PDA

View Full Version : Are fruits bad for fat loss and cutting?

TheSleeper
07-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Are certain ones good?
Please let me know the deal with fruits, and yogurt for that matter.

TDK
07-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Most fruit and natural fruit juices, including apple, berries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew, oranges, pears, grapes, peaches, will cause a minimal increase in blood suger level so they are good for someone cutting, plus they provide a great deal of antioxidant's which can help to greater muscle retention.

Some fruits to be avoided are:
Pineapple, raisins, watermelon, fruit juices sweetened with sugar, as they may cause an insulin spike which can trigger fat storage.

Plain yogurt or fruited yogurt are also a very good choice for someone who is dieting/cutting, although i think all yogurt tastes like ass.

However, if your on a ketogenic diet, CKD etc... fruits should be avioded.

I.B.V.King
07-05-2004, 03:07 PM
how can yogurt be good? have you looked at the ingredients? its FULL of sugars and carbs... i dont think ive tasted 'plain' yogurt but its bound to taste like ****... personally id go with milk... and most fruits are ok, they have fiber which slows down their digestion and their impact on blood sugar is therefore lower... i try to have an apple a day

TDK
07-05-2004, 03:26 PM
true, but yogurt is a very low GI carb, so you there will be very little increase in blood suger level.

bakers11
07-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I have used yogurt and fruits throughout my weight loss in moderation. I have yogurt and fruit every day. I have lost 120 pounds. I would condsider that successful weight loss with fruit and yogurt in the mix.

TDK
07-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Big time congrats on your phenomenal weightloss, and hope the best for you in the future, 120lbs, that's awesome.

johnnyironboard
07-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by bakers11
I have used yogurt and fruits throughout my weight loss in moderation. I have yogurt and fruit every day. I have lost 120 pounds. I would condsider that successful weight loss with fruit and yogurt in the mix.
Great job.

Bily Lovec
07-06-2004, 04:09 AM
yes the label on yogurt says lots of sugars, but learn the benifits of lactose, buy plain yogurt and add splenda or some of the newer carb free /fat free yogurts, those are good, no added sugars... but all fat free dairy products are fantastic.. dont be so parinoid.

Saeedy
07-06-2004, 05:27 AM
I dont mean to call you out TDK but you are mistaken when you say watermelon is a fruit that should be avoided. Although watermelon has a high GI it has a very minimal impact on blood sugar levels it is an excellent fruit for anyone to eat whether they are cutting or bulking.

LuckyThir13
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Oh great..well this sucks. I am cutting and have been eating a good amount of watermelon lately. ****.

RadStar
07-06-2004, 03:40 PM
ok grapes are ok..... what about bananas??

those are the only 2 fruit i eat

16/M/WA
07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
hmm yea

Legend Zero
07-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by RadStar

Bump on that..

LuckyThir13
07-06-2004, 10:31 PM
So if I am cutting should I continue to eat watermelon or try and stay away from it?

AequitasVeritas
07-07-2004, 12:09 AM
stay away from the watermelon. Go with low fat yogurt. Some good Fruits are apples,oranges,bannanas, or peaches.
All those fruits are good sources of carbs and they are rich with nutrients.

champs
07-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Whilst yohgurt has a low GI this doesn't give a accurate picture of it's true effects. Dairy products (including yohgurt) create a insulin response that far exceeds what you would expect from their GI rating. Milk is especially effective at spiking insulin, great pre/post workout, people claim that it slows absorption and it does it a limited extent but this is really irrelevant it's more than worth it for it's insulin spiking properties.

bakers11
07-07-2004, 04:19 AM
The typical half cup of yogurt is not going to wildly increase insulin levels.

imme elecjet
07-07-2004, 08:45 AM
hell no lets fruits are fine who cares about that fructose sugar crap eat protein with it it will balance out

Romac
07-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by TheSleeper
Are fruits bad for fat loss and cutting?

yep:

From an interview with Kelly Ryan:

Q. What are your views on fruit consumption? Is it possible to eat fruit instead of complex carbs and still get the same weight loss result? I quit eating fruit at around 4:00 in the afternoon, and put it all in my protein shakes. I love fruit so much and do not want to give it up, but also want a leaner look. What can I do?

A. I have to be very honest with you and tell you that for me fruit doesn't allow me to obtain the same result if I eat it and when I take it out of my diet. I almost never eat fruit when I am dieting for a show, and that is when I have to be my leanest. Fruit doesn't allow your body to burn fat. Eating fruit spikes your insulin levels, and triggers your brain to keep thinking that you're hungry, and causes the pancreas to secrete more insulin promoting fat storage and not fat loss.

Slide
07-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Fat-free yogurt is fine. You need the calcium anyway for cutting. Calcium promotes fat loss.

bakers11
07-07-2004, 10:11 AM
The quote from Kelly Ryan is too simplified and far too specific for the general population on this board. Fruit is fine while cutting for a majority of the people concerned with losing weight. I do conceed that to "optimize" fat loss for competitive bodybuilding it may become necessary to eliminate fruits all together. This idea though should remain in the competition cutting routines, not for general fat loss.

The generalizations made by Ryan are also extremely oversimplified as there are many fruits with low GI values. All berries and apples for instance have very low GI valiues, with such small amounts of fructose in them. They also have high amounts of fiber in them which further enhances the low impact on blood sugar levels.

This is a classic discussion on these boards, do a search to learn more as there are already many posts that argue this to death. Both sides have good points IMO, but personally I think the advantages fruits offer far outweigh any potential fat storage that may occur, especially when someone is in a negative caloric intake.

DeezGst
07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
MODERATION. :-)

I eat 1 peice of fruit everyday...generally post workout. Hasn't stoped me from loosing weight obviously.

Derek

johnnyironboard
07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Romac
yep:

From an interview with Kelly Ryan:

Q. What are your views on fruit consumption? Is it possible to eat fruit instead of complex carbs and still get the same weight loss result? I quit eating fruit at around 4:00 in the afternoon, and put it all in my protein shakes. I love fruit so much and do not want to give it up, but also want a leaner look. What can I do?

A. I have to be very honest with you and tell you that for me fruit doesn't allow me to obtain the same result if I eat it and when I take it out of my diet. I almost never eat fruit when I am dieting for a show, and that is when I have to be my leanest. Fruit doesn't allow your body to burn fat. Eating fruit spikes your insulin levels, and triggers your brain to keep thinking that you're hungry, and causes the pancreas to secrete more insulin promoting fat storage and not fat loss.

The vast majority of the people at these forums are not dieting for a contest.

jetspeedz
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by RadStar

so are bananas ok.. i eat about 3 a day

bakers11
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
As long as those bananas, or any other fruit, fit into your planned caloric intake/percentages they are fine. As said before its about moderation and planning.

nicholtl
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Oh my god this is getting nuts. Too much of anything will kill you, and moderation is the key to everything. That's an understatement. There are so many benefits to fruit, whether it be lowering risks of heart disease, certain types of cancer, all the antioxidants they possess, and scientists are constantly finding new benefits to eating fruit. A diet rich in fruit is essentialy for a healthy life, and anyone who tells you not to eat fruit simply for the sake of "cutting" is ignoring the big picture.

jetspeedz
07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
yea i dont see the need to give up all the benefits of fruit in order to get my bf down even more.. sometimes you have to be willing to think in the long run and your health then looking lean and losing fat...

cobraman1994
07-07-2004, 08:47 PM
fruit is an important part of any diet. fruit is good for you. nuff said. eat healthy and you will lose weight. im dropping weight like crazy and i eat fruit yogurt, apples, oranges, cantelope, grapes, peaches, strawberrys...all of it.