PDA

View Full Version : anyone do weight watchers?

Marie
07-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Weight watchers has helped me to loose weight before, but now i want to look toned and not just skinny.. can i sucessfully get toned with enough gym time while on ww or would my calories be to low to have muscle gains? Anyone know this diet?

Girlie
07-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I believe weight watcher's has "exercise points" that help you account for the amount of time you spend in the gym. The idea is that you still end up with a total of X number of points, but it's # of points you eat - #of of exercise points.

wannabenew
07-06-2004, 03:32 PM
I started WW back in mid Nov. I wanted to lose around 20-25 lbs. After I lost the first 14, the weight stopped coming off. So I upped my exercise and my weight training. Nothing. Not a pound lost since. My clothes are loose but I want rid of this last bit of weight.

I don't know if the WW plan isn't allowing for enough calories through out the day or if I'm simply not eating the right combination.

A lady I work with lost her 40+lbs. and never did much in the way of exercise until the last leg of her weight loss.

I am completely stumped. I'm going to watch this thread for advice

littleteapot
07-09-2004, 01:02 PM
I did WW a year or so ago, lost 20 pounds with no exercise. I went off and gained some weight back, went back on it and could not lose an ounce. I finally counted my calories as well as the points, and realized I was eating about 900-1000 calories a day. No wonder I wasn't going anywhere. I've realized that WW is all about teaching you portion control...any diet that allows you to eat a piece of cake as long as you have the points for it...that is not a long-term solution. I think it is best for people who don't know how much food they should eat at a sitting, or know how to watch what they eat.

Yeah, it does promote a high-fiber, low-fat lifestyle, but that just gets people (myself included) to buy those "whole-wheat" buns with wood chips added in order to raise the fiber and decrease the points. It's a lot of cheating the system in order to eat more. Excersize points are added in order to get people to earn more points, but I think in some ways it is not giving you enough, especially if you are building muscle. I think something like lifting weights for 1/2 hour probably earns you 1-2 Actvity Points (without fiber & fat, that is a whopping 50-100 calories extra. You're now eating 1100 calories!)

Meatie*V
07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by littleteapot
I did WW a year or so ago, lost 20 pounds with no exercise. I went off and gained some weight back, went back on it and could not lose an ounce. I finally counted my calories as well as the points, and realized I was eating about 900-1000 calories a day. No wonder I wasn't going anywhere. I've realized that WW is all about teaching you portion control...any diet that allows you to eat a piece of cake as long as you have the points for it...that is not a long-term solution. I think it is best for people who don't know how much food they should eat at a sitting, or know how to watch what they eat.

Yeah, it does promote a high-fiber, low-fat lifestyle, but that just gets people (myself included) to buy those "whole-wheat" buns with wood chips added in order to raise the fiber and decrease the points. It's a lot of cheating the system in order to eat more. Excersize points are added in order to get people to earn more points, but I think in some ways it is not giving you enough, especially if you are building muscle. I think something like lifting weights for 1/2 hour probably earns you 1-2 Actvity Points (without fiber & fat, that is a whopping 50-100 calories extra. You're now eating 1100 calories!)

I was on WW and lost but then I started calorie counting with the point system and figured out that for 22 pts which was my regular target points for the day I was only eating 1100-1200 cals. Not good at all! My RMR is 1550 which doesn't include activity. But in the good side, if I didn't join WW I never would have learned about portion control and making healthy choices. Eating healthy has now become a lifestyle for me and I am currently weening off the WW points system and towards calorie counting.

Good Luck!
Val