PDA

View Full Version : How in the world do you guys cook salmon steaks?

Maestro
07-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I decided to try something a little different so I bought a salmon steak.

I had an idea that it was going to be something a little different that throwing it in the oven like you do to chicken, so I looked up some ways to cook it. Too bad it turned out all wrong.

First of all, I put it in one of those thick iron skillets that go on the stove, placed it skin up and everything seemed ok intil it started popping oil everywhere

say to myself, "i'll just wait t out until it finishes then i'll clean up my mess" Well I come back like 5minutes later and I can see that the whole bottom was burnt black. I had no idea it cooked so fast!

I turn it over on the skin side andcontinue to let it cook, this time staying and watching it. as soon as that side started turning brown I take it out and put it on a plate.only to find the inside is practically raw. I had already cleaned off the stove so I just stuck it in the microwave and cooked it for a couple of minutes and it came out really dry.

So in the end I'm let with a semi big mess and a burt salmon steak. I'll still eat it burnt because I like it like that, but if I was cooking it for someone else, then i'd be in embarrassed.

By the way i'm cutting so I want to make it as healthy as possible.

So, how do you guys cook your salmon steaks?

Ms. Lucy
07-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I love salmon--eat it 2-3 times a week!

My favorite way is to put it in the broiler. Just set the oven to broil (give it a few minutes to heat up). Set the salmon on a oven tray covered in tin foil with the skin on the foil. FOr spices, I love to rub mine with some dill (fresh is best) and sometimes some lemon weges (though it makes cooking a little longer).

Once the oven heats up put it in so the salmon is 8-12 inches from the flame and cook usually 15 minutes without turning sides. (For a 1 1/2 inch think piece)

To check it, you should be able to put your fork in to, turn the fork and have the salmon break along one of the "layers" so that it's smooth. If you can't seem to "break" a piece free it may need another minute or two. Also, the color should be uniform throughout.

I also love to serve mine with fresh steamed asparagus with a mustard/yogurt sauce. Just mix 1/4 cup of mustard with 1 cup of ff or reduced fat yogurt and drizzle on top of salmon and asparagus!

Once you get the hang of it, it's really one of the easiest and tastiest dishes you can cook--plus full of essential fatty acids!

Have fun!

Lucy

bubba g
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
first I rinse it off under cold water then pat it dry....

next I put it skin down in a glass cooking dish I forget what it is called... white glass... corningware I think....

then I rub olive oil on it.... cut up two garlic cloves into small pieces and cover fish.....

after that I pour 4C breadcrumbs over the top....

and put a couple pieces of healthy butter substitute on top.....

I cook it uncovered for 20 - 25 mins at 400..... then broil it for last 3-5 mins on 500 with door open a little.... the broiling makes the crust on top nice and crispy... it is best to watch it when you do it... cause it goes from perfect to burnt real quick....

when it is done sqeeze a lemon over it...

Maestro
07-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ms. Lucy
I love salmon--eat it 2-3 times a week!

My favorite way is to put it in the broiler. Just set the oven to broil (give it a few minutes to heat up). Set the salmon on a oven tray covered in tin foil with the skin on the foil. FOr spices, I love to rub mine with some dill (fresh is best) and sometimes some lemon weges (though it makes cooking a little longer).

Once the oven heats up put it in so the salmon is 8-12 inches from the flame and cook usually 15 minutes without turning sides. (For a 1 1/2 inch think piece)

To check it, you should be able to put your fork in to, turn the fork and have the salmon break along one of the "layers" so that it's smooth. If you can't seem to "break" a piece free it may need another minute or two. Also, the color should be uniform throughout.

I also love to serve mine with fresh steamed asparagus with a mustard/yogurt sauce. Just mix 1/4 cup of mustard with 1 cup of ff or reduced fat yogurt and drizzle on top of salmon and asparagus!

Once you get the hang of it, it's really one of the easiest and tastiest dishes you can cook--plus full of essential fatty acids!

Have fun!

Lucy

Hey thanks,

The salmon that I made (and messed up on) actually taste pretty good as it is, but I still want to get it right.

Oh, wht I wanted to ask is, what temperature do you put the oven on?

bubba g
07-16-2004, 03:38 PM
the rule of thumb is 10 minutes per inch... and you measure the thickest part..... oven temp 425

Hibiscus09
07-17-2004, 07:28 AM
I cook mine at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes -- depends on the salmon steak. I simply spray the pyrex dish with Pam and season the salmon with -- well, here's the recipe from my family website:

Title: New Orleans Salmon Recipe

Ingredients:

4 salmon steaks, 6-oz each, 1" thick
11/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. each salt, thyme, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions:

Combine all spices and rub into both sides of steaks. Spray the salmon with Spray Pam or brush with olive oil. I do the Pam since salmon has healthy fats anyway.

I just cut and pasted, but obviously, that can be scaled down to one salmon steak if that's all you're preparing. It's delicious!

MattyG
07-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Sometimes I poach it in milk - pour enough milk into a pan so that it just covers the salmon by ab centimeter or so, warm up the milk and put in the salmon. You have to be careful not to boil the milk to much though because it will froth over the top, therefore use a moderate heat.

I also like to fry it or grill it.

ana banana
07-17-2004, 09:31 PM
heeey i love salmon, and must say that i find the poached version of it amazzzzzzing, and gosh if you really wanna do something special with it, poach it is stock (chicken i reckon goes better) add some spices, whatever you like (dill, sage works best but basil or anything you might fancy) anyway, so you poach it like that and then you can add a dash of white wine, or you can poach it ALL in white wine, my boyfriend tried it with red, which also tasted good, plus you can then put some of the liquid on top of the salmon and oh yummmmm........also i dont know if much of you tried but making savory 'protein pancakes' by adding spices to the mix and then making it into a crepe and adding cheese or chicken or even tuna with tomatoes and walnuts, waaaaaaaaa....uh and i tried this yesterday, cook some zuchinni (or broc****) , then throw a dash of no-fat-cream, or even skim milk (even though tis not the same but ey) and uh yeah, then a dash of nutmeg, salt, pepper, fry a bit of onions throw all in the pan and while you do so roast a bit of walnuts on cooking spray, and then mix with the veggies ...amazing...i love cooking :) cheers

Maestro
07-19-2004, 06:31 AM
I think i'll try these styles of cooking it then i'll choose which ones the best and stick with it.

by the way, to "poach" something is that like marinating(sp)?

felix318
07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I like to grill Salmon. Just coat the fish in olive oil and put it on aluminum foil (skin-side down) over the grill. No need to turn the fish over, it will cook through in about 10 minutes. Do not over cook. I put a little cajun seasoning on it and a few drops of teryaki sauce, and when it is done, add a little butter on top. Be sure to remove the skin and all the gray matter on the skin side because it has a real strong fishy odor/taste that you don't want to eat. Grilling salmon is quick and very easy to do and there is very little to clean up afterwards.

ChocoChick
07-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Maestro
I think i'll try these styles of cooking it then i'll choose which ones the best and stick with it.

by the way, to "poach" something is that like marinating(sp)?

Poaching refers to cooking something in liquid on the stovetop. Milk and broth are the two most common liquids. Marinating refers to 'soaking' the item to be cooked in a mixture of (usually) oil and seasonings. Sometimes the marinade is used to baste the food as it cooks but typically the food is not cooked in the marinade.