PDA

View Full Version : Running form correction

flateric
05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
So I have noticed lately that when I run, I have a heavy foot strike. I am landing sort of flat. My arches are sort-of low, so that may be part of the problem, but they're really not that bad, and I'd like to think my problem is correctable.

How would I go about improving my strike so I roll off my heel better instead of landing flat?

I assume this is correctable?

SDOptimist
05-31-2007, 01:14 AM
yes running form is very correctible, it just take practice and possible time.

you want to run on the balls of your feet, your arch area and heels should never touch the ground. however this is more of a track form. for sports like football, bball, basketball, etc, its different, but you should still run of the balls of your feet, ofcourse in those sports you are constantly changing direction, jumping, stopping. but even then, dont get flat footed, it can screw things up. when actually sprinting, you should run on the balls of your feet.

now for the upperbody, dont swing from your elbows, dont swing across your body. swing from your shoulders and your arms should be at an L shape and stay that way and swing from the shoulders.

farzamk
05-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Yes what is said above is correct ^^^.

However you cannot just try and do this when you run and expect to be doing it come game time/competition. You need to add in 10 minutes at least to EVERY workout, technique sprinting drills called A's and B's. Basic high knee exercises and let me know if you don't know what they are.

Once doing these drills you always remain on the balls of your feet and you want to lightly but powerfully strike down.

On top of that add in run offs for about 20m maintaining the light/powerful foot strike and high knee lift and also staying on balls of your feet. The run off follows 20m of the drill you just did.

SDOptimist
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=farzamk;47345891]However you cannot just try and do this when you run and expect to be doing it come game time/competition. You need to add in 10 minutes at least to EVERY workout, technique sprinting drills called A's and B's. Basic high knee exercises and let me know if you don't know what they are.[QUOTE]

ya ofcourse, that while i said it takes time and practice. it took me a while to get my form down and start down for the 40 and 100m. but ya A and B skips are very good, did them all the time. B skips are more difficult, they are the next step after A skips. A skips are just high knee skips, and then B skips are high knee skips but with the extension of your lower leg and it slaping at the ground. this is suppose to help with your lowerd body running form. and also, just sit down on the ground with your legs and feet infront of you and start swing your arms as if you are running. but remember the form. dont swing from the elbos, swing from the shoulders. your arms should be at an L shape and should stay that way the whole time and dont cross your body.

olinerules87
05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
yes running form is very correctible, it just take practice and possible time.

you want to run on the balls of your feet, your arch area and heels should never touch the ground. however this is more of a track form. for sports like football, bball, basketball, etc, its different, but you should still run of the balls of your feet, ofcourse in those sports you are constantly changing direction, jumping, stopping. but even then, dont get flat footed, it can screw things up. when actually sprinting, you should run on the balls of your feet.

now for the upperbody, dont swing from your elbows, dont swing across your body. swing from your shoulders and your arms should be at an L shape and stay that way and swing from the shoulders.

great job there man-reps to you
I want to add that your upper body should not be tensed up. relax your shoulders, neck and face. Tightending these muscles and having that weird intense face while you run will not help you