PDA

View Full Version : Need some linemen help.

Michael Bao
06-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm an offensive tackle. When I block head up against this guy who is 350 lbs + but weaker then me in squat and bench and stuff he pushes me back but has a hard time. He also uses a shield to block my face. I sometimes pull and run into the person and the first time my head flew back. Second time my body went back too. What did I do wrong?

How am I suppose to take him on?
And for when I pull how should I hit them?

TriadKnight65
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
get lower than him but not to low and when u pull make sure to hit him runninh because if u stop he will lay ur ass out but u may no be doing anything wrong it could be body weight

olinerules87
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
knock the living Sh!t out of him once and he'll back up

mesayseo
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
what do you mean by uses a shield to block your face?
i know a little dirty trick you can use that refs in HS dont typically call on the guys in the trenches. since it sounds to me like the guy smaller then you is beating you off the ball you need to develop i guess you could call it an offhand you take the hand thats not on the ground and right when you come out of your stance get your hand on the bottom of his face mask but dont grab it push his head up and this will force his head up and his natural reaction will be to stand up , its kinda like an uppercut if you messup doing this your going to be in pain though. as for the pulling problem just like everyone else has said. oh yeah and when your pulling on get your inside shoulder to hit him so that way he has to go thrugh you to get to the play you can also turn your block into a log( its what we called it at my school when you basically turned and sealed your guy from going outside.

Michael Bao
06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
We used shields because we're not in full gear yet. Hence, it only being spring training. And he shoves it in my face.

superfob
06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
simple you can fix this up by
1) getting some more mass behind you( get bigger)
2) getting abit more leverage on him
3)getting your speed and mass up( speed+mass=train)

also when you pull around just cut block him if you can.

Michael Bao
06-04-2007, 09:06 PM
i know a little dirty trick you can use that refs in HS dont typically call on the guys in the trenches. since it sounds to me like the guy smaller then you is beating you off the ball you need to develop i guess you could call it an offhand you take the hand thats not on the ground and right when you come out of your stance get your hand on the bottom of his face mask but dont grab it push his head up and this will force his head up and his natural reaction will be to stand up , its kinda like an uppercut if you messup doing this your going to be in pain though. as for the pulling problem just like everyone else has said. oh yeah and when your pulling on get your inside shoulder to hit him so that way he has to go thrugh you to get to the play you can also turn your block into a log( its what we called it at my school when you basically turned and sealed your guy from going outside.

no one smaller than me can push me back. it's just that the guy i went against was about 350 lbs+ lol

TheManchild
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
i dont know many fast 350 guys. in fact, i dont know many 350 guys at all. i dn about this guy but frankly guys that are that big are almost too big to be good athletes (sure theres probably exceptions, esp in like pros and stuff) but like at hs level... you should be alot faster and quicker than he is. if its a pass protection, just do what your coaches tell you to do, but you cant seriously be expected to just stand up and stop someone on a pass protect. give ground slowly and work him outside. if its on a drive, get lower than he is, and maybe consider a shoulder block instead of just hands out driving. (thats what we do since our guys are all alot smaller than everyone else) anyways i find that being low wins it so be low and fast and you'll be straight

superfob
06-05-2007, 03:44 PM
there is this one guy who's 350+lbs , hes on scout.com and apparently hes been verbally offered by a lot of colleges

mesayseo
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
no one smaller than me can push me back. it's just that the guy i went against was about 350 lbs+ lol

yeah i just reread the first time for some reason i thought you said you were 350 my fault man.
then yeah you need to work on leverage especially if he's beating you with the bag. but hey if your quicker then him then when you guys are in full gear you should be ok.

TriadKnight65
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
i know a little dirty trick you can use that refs in HS dont typically call on the guys in the trenches. since it sounds to me like the guy smaller then you is beating you off the ball you need to develop i guess you could call it an offhand you take the hand thats not on the ground and right when you come out of your stance get your hand on the bottom of his face mask but dont grab it push his head up and this will force his head up and his natural reaction will be to stand up , its kinda like an uppercut if you messup doing this your going to be in pain though. as for the pulling problem just like everyone else has said. oh yeah and when your pulling on get your inside shoulder to hit him so that way he has to go thrugh you to get to the play you can also turn your block into a log( its what we called it at my school when you basically turned and sealed your guy from going outside.i always throw the forearm into there throat

mesayseo
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
yeah that woks too it accomplishes the same goal. it makes the guy stand up.