PDA

View Full Version : Finally doing this the healthy way

MilesAway
06-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I've struggled with eating disorders since I was 13. My weight has gone from 144, to 100 to 185. I'm at 136 (or somewhere between 134 and 136 depending on the time of day) now, and I've dropped 35lbs since September, the healthy way.

I'm sick of being the fat girl. It's not healthy, and it's definitely not helping me in hockey. My self-esteem sucks. My mental health...well, that's another story. Suffice to say it's not great. Being the fat kid isn't easy, and I'm sure some of you can relate.

Now, I'm changing that. I'm 5'2", and at one point, I was 185lbs. Yikes. Yes, I have a big frame, but that's still excessive weight. I don't think I can go any lower than 120, at least not without becoming disproportionate or skeletal. My ribs are already showing and I'm barely into the average weight BMI.

I'll try to start posting my daily food intake here, but I don't usually count calories. I did for a while, until I realized that I was progressively restricting them. I had started on the low end of the healthy range, and within a few days, I was at 800 calories per day. Try as I might, I don't think I can escape my eating disordered ways, so calorie counting is out. Unless someone else does it for me, and doesn't tell me results.

So tomorrow, I'll post the log. This is just an intro to me. I'll get pics, and measurements tomorrow too. Sometime Monday, I will get calipers and measure my BF% *shudder*.

I've joined the "cutting contest", but I'm not sure if I really qualify. I want to lose fat, so I guess that qualifies as cutting? However I'm training for hockey, so we'll see what happens. BB isn't functional for goaltending.

This is long and rambling, so my apologies to you. However, if you've read this far, congratulations.

MilesAway
06-03-2007, 02:30 PM
So, today has been crappy in terms of food.

6:30am: 12-grain toast with peanut butter
9:15am: Hockey game
10:30am: Subway, Oven roasted chicken breast on honey oat (no sauce, no veggies, just chicken on bread)
11:45am: Booster Juice Soymilk Slam
12:30pm: Another hockey game
3pm: Multigrain bagel, granola bar (doh! the chocolate-covered kind too)
5:30pm: Chicken breast, banana bread, apple, soymilk.

Way too many fats and carbs.

Veggies not included in here, but have been eaten, such as carrots and lettuce. I'm part-rabbit.

I have 2 more games tonight, 8:30pm and 11pm.

Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow, I also go to the gym, and if I can afford it, will pick up some protein powder. Not sure if I'll get soy protein or Muscle Milk. Undecided. Might see if I can get a small size Muscle Milk, see how my body reacts, and go from there. Otherwise, might have to stick to soy protein.

So much for the good start...

On the bright side, I got a shutout and we won the tournament.

skuZZitude
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
sounds good keep up the good work. You had lots of carbs but you also did lots of cardio. 4 hockey games in one day? crazy.

MilesAway
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Today was a bit better I think.

10:30am(yes, I slept in):-Multigrain bagel, chocolate soymilk
12:30pm: chicken breast, apple
2pm: Workout
4pm: Post-workout shake/sludge (whey protein isolate, soy milk, almond flour, wheat bran, oats, strawberries, banana)
7:45pm: Chicken breast, Multigrain bagel, apple, chocolate soymilk

The workout:
-10 minute warm-up on stationary bike, 60% MHR
-Push-ups with rows (5 lb dumbbell in each hand), only managed 1 set of 10
-Push-ups, 2 sets of 10
-Russian twists with 5kg medicine ball, 3 sets of 30
-Opposite elbow to knee crunches, 3 sets of 30
-Leg wipers, 3 sets of 10
-Seated chest press, 1st set of 10 at 40, did another 8 at 40, dropped to 25, and only managed 5 (hmm, I suck)
-Shoulder shrugs, 3 sets of 10, 12.5lb dumbbells
-Shoulder press (I think that's the right name...) 3 X 10 First set 12.5, next 2 sets with 10lb dumbbells
-Woodchop 3 X 10 per side, 12.5lb first set, 15lb next 2
-Lateral shoulder raises 3 X 10, 12.5lbs
-Triceps extension machine 3 X 10 (30lbs)
-Dips (assisted) 3 X 10, first set at 90, next at 80 third at 70
-Chin-ups (assisted) 3 X 10, all at 80
-Overhead triceps extension, 3 X 10, 10lb dumbbell

Yes, I lift light weights compared to most of you, however they feel heavy to me. I'm a 134lb woman, but I'm lifting heavier weights than most of the other ladies in the gym, since most of them don't even lift weights (cardio bunnies).

