PDA

View Full Version : gaining weight and muscle visibility

SEADRA
06-30-2004, 06:26 PM
I know I seem to have a thousand question I appreciate al the feedback. When I gain weight coming from a low cal diet will this new weight cover my muscle tone I have now?

Xanatos
06-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Depends really. If you're gaining muscle mass, then no, you will look more toned than you are. If you're gaining fat, then more fat will cover your muscles.

Emma-Leigh
07-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by SEADRA
I know I seem to have a thousand question I appreciate al the feedback. When I gain weight coming from a low cal diet will this new weight cover my muscle tone I have now?

I will not lie to you (and I have said this before - so it should not come as a surprise) but when you come off a very low calorie diet you will gain fat. This is esp true if you are medically classed as 'anorexic'... this means things like - if your BMI is less than ~ 16 (yours is, ~ 16.5 at the moment), if you have not had a period in more than 3 months, if your diet has been 'obsessive' and restricted (you have 'disordered eating'), if you are pre-occupied with weight/food/diet and if you have been exercising excessively.

This is a protective mechanism (and a stress response) of the body and not much you do will prevent fat gains...

If you get your diet and training correct and you do not stress yourself FURTHER with excessive cardio and cutting calories (in order to try to not gain weight with the old 'I am trying to gain weight, but not gain weight' trick ;)) then the fat gains can be minimised... but they will occur.

BUT - the muscle 'tone' will still be there (tone is not the word you are looking for. Muscle tone is related to a constant tension/stimulation that occurs in your muscles related to your nerves....). What might decrease is your muscle definition - because you will add some subcutaneous fat (fat that is beneath the skin).

But then, as you add more muscle mass your definition will improve and you will look leaner for a given weight - because your body composition, symmetry and structure will improve.

Just think of it as ripping off a band-aid - it is going to be uncomfortable... but you have to go through it :D

imperfectly_lou
07-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Yep, Emma got it in one... as someone who is still recovering from an eating disorder, this is what I am facing at the moment. Yes, it is slightly uncomfy, but I know it will be worth it in the end...