PDA

View Full Version : I just can't eat healthy, not appetizing!

guy121
05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
So I am basically eating ~1600 calories a day. Running twice a day mostly HIIT for 2 min warmup - 10 min HIIT - 2 min warmdown. People here told me to up my calorie intake.

I'm trying to eat, but damn it nothing tastes good. I know I'm currently starving myself since I do feel really hungry all the time, but everything that tastes good has a ton of sodium/fat/sat fat. I can't eat cottage cheese, oatmeal, and a few other things that everyone recommends. I am pretty much just chewing and chewing and downing food with water even when I'm hungry. I just want lots of salt and a fat Mcdonalds burger to fill me up. How am I supposed to eat more? Currently I'm eating 10 steamed eggs a day to help boost my calorie intake, since they taste ok and are easy enough to just pop in my mouth and be done with. Vegetables taste like ass unless I add salt/asian fish oil/other non healthy crap to make it not taste like a vegetable. Fruit is good, but I go through all our fruit in a day and it gets expensive.

I have lots of food in the freezer, but then I look at every item and they all have about 20-25g of fat for one little thing. Any suggestions?

niiick
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
learn to like it.
learn some decent recipies and/or how to cook.

Average-Joe
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
try different health foods. If you dont like oats try brown rice. If you are sick of chicken try fish or a lean cut of beef. Mix up your diet. It is very possible to eat a variety of healthy foods.

How long have you been dieting? Eating healthy can take some getting used to at first because your body is used to junk.

Bronkko
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon...

heavenly.

p0opstlnksal0t
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
your gonna have to suck it up and learn how to cook the food the way you enjoy eating it. try oatmeal w/ some splenda, spray butter ( i cant believe its not butter), and some cinnamon, or try blending oats into a whey protien shake w. a scoop of natty peanut butter for a snack. you have whole weat toast. or you can make grilled cheeses w/ fat free, sugar free Kraft american cheese, you got salads, grilled chicken, grilled veggies, all sorts of spices, etc.... dude there is soooo many things you can eat that are good for you. just do some searching.

what are your stats? height, weight, bodyfat estimate? etc... 1600 seems low for any male. im eating about 2100-2200 kcal/day and im cutting just fine. i also have an ultra slow metabolism so you may need more. im also sedentary w/ a desk job the entire day.

what kind of weight training do you do?

depo12
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon...

heavenly.

great idea...

but seriously, just learn to like it...I'm sure that's what everyone else (including myself) did

guy121
05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Well I've never liked oatmeal and when I do try to force it down it makes me want to hurl. So I really prefer to stay away from it. I have been eating sandwiches with fat free cheese on whole wheat and thats been fine, but at some point I'm probably going to get tired of it. Brown rice is another food that for some reason just tastes aweful to me.

I grew up on junk food honestly, since my parents were poor when I was really young I ate taco bell most of my life since I was 2 years old. Suprisingly was never fat though. So I think this plays a large role in the foods I like.

I am sick of chicken cooked about 7 different ways. Fish doesn't taste too great to me since I ate that for 6-7 months almost every single day since my dad had high cholesterol so my taste for fish never fully came back. I also feel extremely hungry even if I do eat a whole large fish, so am I still starving or is my body playing tricks on me?

Well I'll keep searching for different types of healthy foods I like. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Stats:
5'10" 178lbs
Estimated BF according to other's pictures on here 16-17%
I like to sit and lay down most of the day except when I do 2x HIIT every single day. I also lift free weights/pushups/crunches/ab roller/lunges/etc switch off every day from upper/lower with a day or two of rest.

p0opstlnksal0t
05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
ya bro, your just gonna have to learn to like it. there are soooo many different ways to cook healthy things to make it taste good.

lil_how_how
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Man, after eating 96/4 half pounders four times a day on a whole wheat bun with Heinz one-carb and mustard I could NEVER go back to eating those turds on white they serve at McDonalds...

tonypietrini
05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
how bad do you want to be in shape?

try to think of food as fuel instead of as something you eat for pleasure. i would rather eat crappy tasting food for 30 seconds (not that i think healthfood tastes crappy im just saying) and look great the other 24 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds of the day.

thriller13
05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Its hard to retrain old habits. Fast food is not only unhealthy for you but its also promoted learning to be lazy and never learning to cook. Learning to properly stock your kitchen with healthy foods and then build true meals out of them is not easy if you have never done it and your parents also never taught you. A lot of the foods you are saying gag you are pretty bland if not properly seasoned and part of a complete meal. If you truly hate a food its silly to force it down your throat just because other people on this board eat it. There are just so many healthy options out there its impossible that with a little effort you can build your own personal recipe list of meals that you love. I would suggest spending some time in the nutrition forum. There is a thread there full of peoples favorite recipes and another thread about posting what you are eating now. I have found tons of great ideas in both these threads. Good luck with your diet changes.