I'll be moving to a co-ed gym in the future, once I get a bit more comfortable with myself. The co-ed gyms have barbells, the women's only gyms don't (dumbbells and machines only). So once I move to those, I'll be able to see how my squats and bench presses stack up.

bigfatgut
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Good luck! Sounds like your on the right track.

- CK
http://www.bestmuscleprograms.com
http://www.bigfatgut.com

yioti
06-04-2007, 10:23 PM
overcomming an eatind disorder is no joke... im subscribed and good luck

MilesAway
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm trying to overcome pretty much all of them, anorexia (the weight losses, usually in really short periods of time), bulimia (the most recent, and long standing), binge eating, as well as various combinations of them (restricting and purging on an empty stomach). The doctors say there's something like a 80% chance that I'll relapse, not surprising given I've relapsed about 9 times already.

The funny part is that people are telling me now that they are concerned that I'll develop an eating disorder if I lose any more weight. I have to resist the urge to laugh hysterically, or burst into tears.

I have my starting pics now, hopefully they work.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/Spike1616/Me/June5002edited.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/Spike1616/Me/June5001edited.jpg

I had another protein shake before going to bed last night. Forgot to add that.

So far today:
9:30am: Wholegrain bagel, chocolate soymilk
11:30am: Tuna sandwich on wholewheat bread, carrot sticks
2:30pm: Protein shake (banana, whey protein, almond flour, soymilk, wheat bran, oats, strawberries)

Now, I've got some housecleaning to do. Then it's off for a walk to drop off job applications. Then home for food, then off to ball hockey tonight.

Hotmoltenlava
06-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I have my starting pics now, hopefully they work.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/Spike1616/Me/June5002edited.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/Spike1616/Me/June5001edited.jpg

If their is an 80% return to bad habits, just make sure you are in the 20%. I know there are lots of other issues, but will power is also key to beating them.

You definitely don't have far to go. Good luck with the contest, too....:D

Hotmoltenlava

thundergut
06-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Doctors like to say that people who quit smoking cold-turkey usually go back to smoking sooner rather than later. I've been off the stick cold-turkey for 3 years now, so I don't put much stock in the percentages that doctors throw around.

All that "80% of people relapse" says is that only 20 out of every 100 people with a disorder possess the mental and physical fortitude to realize they have an issue, and to work with it (not around it) to get better.

You're doing good so far it seems, so it looks like you may be in the 20. I know you're working with eating disorders now, but have you spoken to a nutritionist about your goals and had them help you create an eating program geared towards your goals?

Good luck on your goals, this is a great place and if you ever have a relapse or think you're about to relapse, we're here for you. Just keep your chin up, keep your motivation in mind, and keep slogging away at it :)

MilesAway
06-05-2007, 06:16 PM
The rest of the food for today:

6pm: Whole wheat bagel, salmon, apple, chocolate soymilk
8:30pm: Carrot sticks

Ball hockey game at 10pm.
Edit: Banana at 11:20pm, after ball hockey. Yummy, post-hockey carbs.

The problem with eating disorders, at least, with mine in particular, is that they are ingrained in your brain. Some people have their cheat meals, feel guilty and move on. I have a cheat meal, and a few things happen. My cheat meal becomes a giant binge, I immediately purge, or if I can't, spend the next days doing ridiculous amounts of cardio. I have to punish myself for it. Doesn't matter what the binge was, could be 2 unplanned cookies, it's still a binge to me.

Going to a restaurant is hell for me. I will literally sit there and stare at the menu for 20 minutes. I'll pick at the food, and be depressed for the next week.

I haven't consulted with a nutrionist. I'm just focusing on eating small meals throughout the day, trying to get protein, healthy carbs and good fats. I'm not counting macros or calories, so I don't know if I'm doing it right.

Hotmoltenlava
06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
The problem with eating disorders, at least, with mine in particular, is that they are ingrained in your brain.

I hope you get better. Tell yourself that you still have the ability to choose to do the right thing. Free will is free will, with eating disorders, smoking, drugs, etc. You still have a choice.

Have a good night.

MilesAway
06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Today's food:

10:30am: Whole wheat toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
3:30pm: Tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, carrot sticks
6pm: Salmon, whole wheat bagel, apple, chocolate soymilk
8:30pm: Protein shake (banana, whey protein, oats, wheat bran, almond flour, strawberries, soymilk)
11:30pm: Wheat squares cereal, chocolate soymilk

Hockey game at 10pm. Also, was running errands and doing a ton of walking between 11:45am and 3pm. Took my dog for a walk between 4:30 and 5:45pm. My ****meter said 11,435. However, said ****meter does not work all that well, so I'm not sure I trust it. I know I covered a minimum of 10km.

