PDA

View Full Version : Knees and squatting

snerd
07-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Hello! I'm fairly new at this, but I have a question.

You see, I'm having my monthly feminine thing going on and I haven't squatted in a looooong time. Now that I'm tryng to get into better shape, I went back again. When I tried to do it, one of my knees started cracking. :( Does that happen to any of you when you're going through that monthly ordeal, or could it be something wrong? I hope not! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

RippedUp
07-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Make sure you warm-up well before squatting.

- deep bodyweight squats
- light leg extensions

Some cracking at first is normal. It should go as you are warmed-up.
If not, then you should see a doctor; there might be a cartilage problem.

Atavis
07-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Cracking/popping can also be a signal that your form is off.

Thunder_Bunny
07-14-2004, 08:31 AM
For me, personally, my knees tend to crack in general. Occasionally there are aches and pains. But when I walk up a flight of stairs my knees sound like rice crispies.

I've seen a doctor about this and they couldn't find anything wrong. The most they could do for me is some physical therapy.

I find that warming up and working out my legs helps me the best.

snerd
07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'll try them agian...the cracking started at the beginning, but I stopped to make sure nothing was wrong. Maybe my form really was off.

moody_weasel
07-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Thunder_Bunny
For me, personally, my knees tend to crack in general. Occasionally there are aches and pains. But when I walk up a flight of stairs my knees sound like rice crispies.

Both my ankles crack, they've done that for a while but it's like every day lately even when I just walk. Really embarrassing. :(

Snerd, if you've never experienced any noises while working out make sure you're warmed-up properly and that your form is good.

JuniorFlex
07-17-2004, 01:07 AM
My knees crack when I squat but that is normal for most people. But it becomes not normal when the cracking is painful. If it is painful too you should probably go get it checked out.