PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to eat protein with a carb?

bjt4fitness
07-13-2004, 07:11 PM
I am getting foggy from low blood sugar before I get hungry.

For breakfast at 7:00am I have:

4egg whites & 1whole egg
1cup bro****
1medium apple

By 9:00am I am getting foggy and know I need a small amount of carb but I'm not hungry or even close to hungry. That usually doesn't happen until about 10:00am. Is it ok to eat an apple or some other small amount of carb without eating protein and/or a little fat?

I have heard so much about always needing to eat a combination, but I'm just not that hungry 2hrs. later and I end up feeling too full.

MsFit
07-13-2004, 10:21 PM
You need to eat carb and protein together. Otherwise the carbs will go directly to fat storage. The protein blunts the insulin spike.

If you eat some slow digesting carbs for breakfast, you will keep a much better balance. Try some oatmeal with those eggs.

nsouth
07-14-2004, 09:48 AM
I finally tried this recipe and I am so addicted and it gets me through for hours.
4 whites with 1/3c. oatmeal mixed together and cooked just like a pancake. You can add anything to them: applesauce, berries, turkey and soy cheese, bananas.

So yummy and so quick and easy.

bjt4fitness
07-14-2004, 11:48 AM
ok, I'm confused. I thought carbs only get stored as fat when there is an overabundance of them in your system/when your glycogen stores are full.

Also, if oats are higher on the GI index wouldn't they give me more of a spike mixed with eggs than an apple (lower GI) mixed with eggs?

I'm not questioning you for the purposes of disagreeing. I just need my knowlege tweaked or clarified.

I'm really trying to figure out my body and how it reacts to different carbs.........really not so much my body, but my mind (I can't stand this foggy feeling I keep talking about)

As far as my body goes, I have cut my grains way down (only had 1/2 cup oats in the past three days and that was after a work out) and I have cut out protein powder. In just three days I can tell a difference in muscle definition and just the overall appearance of my body. So the fruits, veggie and lean meat only thing is working very well, if I could figure when and what mixtures of food create this foggy thing or inhance it.

bjt4fitness
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
More thoughts to add to the above thread..............

I was looking at my diet that I keep on fitday.com. Is it possible that my foggyness is due to not having enought carbs. I have been eating tons of fruit and veggies and my carb intake is about 100gms a day, half of that being from veggies.

I do a body for life type workout......but I don't lift as heavy as I can, just moderate until I feel a good burn.

Maybe my body doesn't have enough glycogen stored in my liver to feed my brain.

Is this possible? I'm trying. I've got to figure this out. It affects my everyday functioning.........especially my work......I'm in sales and have to be a quick thinker.

Thunder_Bunny
07-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Old Fashioned Oats are low GI. It's the prepackaged, flavored kind that has a higher GI.

For me I usually have some oats in the morning along with eggs or a protein drink. This seems to last me quite a while.

Hibiscus09
07-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Old fashoned Quaker Oats will definitely help as opposed to the apple for breakfast. The Oats are slower burning carbs. I've heard steel oats are even better than the Old Fashioned, but I prefer to get what I can buy at the normal grocery store. I have Old Fashioned oats with cinnamon, butterbuds, splenda and walnuts for breakfast, along with 3 egg whites -- that's slow digesting carbs, healthy fat and protein in my first meal. It keeps me satiated until the next meal.

If I were going to include an apple, I would probably have it post workout with my whey protein shake.

bjt4fitness
07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advise. I'll try the oats in the morning. I'm really trying to cut out grain, but I guess since you suggest fruit after a workout, I can just switch the 2 around.

Am I eating too many egg whites? I notice you only eat 3.....I'm eating 5 and a yolk.

imperfectly_lou
07-14-2004, 09:47 PM
5 egg whites is fine... I eat 9 every day with my breakfast

I would say your foggyness is due to a lack of grains in your diet. Your body NEEDS wholegrains. I would much prefer to give my body grains over fruit. They are low GI, full of fibre and keep you full for longer.

Hibiscus09
07-15-2004, 06:11 AM
Yep, Lou's right. I get foggy if I go too long eating lower carbohydrate.

I don't eat as many egg whites because they upset my tummy if I eat too many at once. :) Also, I don't do the yolk when I'm eating oatmeal because I prefer to add walnuts to my oatmeal instead for my fat. On the days I don't have oatmeal for breakfast, I do the yolk.

bjt4fitness
07-15-2004, 05:02 PM
I ate my oats this morning and your absolutely right...I felt so much better. It was the perfect amount to hold me through 3 hours. I think it helped my entire day because I didn't get foggy even once.

Thanks you guys!