MilesAway
06-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Forgot to post yesterday, but it wasn't a great day.

Can't recall exactly, something like this:
-Wholegrain bread with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, multigrain bagel, carrot sticks
-Banana bread, chicken, carrot sticks
-Chicken, multigrain bagel
-Banana, chocolate soymilk

Ball hockey game somewhere in there.

Today:
-Multigrain bagel, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, carrot sticks, apple
-Salmon, banana bread, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, multigrain bagel, banana

Something like that. Two crappy days.

Today's "workout":

-5 minute warm-up on elliptical followed by circuits (5 of them)

Each circuit consists of:
-10 jumping jacks
-10 burpees
-10 crunches
-10 opposite elbow to knee crunches
-10 leg wipers (not sure the exact name, lay down on back put legs straight up in air, rotate them down to ground on one side, rotate them back up, repeat for other side, that's 1 rep)
-10 push-ups
-10 jump squats
-10 mountain climbers (left foot, then right foot, that's 1)

30 seconds rest, and do it all over again.

10 minutes on elliptical again.

natescope
06-08-2007, 07:18 PM
good luck, i'd suggest not set yourself any time table for your desired results, just so your diet doesn't get extreme

MilesAway
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Today:
-Twelve grain bread with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, twelve grain bread, carrots
-Salmon, bagel, apple
-Banana bread, 2 maple cookies
-Salmon, Twelve-grain bread with peanut butter, apple, carrots, chocolate soymilk

I feel like a blimp. Spent a half hour in the bathroom barfing the banana bread and cookies. God, I hate myself. No self-control, can't follow a diet, can't follow a proper exercise plan.

Walked 10km, slacked off, could've done more. Should've gone to the gym, should've done something more than I did. Instead I sat at home and stuffed my face.

I don't know if I want to weigh in on Monday or not. Considering my mental state, it might not be such a great idea.

yioti
06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
wow?" you barfed up all that good food. im sure people have told you this but there is an eating disorder group on this site. you might want to check that out. ALso, eating burns calories which is what you want. by eating you actually burn calories. try to keep telling yourself that. its just one day, if you don't feel like weighing in then don't bother if you do thats great. i doubt 1 day is gonna mess your whole entire week up. btw i looked at your pics and all i have to say is your hawt! lol so EAT! and you will get to where you want.

MilesAway
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
So, I did weigh in. The scale said 136. Ugh.

Today:
-Twelve-grain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Rice Krispie square with trail mix in it
-Chicken breast, grapes
-Chicken breast, twelve grain bagel, apple
-Salmon, grapes, twelve-grain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Protein shake post-workout (banana, whey protein, soymilk, oats, wheat bran, almond flour, mixed berries)

Workout (kind of light, have 2 games tomorrow, want to have movement in the legs)
-7 minute warm up on stationary bike, heart rate up to 110 bpm
-Leg extension 3 X 10 (first set 40, 2nd 55, 3rd 70)
-Seated leg press 3 X 10 (1st 70, 2nd 110, 3rd 150, could definitely go higher)
-Chin-ups 3 X 10 (assisted, set pin at 80 for 1st set, then moved it to 70 for next 2)
-Front dumbbell squats 3 X 10 (15lb dumbbells)
-Lunges 3 X 10 (15lb dumbbells)
-Bicep curls 3 X 10 (10lb dumbbells)
-Single leg squats 1 set of 10 each leg, on bench, with 7.5lb dumbbell in each hand (slagged off here, these kill my legs.)
-Seated Row 3 X 10 (55)
-Back Extension 3 X 10 (1st set 55, next 2 at 70)
-Lat pull down 10-7-10 (at 70, 2nd set only managed 7 for some reason)

I'm still figuring out a lot of the machines at the gym, so I don't know how much weight to use (hence the seemingly random numbers). In a lot of cases, I just leave the pin where the last person left it, and go from there. Except for the leg press...The person before me left it at 40. I knew that would be easy, so I upped it to 70. That had no real challenge after the set of 10, so skipped the 90 and went to 110. Bit more challenging, but not overly so. Did 150, better, but could do more. Course, I'd already done my 3 sets of 10. I popped it up to 170 for fun, and did a set of 5 with relative ease. I'm curious how high I can go on that thing.

