PDA

View Full Version : Needing A Higher G.I. PWO Carb?

CJRoman
07-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I've been doing the 0 carb protein shake + sweet potato combination for quite sometime. Seeing how sweet potatos are so nutrient dense, a serving that provides about 25g of carbs is (too me) very small and I am quickly hungry and light headed after consuming my PWO meal. Two hours later, after a meal, I feel better.

I recently switched to oatmeal post workout (.5 cup dry/25g carb) to give myself some more bulk to feel fuller longer. I understand the mechanism behind consuming high GI PWO in order to aid in protein delivery.....but, well.....being hungry and light headed just isn't fun. Would switching to an instant oatmeal PWO be a better option considering its higher GI or will regular oats do just fine?

Thanks,
CJ

playmaker
07-08-2004, 12:08 AM
a lot of competitors when they are getting ready for a show prefer regular meals after their weight training, something like chicken or tuna with potato or oats, maybe because of the low cals they feel fuller with real food than with whey/dextrose, to another board people have fibrous veggies with lean protein and some good fats. Personally go with whey/dextrose

imperfectly_lou
07-08-2004, 12:56 AM
I was also doing the oats post workout, but in an effort to get something a bit more high GI, I am now eating rice cakes with my protein shake. I don't want to do dextrose because I don't really agree with consuming straight sugar, and I could see myself being hungry again within 15mins.

Emma-Leigh
07-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by CJRoman
I've been doing the 0 carb protein shake + sweet potato combination for quite sometime. Seeing how sweet potatos are so nutrient dense, a serving that provides about 25g of carbs is (too me) very small and I am quickly hungry and light headed after consuming my PWO meal. Two hours later, after a meal, I feel better.

I recently switched to oatmeal post workout (.5 cup dry/25g carb) to give myself some more bulk to feel fuller longer. I understand the mechanism behind consuming high GI PWO in order to aid in protein delivery.....but, well.....being hungry and light headed just isn't fun. Would switching to an instant oatmeal PWO be a better option considering its higher GI or will regular oats do just fine?

Thanks,
CJ
This could mean a few things -

Firstly - having only 25g carbs post-workout may be too little for you if you are working out at a good intensity. How much do you weigh? What are your workouts like? Try increasing the amount of carbs you have post-workout and see if that helps.

Secondly - It sounds like your body is suffering from a lack of available glucose for your brain/body - rather than purely your muscles being 'hungry'. You can easily solve this by adding a moderate peice of fruit post-workout. This will supply your liver with a few grams of fructose and will act to stabalise your blood glucose. Something like a banana would work well as this also has a good level of starchy carbohydrates and glucose - which will help with muscle recovery. The potassium in the banana is also good after you sweat a lot.

Can you have dairy? Milk/yoghurt might be good as well - it has a high insulin index, which means it has a good glucose/amino acid shuttling effect and is therefore good at stimulating anabolism for muscle growth and is great for recovery.

Maybe go for something like a bowl of instant oats with a banana and some skim milk?

(just on a side note - whey protein does a good enough job of shuttling itself into your muscle cells in the post-workout time frame - both because in this post-workout period there is non-insulin dependant nutrient uptake and also because whey protein stimulates insulin by itself... The reason why you want carbs post-workout is because they restore muscle glycogen, aid recovery, decrease cortisol and stimulate anabolism).