
vodka and cranberry juice...you wont get as bad of a hangover and cranberry juice is a natural fat burner. Carefull because these things go down too easy!

zackmurphy
07-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Blindfaith
and cranberry juice is a natural fat burner.
how do you figure?

Salford Reds
07-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Funny..I heard it was a mass builder.

Blindfaith
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by zackmurphy
how do you figure?

Cranberry juice contains HIGH levels of polyphenols which helps to increase your metabolism because it overcomes the oxidant stress of fructose.

It's also a great anti oxidant! great for hangovers :)

such a loser yo
07-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Matadon
Cut down the amount you drink; have a few beers (that's one or two, not ten or twenty), no mixed drinks, *maybe* a shot if it's a special occasion. A glass of wine is also a good bet.

i am very curious why you suggest to "have a few beers" but you advise against taking shots. a beer is 95-150+ calories for the same amount of alcohol as a 55 calorie shot.

in my opinion, the best alcoholic beverage you can have is a shot of clear alcohol--mixed with a diet soda if you'd like.

nithos
07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by such a loser yo
in my opinion, the best alcoholic beverage you can have is a shot of clear alcohol--mixed with a diet soda if you'd like.

Forget the diet soda, drink Everclear straight from the bottle like a man.

Wurtis15
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey,

I gotta be drunk to bone some of these chicks too...I got a few concoctions for ya.

1 bottle vodka
2 crystal light packets
1 tray ice
blend and take shots

buy a beer bong, you'll get drunk faster.

begin smoking weed or taking vicodin, you'lkl drink alot less.

BTW I don't use any of these techniques anymore, I just drink beer on the weekends...haven't really seen any detrimental effects, but it might just be me.

Blindfaith
07-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Wurtis15
Hey,

I gotta be drunk to bone some of these chicks too...I got a few concoctions for ya.

1 bottle vodka
2 crystal light packets
1 tray ice
blend and take shots

buy a beer bong, you'll get drunk faster.

begin smoking weed or taking vicodin, you'lkl drink alot less.

BTW I don't use any of these techniques anymore, I just drink beer on the weekends...haven't really seen any detrimental effects, but it might just be me.

Thats some great advice...this guy obviously knows what hes talking about.

Why not throw some E in there along with some coke...they help you drink better too.