Didn't do much for the calves, so I'll hit those on Wednesday.

I'm moving into phase 2 of the program, which is more intense. Tomorrow is Triceps/chest/abs/shoulders, plus 2 games of hockey. I should also do some cardio. Oh fun times.

MilesAway
06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
-Prairie bran toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Rice Krispie square with trail mix, almond butter granola bar
-Salmon, apple, grapes
-Apple (pre-hockey, didn't have time for anything else)
-Post hockey: Toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk

I know I had 2 pieces of salmon, or at least more protein than I'm listing there...Hmm. Just can't remember the order. In any case. Add some salmon or chicken somewhere in there. That was basically my day.

Didn't get to the gym today because we had someone coming to assess the house, so had to clean like mad. So, once the cleaning was mostly done, it was too close to hockey to get there and back in time.

I watched tv and did push-ups, dips (hands on the couch, not perfect, but better than stuffing my face and doing nothing), crunches, overhead tricep extensions using a 10lb dumbbell we have (no idea where the other dumbbell is.) Also did a few woodchops with the dumbbell.

I know, nothing spectacular, but, it wasn't a total wash of a day.

Had 1 and a half games today. Half a ball hockey game (as a defense) and 1 ice hockey game. The ball hockey game was at 7 in the east end of town, the ice hockey game at 8:30 in the far west end, so had to leave the ball hockey game early. Still ended up rushing like mad to change.

Tomorrow: Actually do triceps/chest/shoulders/abs, cardio. One hockey game at night.

MilesAway
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I know what I was forgetting yesterday, the protein bar I had between the ball hockey and ice hockey games.

Today:
-Prairie bran toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, apple
-Post-workout protein shake (banana, soymilk, whey protein isolate, almond flour, oats, wheat bran, mixed berries)
-Salmon, Strawberry yogurt, chocolate soymilk
-Stone Milled Whole grain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk

Workout:
-7 minutes on stationary bike 110-120 bpm
-Dips 3 X 10 (assisted, 80, 70, 70)
-Dumbbell bench press 3 X 10 (10 lb dumbbell, need to up this next time)
-Dumbbell fly 3 X 10 (10lb)
-Overhead tricep extension 3 X 10 (10b)
-Russian twists with 5kg medicine ball 3 X 30
-Opposite elbow to knee sit-ups/crunches 3 X 20
-Leg wipers 3 X 10
-Push-ups 3 X 10
-Woodchops 3 X 10 per side, 12.5lbs
-Lateral shoulder raise 3 X 10, 12.5lbs
-Seated chest press machine 3 X 10 (25, 40, 40)
-Seated Shoulder press machine 3 X 10 (20, 20, 10, third set was too dead from everything else)
-Ab crunch machine 3 X 10 (65lbs)

MilesAway
06-14-2007, 05:13 PM
-Whole grain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, carrots
-Salmon, Vanilla yogurt
-Wholegrain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk, strawberry yogurt

Played ball hockey.

Took a day off from the gym today. Had way too many errands to run, didn't have the time. Supposed to do legs/back/biceps, which poses a problem for ball hockey. I'll end up with jell-o legs. I have another game tomorrow, so I guess I'll just do Back/Biceps tomorrow, or a scaled down legs routine.

I'm going to go hop on the bike for a while now. Or else do my circuits.

MilesAway
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
So, today was a scaled down gym day.

But first, the food:

-Oats and honey toast (we buy all these yummy tasting whole grain breads) with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk, raspberry yogurt
-Chicken breast, apple
-Salmon, Oats and honey toast, chocolate soymilk

Had an almond butter granola bar in there somewhere too.

Only three meals today...damn. That doesn't usually happen.

Went to the gym.

8 minute warm-up on bike, heart rate at 110bpm
-Chin-ups 3 X 10 (assisted, first set at 70, 60, 60. Only managed 8 on the last, but proud of myself for moving up to 60, woot! Haha, I suck...)
-Front squats, 2 X 10, 10lbs dumbbells
-Lunges 2 X 10, 10lbs dumbbells
-Bicep curls 3 X 10 10lb dumbbells
-Seated rows 3 X 10 55lbs
-Lat Pull-downs 3 X 10 70lbs
-Leg Press 3 X 10 (170, 190, 210, tried 250 for a few reps for fun. Could do 250 for 3 X 10 next time)

Definitely an "easy" day. Not a whole lot of leg work because I have a game tonight. No single leg squats, leg extensions or real heavy stuff. Also, no cardio (I'm slacking) other than my usual walking everywhere.

