PDA

View Full Version : muscle memory

SheMonster
07-19-2004, 05:38 AM
I want to know more about this phemomenon. I have been weight training on and off for over 10 years. Over the last three years I have been in the gym 4-5x a week without fail. I am also studying for my black belt. Practice is 2x a week, 2 hours each session. I need a little break. I will continue to go to my martial arts training but I was hoping to do one weight training session a week doing circuits (25 sets/one rep) for each body part just to maintain my muscle mass.

Does anyone have first hand experience with 'muscle memory'? How long did you maintain your body before you noticed changes?
Thanks!

Xanatos
07-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I think muscle memory is not the proper term to use in this case.

Here's an excellent example of muscle memory:

"Lets say that you busted your behind in the gym and built a huge, massive pair of quads measuring 30 inches in circumference! Then for one reason or another you stopped training your legs. During the time off, your quadriceps atrophied( shrunk ) down to 24 inches. Determined to regain your lost mass you decide to hit the gym again with extreme ferocity! Only this time you are able to gain back those 6 inches in a matter of months, where as originally it took you years to gain that much mass! "

"When you increased your muscle mass by building 30 inch wheels, you also ended out stretching and expanding the muscles encasing tissue. Therefore the manipulation of these protective sheathes was a major factor in your ability to stimulate hypertrophy! In the scenario painted, we also discussed you taking time off from training. So much so, that your lower body atrophied to a point in which 6 inches were lost off of your legs. However, even with this tremendous setback, you still had stretched the connective tissue to a great extent. When you came back to the gym and trained, you were no longer fighting the restrictions of tight, unpliable fascia, but rather a more elastic and pre-expanded connective tissue! Essentially all bets were off, due to the amount of room you had to grow! More room to grow enables more mass to be accumulated! This is one of the top theories held today for what we coin " muscle memory. " "

(URL = http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/fascialstretching.htm )