PDA

View Full Version : My diet...good or bad?

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Please let me know any suggestions you may have.

First, my diet:

Meal #1: 3oz of grilled chicken on 2 pieces of 100% whole grain bread, 2 multi-vitamin pill
Meal #2: oatmeal, 2/3 cup of nonfat milk, scoop of ON whey
Meal #3: Apple with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
Meal #4: 3oz of ham with 2/3 cup of veggies (peas, corn, mushrooms)
Meal #5: 2/3 cup of cottage cheese with raisins, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
Meal #6: 3oz of ham
Drink: About a gallon of water a day

Next, my workout:

3 days a week- lifting for 40 minutes
3 days a week (not on lifting days)- running 2-3 miles

My goals: lose body fat while gaining a small amount of lean muscle. I am currently 5'9 and 170lbs. I am looking to get down to around 155lbs by the end of summer (I really wish I knew my BF%, I need to get that done soon!) With this diet/workout plan, will I have any problems reaching my goals? TIA

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
If I am doing something wrong, please let me know! I would like to make any corrections to help me lose weight.

Carnage
06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
it doesn't look like you're eating enough calories.

Try for 250-500 a day below what you need to maintain your weight.

This will allow you to lose 1-2 pounds a week depending upon if you increase cardio or not.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 01:03 PM
What would be a healthy way to increase my calories? I'm honestly full all day long!

Also, should I do cardio 4-5 days a week, instead of 3? Even on the days that I lift?

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hexx
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
it doesn't look like you're eating enough calories.

Try for 250-500 a day below what you need to maintain your weight.

This will allow you to lose 1-2 pounds a week depending upon if you increase cardio or not.

X2

It looks like you're eating >1300.

PS a meal must contain a complete protein. Sneak a little bit into everything... the apple + pb is a good snack but that's all.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
My problem is that I am FULL from this diet all day :(

What are some things I can add into my diet to up my calories without filling me up too much? I am seeing results from this diet, but I know I can improve it.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Remember guys, I am basically looking to lose body fat and get toned. I am not a body builder, and I'm not trying to look like Stallone in Rocky IV..

With that being said, will this diet/workout regime supply me with the means to lose body fat and tone up a bit?

somanybuttons
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
If by 'tone up' you mean gain muscle then no, because to build muscle you need to eat MORE than maintainance. And maintainance for you is NOT 1300cals (heck, that's not even maintainance for an inactive midget!...well, maybe) Infact, it's probably so far under that you will lose a lot of WATER weight at first, then your body will start to freak out about not getting enough food and hold on to EVERYTHING.

Like the other's said, find out your maintainance calories, then cut back by 250-500 OR increase your exercise a bit more, and things should start to happen :)

OneBetter
06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
If by 'tone up' you mean gain muscle then no, because to build muscle you need to eat MORE than maintainance. And maintainance for you is NOT 1300cals (heck, that's not even maintainance for an inactive midget!...well, maybe) Infact, it's probably so far under that you will lose a lot of WATER weight at first, then your body will start to freak out about not getting enough food and hold on to EVERYTHING.

Like the other's said, find out your maintainance calories, then cut back by 250-500 OR increase your exercise a bit more, and things should start to happen :)

good thing she responded before i did, cause she was much kinder then i would of been about the toned comment and not wanting to be too big. ;)

well put.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. What about the "burn more calories than you take in"?

As previously stated, I am looking to gain little amounts of muscle (if any). I am mostly looking to cut fat. I went from 198-170 in a few months, and look a lot leaner than previously. So, my guess is that what I am doing is working? I highly doubt I lost 30 pounds of water weight..

somanybuttons
06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't think you're getting results BECAUSE of what you're doing but rather IN SPITE OF...

If you want to continue doing what you're doing, then fine, do it, but you will eventually hit a wall. Not only that, but your body will start to consume its own muscle and you will become skinny-fat, which is not an attractive look.

But hey, you only asked for our advice and we only gave it to you, you don't have to listen, but don't expect much sympathy when you come back in a month with 'I keep eating less but I'm not losing, WTF do I do??'

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I am taking advice on this board very seriously when given to me. I added 2-3 "meals" as well as 28g of fat and 420 calories within the past week because of info given on this board.

What are some easy ways to put more calories in my diet without filling me up too much? Most things with high calories are also high in fat or carbs (non-complex).

somanybuttons
06-02-2007, 05:21 PM
You can probably afford to have more healthy fats in your diet, so if you want an easy way out then add some olive oil to meal 4. However, I think you're going to have to harden up at get your body used to consuming more since really you don't eat that much at all. It'll suck for the first week or so but you'll get used to it. Just increase your meals all a little bit, harden up and take it. It's not going to be easy - if getting things right was easy then everyone would be in perfect shape and eating well.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I really appreciate the help.

So I should add 2 tbsp of olive oil to meal #2? And just increase every other meal by a small amount?

somanybuttons
06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Basically - but I am still pushing for you to find out what your maintainance cals are and then cutting back a bit from that. However a word of warning - DON'T start getting obsessed with cal counts, it's not worth it - the human body is designed to deal with fluctuations and nless you're planning on competing I don't think it's really necessary.

google calorie calculators and have a look at a few - they'll all say around the same, but it's good to see a few different results..

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks again. I am currently filling in a chart and finding out how many calories I am taking in opposed to how many I should be.

I just bumped meal #5 up to a full cup of cottage cheese.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I found that I am eating around 1460 calories a day. My maint. calories are around 2500. So I should be eating around 1900-2000 calories a day to lose weight.

So basically, I need to add in 500 or so calories..

Does the above sound correct?

somanybuttons
06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
*sigh* I told you to google it... but here ya go

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girard2.htm - scroll down a bit

OR

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

My ballpark guess would be A LOT more than 1460..... I maintain at 2400-2600 and I'm a GIRL....

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I did google it. They told me my maint is 2500 cals, and weight loss is 2000 cals. I currently eat around 1,500 calories. So I need to add 500 cals in somehow. The 1 tbsp of olive oil will work, but I dont know where to get the other 380 cals from.

I am 5'9, 170 lbs.

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I was thinking of adding in 2 tsp ground flax seed for calories. Would the 2tsp of flax seed and the 1tbsp of olive oil be a good way to put the extra 500 cals that I need a day?

bkowa092
06-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I am currently making a new thread with my updated diet. Please move all comments over to that one.