Weighed in this morning, just to see. At 134 (again). Hoping to be at 132 by next week.

MilesAway
06-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Had a vodka-7 last night at the bar. First drink in ages (since November/December).

Today:
-Twelve grain bagel, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, salad, apple with vidalia onion dressing
-Steak, salad with apple and vidalia onion dressing
-Birthday cake (ugh, stomach is revolting)

No gym today. Off to the bar later (again) to dance the night away.

MilesAway
06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
-Whole wheat bread with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, apple
-Post-workout protein shake (banana, whey protein isolate, soymilk, oats, wheat bran, almond flour, mixed berries)
-Salmon, Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
-Banana yogurt, life cereal

Workout:
-40 minute walk to the gym (didn't feel like waiting for the bus, so walked in the heat)
-Dips 3 X 10 (assisted, 70, 60, 60)
-Russian medicine ball twists 3 X 30 with 5kg ball
-Opposite elbow to knee sit-ups/crunches 3 X 30
-Push-ups 3 X 10
-Dumbbell bench press 3 X 10 12.5lbs
-Overhead tricep extension 3 X 10 12.5lbs
-Dumbbell chest fly 3 X 10 10lbs
-Lateral shoulder raise 3 X 10 12.5lbs
-Shoulder press 3 X 10 10lbs
-25 minutes on stationary bike

MilesAway
06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
So, today sucked.
-Twelve grain toast with peanut butter, chocolate soymilk
-Chicken breast, yogurt, apple
-Life cereal, 2 chocolate granola bars, piece of birthday cake (then went and threw up)
-Post workout shake, same as always
-Salmon, life cereal

Workout
-7.5 minutes on stationary bike to warm up
-Close grip chin-ups 3 X 10 (assisted, 60)
-Wide-grip pull-ups, 2 X 10 (assisted, 90, 80)
-Did a couple more chin-ups at 50, just to see if I could (I can!)
-Dumbbell front squats 3 X 10 15lb dbells
-Stiff-legged deadlifts with 15lb dumbbells 3 X 10
-Lunges 3 X 10 15lb dbells
-Bent-over rows 3 X 10 (per side) 15lbs
-Dumbbell curls 3 X 10 10lbs
-Single leg split squats 3 X 10 per leg (7.5lb dbell each hand 1st, 10lb next 2)
-Leg press 3 X 10 (250, 270, 270)
-Seated row machine 3 X 10 (55, 55, 70)
-Wide grip lat pulldown 3 X 10 (40, 55, 70 at this point, too tired to muster anything more)

30 minutes on stationary bike (5 minute warm up, 20 minutes at 85% MHR, 5 minute cool down)

MilesAway
06-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Today sucked again. Seems like everything's falling apart for me right now.

Didn't write down what I ate. Wasn't all that great. The binge/purge episodes were life cereal and chocolate granola bars. I'm craving sugar and carbs. *bashes head into wall*

Workout
-7 minute warm-up on bike
-Dips, assisted (60) 3 X 10
-Russian medicine ball twists, 3 X 30
-Opposite elbow to knee crunches 3 X 30
-Push-ups 3 X 10
-Lateral raises (straight arm) 3 X 10 (first with 10lb dumbbell, elbows hurt, so used 7.5 next 2 sets)
-Over head tricep extension 3 X 10 12.5lb dumbbell
-Dumbbell benchpress 3 X 10 15lb dumbbells
-Bent-arm lateral raises (kinda like a chicken wing movement) 2 X 10 12.5lb
-Shrugs 2 X 10 at 20lbs, 2 X 10 at 25lbs

Played hockey, came home and hopped on the bike for 35 minutes.

Hotmoltenlava
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Today sucked again. Seems like everything's falling apart for me right now.

Didn't write down what I ate. Wasn't all that great. The binge/purge episodes were life cereal and chocolate granola bars. I'm craving sugar and carbs. *bashes head into wall*

I feel for you. I really do. I really hope that you are seeing professional help for the binge\purge episodes. There is not much that people here can do to help you with that. If you aren't seeing anyone, please do. If you are, I hope things get better for you. That is no way to go about your day.

Take care.

MilesAway
06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the support. At the moment, I'm not seeing anyone. I was referred to an eating disorder specialist once upon a time, but I was also screwing my life up with drugs back then, so they wouldn't help me. The waiting list now for any psychiatric help is at least 4-6 months. My doctor thinks I'm fine, so I don't want to bother her with it.

