PDA

View Full Version : Professionals and Cardio

beaner1
07-09-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm following the advise on here to get rid of a lot of my cardio to lean up for a video shoot at the end of August. It just goes against everything I've ever read from the pros., so I just think it's weird. I'm doing it though.

So why do fitness professionals like Monica Brant, Kelly Ryan....do two sessions of cardio a day, one being an hour in the morning and then again at night for about 45-60 mins each?

Diet is very important as well as weight which they do perfectly obviously...but then they're doing all this cardio which is you all advise against.

In my final month of training before the video, should I bump up the cardio as well?

MsFit
07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Cardio level depends on your stats and metabolism, also "supplementation". Pros can do more cardio due to muscle preserving supplements, not glutamine...

Fitness pros train for fitness contests specifically. This requires endurance, flexibility, and strength training. They combine many of these, such as cardio and endurance training, mixing routine practive with cardio, etc. These fitness girls eat a lot to support their training. They need the extra calories for it.

You can't necessarily follow what a pro says unless it's tailored to your needs and stats.

If you are doing tons of cardio and you lose muscle, then you have to back off and make adjustments. You want fat loss, not just weight loss in general, which is a loss of muscle and water.

Emoore
07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I think the magzine interviews with pros are, quite frankly, full of it. They'll say that they do 2 hours of cardio, an hour of weight training, and their routine practice every day. Then they say that they eat 1500-1600 calories. If I did that I'd be a catabolized dead person. But then again, I don't use "supplementation."

bscrusher
07-09-2004, 06:50 PM
pros like monica brant, etc, have very rare genetics, and have no other duties in life except their prep for contests. also those articles that are written are many times just pure s___.

hotgymchick
07-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Those girls did some serious weight training, not hours of cardio, to get bodies like that. All that cardio is for contest prep, like Ms. Fit said, a temporary thing.

imperfectly_lou
07-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Emoore
I think the magzine interviews with pros are, quite frankly, full of it. They'll say that they do 2 hours of cardio, an hour of weight training, and their routine practice every day. Then they say that they eat 1500-1600 calories. If I did that I'd be a catabolized dead person. But then again, I don't use "supplementation."

I fully agree.... And it's a shame that it makes us women think we have to do that much to look like that!

Thunder_Bunny
07-10-2004, 05:21 AM
I've posted this link before but I believe it makes a good point as to why those diets/routines you see in magazines are misleading.
Those diets are not kept up the entire year around.

http://www.stumptuous.com/fitnessmodel.html

nsouth
07-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Thunder Bunny thanks for posting thsi article. I've been reading Krista's site for a couple of years now but I had never read this article. Krista is the wallpaper on my computer and this site is the first one I turn to for inspiration, bitching, and good sensible tips. For anyone who hasn't had an opportunity to check out the site - do so now. You will go back again and again!

trnurbdy48
07-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Great article! Thank you for the link!

kerry
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
This article was so inspiring! If only teenaged girls read more things like this, instead of "how to lose that fat in one month", or "how to get thin in 10 days"! Reading this gives me hope that things are changing. Maybe by the time my 5yr old daughter is a teen, this attitude will be more prevelent....well, one can only hope!
Thanks for that link! I loved hearing that common sense-straight talk. So refreshing!