PDA

View Full Version : 22 year old - fat on chest

beammeup
05-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Ever since I was a kid all I did was sit around on the computer. I was never active. I'm currently 22, and 5'10 and weigh 157 lbs. I'm skinny everywhere on my body except for my chest and my belly. I'm so skinny on my arms that my hand overlaps my wrist.

I have this fat on my chest and its starting to look like i have boobs. lol. Its been like this for years but never this bad. I'm getting fatter in my belly area too...but Im still skinny everywhere else. its weird.

I'm starting to get serious about my health and I have changed my eating patterns. I'm eating a lot healthier and more frequently (somewhere around 2000 calories a day) and I'm planning on getting a gym membership soon.

I just want to know what the best way to lose fat on my chest is. Should I focus on losing the fat there first, before building muscle? I don't wanna start weight training and then have my chest blow up even more, but with muscle. I'm just getting frustrated, I don't know what to do first.

I'll also add...I don't want to get too big, just lean and tone. And i would rather not have surgery for the man boob thing...if possible.

can someone give advice?

Thanks

ScottC
05-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Post up a picture if you can. It will give us a better idea of where you are at.

philip41
05-31-2007, 05:24 AM
I just want to know what the best way to lose fat on my chest is. Should I focus on losing the fat there first, before building muscle?

Hi, sadly you cannot spot reduce(choose where to loose it from) fat from one spot, the only way is to 1) get your diet spot on and stick to it. 2) start doing steady paced cardio 60-70% MHR(HIIT if your fitness leves will allow) 3) start lifting weights this will help with the fat loss, plus it will help keep your lean body mass, if your diet is right.

Good luck.

P.S post up your typical daily diet and the amounts.

aheineken
05-31-2007, 05:59 AM
Hi, sadly you cannot spot reduce(choose where to loose it from) fat from one spot, the only way is to 1) get your diet spot on and stick to it. 2) start doing steady paced cardio 60-70% MHR(HIIT if your fitness leves will allow) 3) start lifting weights this will help with the fat loss, plus it will help keep your lean body mass, if your diet is right.

Good luck.

P.S post up your typical daily diet and the amounts.

Exactly what he said. I was in a similar position not too long ago, except I was about 190lbs. My fat was concentrated in my belly and chest. I just started eating right, lifting weights, and doing cardio. That fat was eventually replaced with muscle.

gitarkat
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
You dont have to have surgery, Declines, One armed flys, push ups (A LOT) and HIIT this is all currently working for me. your not going to "get big" like arnold schartezwhatever so don't worry about doin them.... just diet and exercise kat daddy

Heatmiser
05-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Remember: First on, Last off - Where you first gain bodyfat is the last place it drops off when you get lean.

If you are dieting and you still have fat in a certain area, you will have to get even leaner to lose it.

amjzzz
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I started off at 5'10 and 170 lbs, high fat low muscle. Sounds like you have a similar body type to me. I've been working out for almost 5 years and my hands still can circle my wrist, that really has more to do with frame than anything else.

If you have very low muscle mass, which it sounds like you do, you are probably greatly underthinking how much fat you have. The best thing I can say about your chest is to try to get over it (that was hard for me to do). I store a lot of fat on my chest and it's really lose-lose until you get pretty lean. If you don't workout chest your chest has bad shape and is very soft and jiggly. If you workout chest your chest gets bigger, nipples tend to stick out more, but has much better shape and hardness.

And no one has ever accidently woken up huge.

beammeup
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.

My diet from the age of 13+ has consisted of mainly fast food, chinese/japanese food, and random junk through out the day. And I've never really exercised at all.

I read some articles on the site about calorie intake, I realize you have to reduce calories but I'm pretty sure my metabolism is shot right now. For the past week or so I've adapted the "eat 5 meals" a day thing, and I'm going to be doing the Body For Life thing soon.

I'm not an expert, but based on what I've read online I need to consume 2000-2300 calories a day. So for the past week or so I've been sticking with that and eating healthy small meals 5 times a day. I make sure each meal is around 400 calories...and I've been eating grilled chicken, tuna, raw vegi's, granola, whole grain products, hard boiled eggs, yogart, fruit, cottage cheese...etc. Does this diet seem okay?

I'm also limited to push ups, crunches and anything I can do at home...until i get a gym membership.

- I'll try and post some pics up tomorrow.

beammeup
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
One more thing.

Some of the meals (esp when eating raw vegi's) naturally have very low calories, and I've been making sure I eat at least 400 calories per meal. Sometimes is feels like Im eating more than I should...since I have to eat more to get the calories I think i need.

I've always had a small appetite...I'm pretty much used to the "eat 5-6" meals a day thing...only i was doing it with junk food before.

philip41
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Your choice of foods looks very good, the only thing i would drop from that list is the "yoghurt" too much sugar, IMO.

You seem to have a good grasp on the meals side now atleast, and there is nothing wrong with "body weight " exercises until you get a gym membership.

What and when are you doing cardio?

beammeup
05-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Your choice of foods looks very good, the only thing i would drop from that list is the "yoghurt" too much sugar, IMO.

You seem to have a good grasp on the meals side now atleast, and there is nothing wrong with "body weight " exercises until you get a gym membership.

What and when are you doing cardio?

Thats the only thing I haven't been able to figure out yet. lol.

I've been trying jumping jacks, dancing around the house, jogging...but I can't seem to get my heart rate up.

Any advice?

I should be able to afford a gym membership next month, im just trying to get the ball rolling.

philip41
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Do you have a heart rate monitor? or do you guess you HR. I do AM fasted cardio, judge your output this way, if you can perform a conversation and just feel slightly out of breath then that should be enough effort to burn the fat and hopefully spare the muscle loss.

Have you got a bicycle? if so go for a 40-45 min ride.

beammeup
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Do you have a heart rate monitor? or do you guess you HR. I do AM fasted cardio, judge your output this way, if you can perform a conversation and just feel slightly out of breath then that should be enough effort to burn the fat and hopefully spare the muscle loss.

Have you got a bicycle? if so go for a 40-45 min ride.

I've been guessing my heart rate. I've been reading about the fasted cardio...I think I'm gonna try that out. Time to dig out my bike!!

I'm confused on the sugar thing. I stay away from refined sugars and stuff...is it okay to eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day? I've been eating a banana and apple a day...sometimes grapes. And the yogurt I'm using has 19g of sugar per serving...I guess I should just ditch yogurt though?

But yeah, for the most part...I didn't know eating healthy was so easy...I'm like always full eating like this..with no desire for junk. I wish I learned this stuff a long time ago.

Kraftydog
06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
if you have disproportionate chest fat, and from your description you definitely do, then topical yohimbine (reccomend yohimburn es) is the way to go.

of course, you will still have to cut cals, it will just help you lose the stubborn estrogenic fat.