In any case, this past week-end was fun. It was a goalie clinic here. So, surprisingly, ate fairly well. Stayed in a hotel (a suite, so we had a kitchen).

Don't recall exactly, but Saturday and Sunday were basically the same:
-Whole wheat toast with peanut butter, soymilk
-Chicken salad with apple, yogurt (maybe 2 yogurts), carrot sticks
-Supper was either more chicken and whole grain bread with peanut butter or at the restaurant, Salmon fillet, salad and some fries
-Snacks were one of the following: apple, yogurt, carrots, chocolate soymilk, puffed wheat snack things

There was 11+ hours of ice time from Friday to Sunday (1 hour to goof around on Friday, 6 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday). Each of those ice times went over the alloted time, so it was more than that.

MilesAway
06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
So, food-wise, it still sucks. Could be hormonal, could be stress, I don't know. I'll live.

Yesterday's workout:
-7 minute bike warm-up
-Dips (assisted, 60) 3 X 10
-Dumbbell bench press 3 X 10 15lb dbells
-Overhead tricep extension 3 X 10 15lbs
-Medicine ball twists 5kg ball, 3 X 10
-Opposite elbow to knee 3 X 30
-Push-ups 3 X 10
-Bent-arm lateral raise 3 x 10 12.5lbs
-Standing shoulder press 3 X 10 10lbs
-Dumbbell fly 3 X 10 10lbs
-Shrugs 3 X 10 25lbs
-Woodchops 3 X 10 per side, 15lb dumbbell
-Chest press machine 3 X 10 (40, 40, 55)

25 minutes cardio on the bike (was hoping to do 45, but the gym was closing)

Today:
No workout as such, and not a great food day (again).
Played ball hockey, which was horrible considering it was at least 40 C (104 F) with the humidex. Brutal. It's like trying to breathe water.

Back to the gym tomorrow, can't slack off too much. Legs/back/biceps, plus some more ab work I think.

MilesAway
06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
No food log, but it wasn't a terribly bad day. Not a great day either though.

Workout:
-8 minute warm-up on stationary bike
-Front squats with 15lb dumbbells, 3 X 10
-SDL 3 X 10 15lb Dbells
-Lunges 3 X 10 15lb dbell
Squats, SDLs and Lunges are done as a circuit, with no rest between circuits.
-Chin-ups, assisted (60), 3 X 10 (only managed 8 on last set)
-Wide grip pull-ups, tried these for kicks, 1 set of 10 at 80.
-Single leg-squats, 3 X 10 per leg with 10lb dumbbells
-Bicep curls 3 X 10, 10lb dumbbells
Single-leg squats and bicep curls are a circuit.
-Bent-over rows, 3 X 10 per side 17.5lbs
-Calf raises 3 X 10 (22.5lb dbell first set, 25 next 2)
-Lat pull-down 3 X 10, 55
-Seated row 3 X 10, 70
-Leg press sets of 10 at each pin from 150 to 290, 2 sets at 290 (had issues last time, so went back to 150 and worked my way up. Now I'm confident and went past my previous best. I'm aiming for 310 next time. Woo!)

MilesAway
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
The workouts are still going, but the food aspect of my life...well, not going so well. I can eat mostly balanced meals, but something is triggering me to binge (my definition of binge) and purge afterwards.

Workout
-8 minute warm-up on stationary bike
-Dips, assisted (60lbs assistance), 3 X 10
-Dumbbell bench press, 3 X 10 15lb superset with over head tricep extension 3 X 10 15lb

Circuit: (no rest between exercises/sets)
-Russian medicine ball twists 3 X 30 5kg ball
-Push-ups 3 X 10

-Bent-arm lateral raise 3 X 10 12.5lb dumbbell
-Dumbbell fly 3 X 10 10lb superset with standing shoulder press 3 X 10 10lb
-Woodchops 3 X 10 per side (non-stop) 15lbs
-Shrugs 3 X 10 25lb dumbbell
-Tricep extension machine 3 X 10, 30lbs
-Ab crunch machine 3 X 10 (65, 80, 80)
-Chest press machine 3 X 10, 40lb (too tired to do 55)

MilesAway
06-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Today, no binge/purge (yet), but not great.

Workout:
-8 minutes on bike
-Dips (60lbs assistance), 3 X 10
-Dumbbell bench press, 1 set of 10 with 15lb dumbbells
-Overhead tricep extension, 1 set of 10 with 15lb dbell

Then went and did a group exercise class

Came back and did some more weights.
-Bench press (not sure what the bar weighs, it's not an Olympic bar) + 30lbs 3 X 10
-Skullcrushers 3 X 10 bar + 10lbs
-Shoulder press, 3 X 10, bar + 20
-Woodchops, 3 X 10 per side, 15lbs

Not a great workout, but not terrible either.

