PDA

View Full Version : (Quaker Steel Oats) vs. (Quaker Old Fashioned Oats)

porterror
05-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Quaker Steel
http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/images/productShots/oatsSteelCut.jpg

vs.

Quaker Old Fashioned

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/images/productShots/oatsOldFashioned.jpg

I cannot tell the difference other than the steel is a much smaller container and costs more $ than the larger container of old fashion oats...

muirsy88
05-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Steel cut are more calorie/nutrient dense than old fasioned or regular, that's all.

KryptoKnight
05-30-2007, 06:26 AM
They also taste better IMO if you're patient, which I found out I am not. 30 mins is way too long...

porterror
05-30-2007, 06:27 AM
I have never tasted steel before....Should they be slightly hard and chewy after cooked? I used a microwave for 2 mins on 1/4 a cup..

KryptoKnight
05-30-2007, 06:32 AM
The texture is definately different, but also the fact that it didn't taste like cardboard, that was the real plus. (I hate oatmeal :()

muirsy88
05-30-2007, 06:39 AM
I hate them because they take too long...i like putting my oats in a bowl with skim milk and whey and chowing down

BabyBodybuilder
05-30-2007, 06:41 AM
They're pretty much that same price, even though it does look like you're getting more from the Old Fashion. For every 1/4 cup Steel-Cut it's the same as 1/2 cup Old Fashion, so they pretty much average out in size; but not in price.

Also, Steel-Cut takes longer for your stomach to digest, so the GI is lower. Not by that much though, it won't make really any difference once cooked.

claycat
05-30-2007, 07:12 AM
If you would cook up a big batch over the weekend or whenever you have time and keep it tightly sealed in the fridge you can dip out a serving and put it in the microwave whenever you need it. Saves alot of time and you still get your better oats.

vipergq
05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I love steel cut oats!

I cook 1.5 cups in 6 cups of water and store it in the fridge.

Tastes so much better with some nice texture.

I bought instant oatmeal the other day on accident and that stuff is crap. It becomes almost cream of wheat after 2-3 minutes...

The Solution
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
you know that mixing whey with food causes a change in the PH of the food having a quicker digesting effect on ur body causing u not to get as full..

here u go

ixing the whey protein with any other types of food can induce a pH change and slow the transit time in the stomach through its digestive response to the solid food. Liquids that are not neutral in their pH can also denature the proteins.