PDA

View Full Version : Plyometric or Strength power for Vertical?

QuicksandATL
05-30-2007, 06:47 PM
If one would be chosen over the other, which would have an effect on your vert to more of an extent, someone with good plyometric efficiency but only being able to squat your body weight, or someone with average plyometric efficiency but who could squat 1.75-2x their body weight? Who would have a better vertical?

farzamk
05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Plyometrics. Try having a powerlifter who can squat 600 and weighs 240 do a vertical...

Having the fast twitch fibers contract under immense pressure and force is what you want.

That being said, you still need to be doing all those lifts.

aaaaa55555
05-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Plyometrics. Try having a powerlifter who can squat 600 and weighs 240 do a vertical...

Having the fast twitch fibers contract under immense pressure and force is what you want.

actually, i read about a lot of olympic lifters who have 40+ inch verts.

granted you were talking about power lifters, that still shows the importance of lifting especially olympic lifting for that explosivness on 40s and verts.

hvit
05-30-2007, 08:20 PM

What type muscle fibers does a squat work...?

Have you seen Benedikt Magnusson jump? He's definitely got a 30"+ vertical...

Make sure you aren't doing plyometric training constantly, stick to 4 week blocks. Also keep the ground contacts to under 40 per session.

roman25
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I think the guy picked the plyo one was becasue the guy was doing the movement he was trying to get better at. i mean i picked the same one but now that i rethink it i say there about equal in terms of just straight vertical but the one who is doing the plyos will be doing it more smoothly and therefore be able to better use that vertical in a given situation.

DtotheJtotheH
05-30-2007, 09:24 PM
If you were to only do one, I would say olympic lifts. Thise are very fast movement and extremley explosive. However in relaity you can do both, which is oviously the smart thing to do.

farzamk
05-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Plyos are also overtime teaching the neuromuscular system how to jump high. But I never said don't do lifts, it's just partially plyos have a more importance.

Squats/Olympic Lifts/Plyos are the way I work with people who are looking to increase their vertical who come t me in their off season to get fast/conditioned.

QuicksandATL
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM

Isn't the world record holder of the standing broad jump Arne Tvervaag the powerlifter from Norway?

And I'm really trying to figure out if I should add plyos into my routine. I play about 5 hours of basketball a week (2 days), I'm wondering if a day of plyos would be beneficial. I'm DLing my 5rm once every week and heavy squats every workout I don't DL, so I squat 3 times then I DL once.

What do you guys think?

DtotheJtotheH
05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Isn't the world record holder of the standing broad jump Arne Tvervaag the powerlifter from Norway?

And I'm really trying to figure out if I should add plyos into my routine. I play about 5 hours of basketball a week (2 days), I'm wondering if a day of plyos would be beneficial. I'm DLing my 5rm once every week and heavy squats every workout I don't DL, so I squat 3 times then I DL once.

What do you guys think?

adding plyos couldn't hurt...