This was a different gym than the one I usually go to. I can use the barbells at my gym, but only in the group exercise room (ie, not on the benches with the free weights). So I'd have to bring an exercise ball in, or set up a half-assed bench using a step, which could work. In any case, the barbell seems to work a lot better for me than the dumbbells, because I have a hard time stabilizing the dumbbells.

I'm going to do some more ab work tonight. No more push-ups though, did those in group ex, my arms are dead right now.

MilesAway
07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Okay, so I didn't update the past few days.

Canada Day (July 1st): Didn't do much of anything. Relaxed, went out with my dog. The gym was only open for a few hours, the busses sucked. Did some circuit training at home.

July 2nd: Gym was closed, busses sucked. Had a job interview. Did some circuit training.

July 3rd: Was out running errands in the morning, then helped my cousin move. So 4 hours of carrying boxes and stuff up to the second floor. Didn't go the gym. It was supposed to be back/legs/biceps, but I think I worked more than just those. Got good cardio because it was the stairmaster from hell too. Moving is hard for me because of my short stature/short arms. Not so much the weight, but getting a grip on the box. My arms don't always reach, and the box is usual as big as I am. But hey, no complaints, I just twist and work the core too.
Played hockey in the evening.

Today, worked in the morning at my new job. Oh hooray for Burger King (gag, but whatever it pays me money for my gym membership and hockey fees, so I won't complain). Now I'm going to take the dog for a walk. Not sure about the gym since my arms are sore from carrying boxes. I'll probably go after hockey tonight. Or I may go quickly in a few minutes, just a short routine, nothing too strenuous.

Back to 137, which is good. I won't weigh in until Monday. Measurements and pictures on Friday.

Goals: 130 by July 30th
125 by September 4th

MilesAway
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been sick with a sinus infection, still am, but I've still been playing hockey.

My eating is back on track now. After falling apart last week, I've got my life in order (I've said that before, but it's in writing now...again).

Hit the gym yesterday for a pretty half-assed workout.

-8 minutes on bike to warm-up
-Dips 3 X 10 (assisted, 50)
-Bench press 3 X 10 (whatever the bar is, not oly + 40lbs)
-Dumbbell fly 3 X 10 (10, 12.5, 12.5)
-Over head tricep extension 3 X 10 (10, 15, 15)
-Med ball twists 3 X 30

Should've done the push-ups before the bench press, but hey. Did a few sets later in the evening, so 3 X 10 later.

Also, did a 4km run in the evening, and 20 minutes of stretching. I can palm the floor. Woo! (By that, I mean some people can touch their toes, others can firmly grasp their toes, I can put my palms flat on the floor without bending my knees)

MilesAway
07-23-2007, 07:35 PM
So last week I hit the gym twice and went running twice.

Hit the gym tonight, don't have my notebook handy, but I worked chest/triceps/shoulders/abs.

My eating is better. I stuffed myself with salad at supper. And 2 glasses of water.

Tomorrow will be legs/back/biceps, cardio (probably only 35 minutes though) because I have a ball hockey game in the evening.

I have a feeling I'll be kicking my own ass at the gym for the next while, just keeping my mind busy. My doctor found a lump in my breast during my physical today, so I have to go for an ultrasound, which could be a while depending on their availability. It's probably a cyst, nothing to worry about, etc, but I'll worry anyway.

MilesAway
07-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Another workout, nothing too spectacular.

Off-hand:
-Warm-up on the bike
-Chin-ups (lowered the assistance to 50)
-Front squats
-"The Bear"
-Lunges
-SDLs
-Bicep curls
-Leg press

I tried the lat pulldown, but I was too sore to do anything, so I considered my workout done for the day.

Then went home, had a good meal (chicken, whole grain bread with peanut butter, carrots and a glass of soy milk). Played ball hockey.

Now I just got home from ball hockey, having a banana and an apple. Going to do some serious stretching, then sleep.

Other than a couple cookies and a granola bar (doh!), I ate well today.

Hotmoltenlava
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I ate well today.

Excellent!

Keep it up.

Have a good one.

MilesAway
07-26-2007, 02:42 AM
So, I didn't get to the gym yesterday. I had some errands to run, each one being across the city from the other. Given that I rely on public transportation, my day was shot after work.

