PDA

View Full Version : Do oats/oatmeal contain gluten?

bluefizzure
05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Okay, i've done a lot of searching online, and some sites say oats/oatmeal contain gluten, some say they don't, and some say they don't but are usually processed in manufacturing facilities that also process gluten-containing grains (like wheat) therefore they are not gluten free...

Can anyone help me out? I'm gluten intolerant but enjoy oatmeal. :)

BabyBodybuilder
05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay, i've done a lot of searching online, and some sites say oats/oatmeal contain gluten, some say they don't, and some say they don't but are usually processed in manufacturing facilities that also process gluten-containing grains (like wheat) therefore they are not gluten free...

Can anyone help me out? I'm gluten intolerant but enjoy oatmeal. :)

Because oats are grown, stored, transported in bulk, they may contain trace amounts of wheat, rye and barley. USDA grain standards allow a certain percentage of other grains to be present in the oats. Therefore, gluten may be found in oats, even if very small amounts of these other grains are present.

grapemaster
05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
if you are only "intolerant" you are probably fine with the little bit in oats, if you are celiac you might wanna get certified gluten free oats or just avoid grains altogether.