PDA

View Full Version : Considering running a 5k

Turbo6PGT
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
My buddy and his sis do this local 5k marathon for charity every year and I want to try it. The question is will my body handle it haha. Im 26 and while Im not in the out of shape crowd I am not a very physically active person. Right now Im bulking for mass and my routine doesnt involve hardly any cardio. I shoot hoops every day just as an excuse to not be sitting at the computer. But I dont think that qualifies me to run an endurance race. My friend says they usually complete it in about 28 minutes. I think 5 kilometers is like 3.3 miles or something like that. That being said their pace isnt all that bad for 30 year olds. That would be about 9 minutes per mile. Im sure their first mile was 7 minutes or so and the second two were slower due to being winded.

ANYWAY the point is Im scared to jump into this. I do like the idea of accomplishing it and saying I did it. Im just not sure how to properly prepare for the event. Its in July so I have some time to work up to it. Would the best idea be just start jogging every other day and build up enough tolerence that I can endure 30 minutes of it?? Like I said Ive never done anything like this, at least not since 8th grade when I did some track stuff. Even then I wasnt a runner, my best mile was 5:12 if I recall correctly. And that was me pushing as hard as I could for 4 laps on the track until I about died lol. So if anyone has any nutritional advice as to how to hydrate myself properly and eat the right kinds of foods that will allow my body to run longer it would really help. Sorry this was so long. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

sugicalmike
05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
You should definitely start puttin some miles on your feet.... The big thing when I started running again was building up a tolerance to running distance. I weigh in at 254lbs. so I can't just hop out on the road after a month of nothing and go for it... If you fail to start pacing yourself for a distance run you are going to get shin splints like a mother and possibly stress fractures in your legs and feet. I run a couple of 5k's every now and then, and I just try to do my best with what I can handle.
Lots and lots of potassium and stretching too.... when you start running you're going to need to keep your muscles ready for cramping. Thats the worst part... as far as diest and what not goes, a standard diet shouldnt need to much alteration for a 5k, now were you competing in an actual marathon of 28 miles or so... then you'd need to modify that sucker. Just make sure you have enough carbs to burn and don't eat a high density food that'll bog you down before breakfast. (my advise, stay away from eggs pre-race.)

Good luck man! Let us know what your times are:)

trivium9
06-01-2007, 08:50 AM
It definetly alot of fun. When is the race. A 5K is 3.1 miles and marathon is 26.2 miles.
If you are alittle removed from running the best way to get back into it would be some interval training. Say run 1 mile walk .5 run 1 walk .5 something to that effect and vary the distances you run. I run alot of races and finish right around 27-28 minutes. I drink over 1.5 gallons of water a day and stay away from junk food
Stretching is very important along with not running to much to begin. Run every other day to start, once you get aclimated to this then start to make the distances alittle longer and add a short speed day

Turbo6PGT
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Whats nice is there's an alotment down the street and its exactly one mile around the block. So thats a fairly easy way to train for it. This is a race around a town on the streets and there are some hills but the alotment Im going to train in also has some very steep hills, all good things! I'll keep at it and let you guys know how I do. Its not till July so I have a while to go yet.

Mr. Chainsaw
06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
5K really isn't that far and it's a good distance to start with. My first organized run was an 8K, and I was scared at first because I've never run that far in my entire life. I started running 3 times a week about a month before the race. I ran the whole thing, which was my only goal, and came in like 2334th place out of about 3500 people. My next run is another 8K on the 16th, and then a half marathon on Labor Day weekend. I'm up to 8.5 miles, which I ran today, and I only run twice a week.