On the flip side, I ate well and played hockey. I also walked a decent amount, so it wasn't a total wash.

Today's plan:
-Continue to eat well
-Come home from work and nap (4 hours sleep = brutal)
-Go to gym, do chest/triceps/shoulders/abs
-Come home, go for run
-Be in bed early.

Not weighing myself till the 1st. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...We shall see I guess. Hopefully things haven't gone too far downhill.

MilesAway
08-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Wow, I have not had time to update this.

This was my week:

Every day was pretty much the same. I work at a hockey camp.

Up at 5 or a bit before.
Breakfast: Whole grain bread or bagel, soymilk (chocolate, yum) and fruit (banana or apple, maybe grapes)
On the bus by 5:55
At work by 7
Activities start at 8, could be on the ice, could be in the gym or outside with them.
Either an hour of swimming or half hour, depending if the swimming is right before hockey or not.
When kids are changing, I grab my snack (apple)
Go for next activity (hockey or outdoor or gym)
Lunch (sandwich or salad, fruit, yogurt for dessert. Water to drink)
Watch a movie/quiet time.
More activities (swimming, hockey, whatever)
Grab my next snack (usually a granola, nut-free of course)
Another activity.
Get changed for last hour of ice time with the goalies.

Pack everything in for the day. Hop on the bus, eat something on the bus, fall asleep and hope I don't miss my stop.

I'm working 11 hour days. I'm on the bus at 5:55, and by the time I leave work it's 6:35 or so. By the time I get home it's usually 7:45. I'm in bed by 9. I can't really get to the gym. I'm going to try and add in some circuits in the morning, as well as some cardio when I get home. We'll see how it goes.

Thy_Kingdom
08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Are you drinking enough water between breakfast and lunch? 11hr days, damn I have only one of those during the week and it's nuts. Much love; I'm off to vball myself, good progress so far and DON'T give up.

MilesAway
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm going to waste away with this job. Haha.

So, I'm writing this, then I'm going to hop on the bike for a few minutes, then stretch a lot. Then shower, then sleep.

Today: On the ice from 8-6. At work from 7-6:30.

Food-wise:
Breakfast: Twelve-grain bagel, banana, chocolate soymilk.
Lunch: Chicken breast sandwich (actual chicken breast, not deli), apple
Supper: BBQ chicken, Twelve grain bagel, chocolate soymilk, peanut butter granola bar

Snacks (I had several, between ice times):
-Yogurt (2 cups)
-Apple
-2 granola bars (1 s'mores and 1 chocolate chip, neither chocolate covered)

Okay, so the granola bars are bad, I know. Otherwise, I'm doing alright. And I'm pretty sure I'm burning most of the calories. No, I'm not going to count them, that just puts me in dangerous territory.

Tomorrow morning, I'll get up, do some circuits, stretch, and do it all over again. Fun times.

MilesAway
08-11-2007, 06:39 AM
So, the rest of the week went alright. More ice time, more snacks.

As always:
Breakfast: Whole grain bagel (either 12 grain or 7 grain), piece of fruit (usually banana) and glass of chocolate soymilk
Lunch: Chicken and apple salad, yogurt for dessert
Supper: Salmon or chicken, bagel, chocolate soymilk. Maybe a peanut butter or almond granola bar.

Snacks:
-2 apples
-2 granola bars
-1 yogurt

The whole time the kids are skating, I'm skating. The reason is that the goalies are usually complaining that they can't do the skating because they have goalie gear on. I wear my bottom half on the ice, so I show them that they can definitely do the skating drills, just slower.

So I'm basically wearing weights on my legs the whole day. Fun times.

MilesAway
09-05-2007, 01:31 PM
So, today was a bit of a newsflash as to how much I've changed in the past year or two. I'm down about 30-35lbs but this is where it showed the most.

I'm in the midst of varsity try-outs. Today was 2 hours of scrimmage, then about an hour and a half later, we had the run. 80 lengths of the football field. Two years ago, I tried out. My time (it's not really a timed event as such, it's more of a mental task, see how you persevere, if you quit, etc) then was 1 hour and 15 minutes. I walked a great deal of it.

Today, I did it in 50 minutes (maybe 51, not sure exactly). Didn't walk at all.

There's more fitness testing tomorrow, and more on-ice stuff. We have to do chin-ups. I'm going to suck horribly at those. If I do one, I'll be thrilled. lol.

In any case, that's my little bit for the day. Chopping 25 minutes off my 8km time, and still feeling like I could've trained harder.